SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok duke riders need your help. I ride ONLY my bike. Sold my car, wife has the only car. I like it that way. I'm debating for 2nd bike the SV650S (cheaper) or the Duke cause the way it looks and it is a compromised motard/street bike. I'll be at Deals Gap area in one year, until then I need a bike that is ok to ride 27 miles of highway comfortably in houston commuting and still have fun with. Gas mileage should be fair, and it should be decently dependable since its my transportation. I will have my ninja 250 still so I do have some type of backup.
I'm not interested in just BRUTE power, i don't want the temptation to go 100mph, but I want the ability to pass on the highway with no problem. Unlike my ninja which screams for mercy :lol:

Since it would be my only bike I'm trying to justify the cost difference between a normal SV and walking to to spend $9000k

1) Gas mileage
2) Power seemed less than SV, noticeably so?
3) Highway comfortable for 27 miles no problem?
4) Insurance comparison to SV less per considered "motard"?
5) Comfort level compared to SV?
6) ANY hard luggage thats removable options for commuters? :eek:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't want to keep riding the 250, I have 27 miles of highway, at 6-3 foot, and in houston traffic, i want the power of a larger bike for comfort and ease of manuvering through traffic. If I was just doing city streets, then I'd agree, but my commute is changing to highway and city with a new job.

I also consider the 250 my starting bike and want something more appealing for my daily rider, though I won't get ride of the 250, it'll be back up and wifes bike .

·
Registered
211 Posts
The SV 650 is about 50 lbs heavier and the suspension is budget on it, only preload adjustable and the fork oil is too light straight out of the factory. The KTM comes with the latest and greatest in its class, radial Brembo brakes, upside down forks, etc. If you can afford it get the Duke for sure.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

The SV 650 is about 50 lbs heavier and the suspension is budget on it, only preload adjustable and the fork oil is too light straight out of the factory. The KTM comes with the latest and greatest in its class, radial Brembo brakes, upside down forks, etc. If you can afford it get the Duke for sure.
So as all around reliable commuting FUN bike, it fits the bill? Its hard to justify the thousands in COST difference, but it seems like something that would be a great all around bike, enjoy the twisties on weekend, and take a 200 mile trip on the highway.
:hmmm:

·
Registered
211 Posts
So as all around reliable commuting FUN bike, it fits the bill?
The SV is bulletproof, a really good every day bike, easy and cheap to maintain, and the engine lasts forever.
However it depends of your requirements of fun, some might find the suspension lacking (I sure did, most who keeps their SV and serious about riding work on the suspension - heavier springs, fork oil, or install GSXR forks and ZXR shock on the rear fro example).
There is no evidence on the Duke reliability yet, time will tell, but sure looks like more fun on the weekends.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I hate to say it but for the cost I would go with the SV. Yes the duke looks cool as hell, but not worth the difference in price. You could have the baddest ass SV on the market with killer suspension, pipe, and power commander. Once tuned, you would be hard pressed to go wrong with the little SV. Cash is king, get the most out of yours! Just my .02

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
good stuff, only thing is I'm not really at the level that I would want to do all the power commander etc to it. I'm not interested in full out power/speed. The SV would probably get me into more trouble than the Duke which I've heard can hit triple, but starts getting uncomfortable around 85mph or so.

I really like the SV potential, but I'm more interested in something that has

1) usable power delivery like they both have (duke wins in lower RPM's since its a single right?),
2) looks amazing (duke hands down),
3) handles well in slow speed situations like the city (would have to give the duke props for better positioning for commuting), l
4) ess temptation to go high super supralegal speeds (which from what I've heard the duke will be better for with less wind protection than the SV650S model.... and the aggresive position of the sv naked still is more leaned forward than the duke. It is about control in the right wrist, BUT, as a newer rider with my first 600+ cc bike, I'd rather make it more difficult to be comfortable at those speeds and enjoy more of the motard speeds. Wouldn't you agree that the SV will tempt higher speeds at highway than a motard type position on the Duke?

I agree its priced high, but I don't have experince yet with upgrading/mechanics, so upgrading the SV would be expensive for me, especially not to do all the work myself. The Duke only needs a new pipe (once a cheaper one is developed for it), and I'd be satisfied!

Make sense?

·
Registered
5 Posts
go with the sv...i have one and its amazing....the power is anywhere you want it...its a v-twin...the majority of your power is below 7k rpms. it will out handle almost any jap bike you will encounter on the twisties, and its comfortable. and top speed is around 130, but you wont wanna if you get the naked version like mine..after 90 you turn into a kite.... the suspension isnt amazing, but its cheap and easy to make much better, and its really not that bad. ive been on alot of bikes and unless your all out racing its not a big deal. id take a stock sv over almost any normal "crotch rocket"... you cant supermoto it obviously...but like i said, its one of the best handling bikes out there in the sport class....

·
Registered
211 Posts
its one of the best handling bikes out there in the sport class....
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I'm sorry, but did you ride anything else, I'm having hard time believing this last statement, and yes I had an SV, and almost all other jap (and non jap) bikes have better suspension, than the SV. It is a budget bike and it feels like one too, (it can be remedied by working on the suspension). The V-twin has a very nice, predictable, linear power delivery, but any other contemporary 600 I4 (or I3) will beat it. Don't misunderstand me, I loved my SV but, it is by far not the best handling bike in its category. If you take it easy and don't push it hard, might be enough.
Oh yeah, PC3 will gain you a nice whole 3 HP, but better buy some exhaust with that too. By the time you upgraded all components you are very close to the Duke's price range.
But again who knows, test ride both and figure it out which one you like best.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I'm sorry, but did you ride anything else, I'm having hard time believing this last statement, and yes I had an SV, and almost all other jap (and non jap) bikes have better suspension, than the SV. It is a budget bike and it feels like one too, (it can be remedied by working on the suspension). The V-twin has a very nice, predictable, linear power delivery, but any other contemporary 600 I4 (or I3) will beat it. Don't misunderstand me, I loved my SV but, it is by far not the best handling bike in its category. If you take it easy and don't push it hard, might be enough.
Oh yeah, PC3 will gain you a nice whole 3 HP, but better buy some exhaust with that too. By the time you upgraded all components you are very close to the Duke's price range.
But again who knows, test ride both and figure it out which one you like best.

Comparably, how does the power delivery and acceleration on the Duke compare to the SV since it has lower overall HP? In the real world, its not going to be much noticeable till you get to the track right?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I just think it's cool that you daily commute in Houston on a bike only. I use to do the same in Houston and then later in Austin.

I keep trying to figure out a way w/ my current job that I could do it again.

·
Registered
211 Posts
You have to look at the overall picture and not just focus on pure power. The KTM has claimed 65, the SV has claimed 70, however the KTM is about 50lbs lighter!!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just think it's cool that you daily commute in Houston on a bike only. I use to do the same in Houston and then later in Austin.

I keep trying to figure out a way w/ my current job that I could do it again.
What do you do? What's keeping you from it? I sold my car with 1 week riding experince and started cold turkey!

It's the best part of my day (besides my honey... married year and half! woo woo!). Makes the corporate world more bearable. I love breaking the mold a bit, sure its a challenge.

BUT I LOVE IT.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts