SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At what miles have you switched over to synthetic oil in your SMR? New to these motors so I have no clue when to make the change over, thank you in advance.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I'm just about to fill my motor and I've bought the Motul 10W50W 5100 - which I think is synthetic with ester. That is it's 2nd oil change. One at 500 and valve reshimmed by dealer. Now at 1000. The 1000 mile oil was a bit dark and the filter looked dirtyish. At the next change I'll go for the 300V.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have changed oil at 250 miles, 500 miles, 800 miles and now due for another this weekend at 1100 miles. Did the valve check myself and will be doing it again with this oil change, been using non synthetic oil for breaking in motor.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I put synthetic in every bike I've ever owned asap. All of the V-twin generators I work with come factory with synthetic in them. Every vehicle I own also gets synthetic asap. I used to think it was suggested to make you spend money but from what I hear now it's just better.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Yeah, for sure. No doubt good oil is expensive but I think if you treat it good it'll do the same for you. 300V Motul stuff is around £30.00 for 2 litres

Edit. The 5100 is synthetic according to the site so I guess synthetic's been in there from day one. Well at least post 500 miles depending on what Husky/dealers fill with at new.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Cool. Also, I always do a pretty hot oil flush. Take the bike for a run. Give it a min or two for the pipes to cool. Open the filler cap and then open the sump plug. In my mind it drops the oil real fast - and messy!! - but pulls any residual shit with it. I then normally leave a bike draining overnight before refilling.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool. Also, I always do a pretty hot oil flush. Take the bike for a run. Give it a min or two for the pipes to cool. Open the filler cap and then open the sump plug. In my mind it drops the oil real fast - and messy!! - but pulls any residual shit with it. I then normally leave a bike draining overnight before refilling.
Pretty much do the same as you, part of the routine.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, synthetic oil seems like it has made a little change to the motor or it is just my imagination.... pulling better than it's been in 5th.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I'd say if you think it's better then it def is! :thumbup:

How was your old oil? I found the magnet was 99% clean, and the screens clean, just some sealant laying in the bottom of the screen holes. Filter looked a bit gunky too so get to ride this weekend, hoping to feel a bit smoother.

Love the 510's!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
300 miles on the oil, drain plug clean, screens where pretty good and main filter was like yours.

I am loving the my 510 to say the least, it is turning out to be the best birthday gift I have bought myself to date. Figured that turning 50 deserved something big and of course it had to be a bike and was my choice to retire from sportbikes with. This bike rips in the twisty's to say the least about it, can not get over the corner speed with a supermoto.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Yep they're awesome! And just get better the more miles go on them. You kind of grow with the bike, smoothing out the pitfalls and improving on the good. My oil change was prob an hour with cleaning up everything good. Don't mind that every 500.

What oil did you run with in the end? I've used the Motul 5100 10w 50w. Spec was 10/60 but dealer said it's fine with the 10/50. Have to compare notes 500 miles on and what you've used, what it's like coming out :thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts