SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I changed the oil today, and decided to finally adjust the engine characteristics under the seat today. When I first looked at it, it looked like it was set to "0". Which would be a BAD thing according to the manual. Then I noticed that the little ring could come OFF. Why is that thing there, and why when you turn it, does it look like its always set to "0". Thats kinda stupid and dangerous. So I finally took it off and noticed it was set to 3. So I set it to 2, and put that little number ring back on.

But to me, the engine doesnt seem much different really. I mean, I changed the oil AND set it to Advanced, and it still feels the same. Anyone else think otherwise? I still haven't pulled the two wires yet, so hopefully I'll notice a little something when I do that.

·
Registered
728 Posts
well i put it on number 2 after my ride home from the dealership, so it had maybe 15 miles on it. then the next morning i did the wire mod. so i wasn't used to the bike enough to really tell much of a difference either way.

i am thinking about trying number 3 to see the difference and maybe it will smooth out the throttle response down low.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i put it on number 2 after my ride home from the dealership, so it had maybe 15 miles on it. then the next morning i did the wire mod. so i wasn't used to the bike enough to really tell much of a difference either way.

i am thinking about trying number 3 to see the difference and maybe it will smooth out the throttle response down low.
"Throttle Response" down low? Well, if you mean how its kinda jerky at the lower RPMs, I think thats just the engine/tranny. Cause it is like that on both setting number 3 and 2.

·
Registered
728 Posts
"Throttle Response" down low? Well, if you mean how its kinda jerky at the lower RPMs, I think thats just the engine/tranny. Cause it is like that on both setting number 3 and 2.
yea, sometimes its a pain in the ass to make a slow turn after a stop light. the throttle response on the bottom seems to good. jerky is the word.

the way the owners manual describes the settings makes it sound like number 2 would be jerky, and then the rest would be smoother.

but i think it all mostly comes down to how lean these bikes come from the factory with all the emissions BS.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea, sometimes its a pain in the ass to make a slow turn after a stop light. the throttle response on the bottom seems to good. jerky is the word.

the way the owners manual describes the settings makes it sound like number 2 would be jerky, and then the rest would be smoother.

but i think it all mostly comes down to how lean these bikes come from the factory with all the emissions BS.
Definitely jerky in settings 2 and 3. No change there for me (obviously, hence the partial reason for this thread...along with why is there the separate ring with numbers on it [confusing!]) A lot of the times I have to ride the clutch around corners or certain speeds, just so the throttle response doesnt get all jerky.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Definitely jerky in settings 2 and 3. No change there for me (obviously, hence the partial reason for this thread...along with why is there the separate ring with numbers on it [confusing!]) A lot of the times I have to ride the clutch around corners or certain speeds, just so the throttle response doesnt get all jerky.
idk why they did the knob the way they did. i was all confused at first too.

and i do the same sometimes with the clutch. maybe thats just the way big singles are. i have no idea, but i still love the bike anyways. i just can't wait for my exhaust and some other goodies.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I thought the same thing too. When I set my bike to setting "2" it was a lot more jerky in 1st and 2nd gear. It would make slow turns and stop and go traffic seem like a job. So, I set it back to setting "3" and the bike feels much better now and more controllable in slow speeds and still feels good in 2nd and 3rd gear. I have the wire mod done too. I will play with the settings again once I do a sprocket change and get an exhaust.

·
Registered
634 Posts
WOW this problem sure seam's like the same on my 07 690SM! I hope my 08 Duke is better!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts