SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie and looking to buy a supermoto as my first real bike. I have a motorcycle license and at one point had an old '92 Suzuki GSXR600 but barely rode it.

I'm trying to decide between an '08-'09 Suzuki DRZ400SM and an '08 Aprilia SXV 550. I'd use the bike mostly for street riding but would like to ride it occasionally on light dirt trails...

I know the Aprilia will require more maintenance but are there any other pros and cons I should know about regaring both of these bikes? Would love to hear any advice on what you would buy if you were in my situation. I'm 6'0 215 lbs but i think both bikes are around the same size?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice,

Supermotowannabe

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Don't compare a Desmosedici to a Ninja 250.

"more maintenance" is an understatement. The 550 is, IMO, a purebred race bike. Unless you are a very well versed mechanic, or can afford the maintenance on one, I'd look elsewhere.

Obviously, you have a lot of reading to do. The DRZ is a great bike for what it is, and I don't really have any regrets with my bored out 434 DRZ. I like being able to commute on it and still get ~40mpg and only having to do oil changes every thousand miles.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Don't compare a Desmosedici to a Ninja 250.

"more maintenance" is an understatement. The 550 is, IMO, a purebred race bike. Unless you are a very well versed mechanic, or can afford the maintenance on one, I'd look elsewhere.

Obviously, you have a lot of reading to do. The DRZ is a great bike for what it is, and I don't really have any regrets with my bored out 434 DRZ. I like being able to commute on it and still get ~40mpg and only having to do oil changes every thousand miles.
+1

Thread can end here before there are 100 of the same replies lol. Welcome to smj.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I would also add that an SXV would not make a good bike for a newbie. It may hold up well when you crash, but your body doesn't.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok.

thanks for the advice guys.. so how about the DRZ 400SM? is that a good starter bike? seems like the maintenance is cheap and its somewhat easy to mod and I guess its pretty reliable?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
perfect starter bike. cant go wrong. cheap + easy maintenance and super reliable. look around the forum, youll see many people talking highly of the drz

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
The SXV will try to kill you at every opportunity. It is an EVIL bike. Think of it as motorcyclings equivalent to Jason.

I got my two worst motorcycling injuries on my SXV. :(

Got myself a Husky 511 now and it is a joy in comparison.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I looked at all sorts, if your a newbie or coming off a 250 then you will be happy with the DRZ. DRZ400sm spanks my old tweaked gpx250 and thats with smog tubes on the DRZ. Dont let people put you off, DRZ is fun. If you thinking of the DRZ but think it wont be enough then get one ride it, enjoy it and sell it for what you paid for it.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks

For the advice guys..I'm currently shopping around for a drz can't wait to get one....don't think I'll be able to do LEDs I'm in northern va and pretty sure they're illegal as they are on cars :hmmm::headscrat

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Wow switch that's an oldie but a goodie! And to op all these guys know what's up when it comes to advice! They'll always point you in the best direction!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Husqvarna SM510 vs. DRZ 400 SM vs. Aprilia

just out of curiosity, for my own education -- how does the Husqvarna SM510 compare to the DRZ 400 SM and the Aprilia. I'm assuming the Husqvarna SM510 is also probably not a good bike for someone with no experience?

SMWB

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Have you considered a more street friendly Husqvarna SM610? I wanted something in between the two and decided on one and have been very happy with it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
just out of curiosity, for my own education -- how does the Husqvarna SM510 compare to the DRZ 400 SM and the Aprilia. I'm assuming the Husqvarna SM510 is also probably not a good bike for someone with no experience?

SMWB
510 is a lot closer to the Ape, but more maintenance friendly. If your looking at the Ape, than the 510 is not a stretch at all.

10w60 or 20w50 Oil every 500 miles, and a filter every 1000, valves (easiest you'll find on any bike except a 2smoke) every 1500 - 2000.

....and the LEDs comment was just me having fun, since I'd didn't have anything to add. Ignore ApTard....it's probably just his time of the month.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
cool..

The LED's was funny, i thought only crotch rockets had those..

honestly i dont know the difference between the 510 and 610 .. i assume its 500cc vs. 600c but then again what do i know? isnt the 610 a bit of a stretch for a total newbie?

SMWB

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
The Husky 450/510 are race bikes with blinkers. The 610 is much more street oriented and relaxed. Think DRz400 with upgrades.

The Ape 450/550 is basically the same deal as the Husky 450/510 is the same deal as any KTM that startes in a 4 or 5. Parts are more, oil is more and more frequent, valves need checking more often, etc... What you get though is more motor, better braking, better suspension, less weight, worse seat, etc....

If you are looking for a reliable street tard, the DRZ, WRX, 610 are all good choices. If your pockets are a little deeper, look at KTMs 690s (pretty sweet street tards).

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I wouldn't consider it a "Stretch" as far as performance goes or the ability to handle it as a new rider.

The main concern, where it really does go in a different direction is in the areas of maintenance and cost of crash repair.

The DRZ may seem common and boring, but that is why there is a huge aftermarket to customize it and make it unique and your own. You will drop your new bike. You need a bike with affordable, easy to locate parts and reliability.

You start lusting after a schnazzy "exotic" bike, and you'll just regret it when it breaks, costs a fortune to fix it, IF and when you can find the parts.

You gotta remember... there is a time and a place when the "average, girl next door" is the smart choice. You go for the hottie, and she's guaranteed to be a fuggin nut, high maintenance pain in the ass that after spending alot of money on her, you will end up alone and looking at the other guys having fun with the down to earth normal girl.

Don't let your little head do the thinking for the big head. If you follow your hard on, do so at your own risk. You've been advised.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts