SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi so in the middle of rebuilding my engine, come to checking the clearance between the vales and the cams. one problem one of the intake clearances are wrong, there is no clearance between the valve and the cam. the shim that is in the valve at the moment is 2.90 looking on the service manual it suggests that i swap it for a 2.80 i just thought this sounded like it wouldn't be enough and i dont want to go out and buy a full pack of shims for ?40 just want to have to buy the one aha, but thats just me any advice?

thanks

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
hi so in the middle of rebuilding my engine, come to checking the clearance between the vales and the cams. one problem one of the intake clearances are wrong, there is no clearance between the valve and the cam. the shim that is in the valve at the moment is 2.90 looking on the service manual it suggests that i swap it for a 2.80 i just thought this sounded like it wouldn't be enough and i dont want to go out and buy a full pack of shims for ?40 just want to have to buy the one aha, but thats just me any advice?

thanks
Whats making you do the rebuild? What are you doing to it? What broke? Valve intake clearances generally tighten up until you get low compression then it just won't start and needs new valves/top end and a grind.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi sorry for the slow reply, i was rebuilding my engine due to my piston seasing and killing the bore :L
i have some pictures if u like pretty nasty! was caused by the thermostat going and it being on the track just completely cooked the engine

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hot cams 9.48 kit on ebay. With oem shims around $10, it doesnt take many wrong guesses or valve adjustments on this and future ~400/450s to justify a kit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hotcams-Valve-Shim-Kit-9-48mm-/231100927002?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35ceb04c1a&vxp=mtr
i would of bought the kit the only thing is im from the uk and dont want to pay 20pounds for postage then another 20 pounds for the import tax, end up paying over 100 pounds for a shim kit in the end :/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts