SuperMoto Junkie banner

Suzuki DRZ-400SM vs. Aprilia SXV 550 - Need advice and help please...

20K views 31 replies 14 participants last post by  Brakelate 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie and looking to buy a supermoto as my first real bike. I have a motorcycle license and at one point had an old '92 Suzuki GSXR600 but barely rode it.

I'm trying to decide between an '08-'09 Suzuki DRZ400SM and an '08 Aprilia SXV 550. I'd use the bike mostly for street riding but would like to ride it occasionally on light dirt trails...

I know the Aprilia will require more maintenance but are there any other pros and cons I should know about regaring both of these bikes? Would love to hear any advice on what you would buy if you were in my situation. I'm 6'0 215 lbs but i think both bikes are around the same size?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice,

Supermotowannabe

#2 ·
Don't compare a Desmosedici to a Ninja 250.

"more maintenance" is an understatement. The 550 is, IMO, a purebred race bike. Unless you are a very well versed mechanic, or can afford the maintenance on one, I'd look elsewhere.

Obviously, you have a lot of reading to do. The DRZ is a great bike for what it is, and I don't really have any regrets with my bored out 434 DRZ. I like being able to commute on it and still get ~40mpg and only having to do oil changes every thousand miles.

#10 ·
I looked at all sorts, if your a newbie or coming off a 250 then you will be happy with the DRZ. DRZ400sm spanks my old tweaked gpx250 and thats with smog tubes on the DRZ. Dont let people put you off, DRZ is fun. If you thinking of the DRZ but think it wont be enough then get one ride it, enjoy it and sell it for what you paid for it.

#12 ·
You have gone full troll on here now.:headscrat

#14 ·
Wow switch that's an oldie but a goodie! And to op all these guys know what's up when it comes to advice! They'll always point you in the best direction!

#17 ·
just out of curiosity, for my own education -- how does the Husqvarna SM510 compare to the DRZ 400 SM and the Aprilia. I'm assuming the Husqvarna SM510 is also probably not a good bike for someone with no experience?

SMWB
510 is a lot closer to the Ape, but more maintenance friendly. If your looking at the Ape, than the 510 is not a stretch at all.

10w60 or 20w50 Oil every 500 miles, and a filter every 1000, valves (easiest you'll find on any bike except a 2smoke) every 1500 - 2000.

....and the LEDs comment was just me having fun, since I'd didn't have anything to add. Ignore ApTard....it's probably just his time of the month.

#22 ·
The LED's was funny, i thought only crotch rockets had those..

honestly i dont know the difference between the 510 and 610 .. i assume its 500cc vs. 600c but then again what do i know? isnt the 610 a bit of a stretch for a total newbie?

SMWB
The SM610 will be a lot more forgiving than a 450/510/550 will be. It's got good brakes and suspension, and it's a blast to ride.

#19 ·
The Husky 450/510 are race bikes with blinkers. The 610 is much more street oriented and relaxed. Think DRz400 with upgrades.

The Ape 450/550 is basically the same deal as the Husky 450/510 is the same deal as any KTM that startes in a 4 or 5. Parts are more, oil is more and more frequent, valves need checking more often, etc... What you get though is more motor, better braking, better suspension, less weight, worse seat, etc....

If you are looking for a reliable street tard, the DRZ, WRX, 610 are all good choices. If your pockets are a little deeper, look at KTMs 690s (pretty sweet street tards).

#20 ·
I wouldn't consider it a "Stretch" as far as performance goes or the ability to handle it as a new rider.

The main concern, where it really does go in a different direction is in the areas of maintenance and cost of crash repair.

The DRZ may seem common and boring, but that is why there is a huge aftermarket to customize it and make it unique and your own. You will drop your new bike. You need a bike with affordable, easy to locate parts and reliability.

You start lusting after a schnazzy "exotic" bike, and you'll just regret it when it breaks, costs a fortune to fix it, IF and when you can find the parts.

You gotta remember... there is a time and a place when the "average, girl next door" is the smart choice. You go for the hottie, and she's guaranteed to be a fuggin nut, high maintenance pain in the ass that after spending alot of money on her, you will end up alone and looking at the other guys having fun with the down to earth normal girl.

Don't let your little head do the thinking for the big head. If you follow your hard on, do so at your own risk. You've been advised.

#21 ·
FINALLY , welcome back and my time of the month is next week.

#23 ·
Hmm.....

thanks for the advice and explanations guys,

a member of the board contacted me about his 2009 DRZ 400SM that he wants to sell in Massachusetts... i'm waiting for him to get back from a business trip to get more pictures of the bike.. the bike has 1100 miles on it..

I also really want a bike with no problems.. are european bikes similar to cars in that they are more defective than japanese models?

Cost isn't really an issue for me and i was actually wanting to get something new.. seems like the DRZ 400SM and the Husqvarna 610 are no longer being imported into the US... isnt the KTM a bit too much though for a first bike?

SMWB

#24 ·
Responding to brakelate..

well put brakelate.. but actually im not thinking with my little head or hard on at all.. the bike I really want is the ducati streetfighter, but as a newbie i know i'm not ready for that and figured a supermoto was a good beginner bike to get some experience and my riding skills up.. maybe after a year or two of riding a supermoto i can graduate to a ducati streetfigther (the newer smaller model)... :hmmm:

I do like the fact that you can really customizing the DRZ400SM.. that would be a fun hobby....

#25 ·
I won't bash the "European" bikes vs. "Jap" bikes, since it's a very personal thing for owners on here.

But, yes. Typically in a European brand you will get a better performing bike, but at the cost of maintenance, reliability and a limited support / dealership network.

Until you have the skills to use a Honda Accord to it's fullest, why go and buy a Porsche?

Speaking of Supermoto bikes in general, they are THE best starter bikes out there. Light weight, durable, affordable and so easy to ride.

I wasn't trying to be insulting. Just trying to make a point. I see so many people lusting after the "top shelf" stuff, and as a beginning rider, it is just a huge waste of money and source of frustration. Go for something "user friendly". When it gets boring, you master the skills needed and you get the first year or so of little learning tip overs and silly stuff out of the way, then go get your dream bike.

#26 ·
thanks..

i'll probably end up going with the drz 400sm, seems like i really can't go wrong with it.. hopefully this one in massachusetts works out and the shipping cost to the Northern Virginia/Washington DC area wont be too expensive.. this particular bike only has an exhaust mod so would also enable me to mod it to my preference..

it does seem like a lot of supermoto (street legal) models are being discontinued for the US... that's kind of concerning..

#27 ·
That is the case across the board. ATV's to Sport bikes, there are alot of new bikes that are a couple years old just sitting on the showroom floors. So they stopped importing new ones. If there are new models of anything, they basically are just changing graphics or something and selling the same bikes, as the economy has pretty much put the skids on sales.

No more new, or totally upgraded models I am afraid until things pick up again and they can show a profit.

#29 ·
hmm

that's interesting about the US economy and the impact on bikes.., but it's a bit curious that i think the DRZ 400SM is still being imported to Canada.. also Europe I think?

i guess the US motorcycle market is not as strong as those areas.. the car industry in the US seems to be doing alright though

#32 ·
Hahhaaaa. Yup. Got the same thing here. The "slow and steady" gal, and then one to rip my wanky off and slap me in the face on the few occasions I can afford or am willing to risk taking her out.

More often than not, when I step out, I'm with the mello and predictable one... the DRZ.

And Debi (also a DRZ and KTM-SMR owner) likes to sample some spice, as well as the good old predictable MeatLoaf. And, I too sense that she still has a soft spot for her DRZ, even if she put too much pepper in the last batch of home cooking. Sometimes its better not to mess with the original recipe. Thus my little scooter is left as close to stock as possible.

It's that silly SMRookie that likes spicy food and modding up his DRZ.

:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.