SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to this forum. I have bought my first bike Suzuki DRZ 400 SM (2008) and have been riding it for a one month without any problems. Few days ago it suddenly died when I was riding it on a motorway and now has very odd knocking sound coming from the engine and it is impossible to ride the bike. After starting it always stops just in few seconds with a strong crackling sound. Guys in a local service told me the engine probably needs to be rebuilt. I am attaching a video...

Any suggestions welcome! Thanks.

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
My first spot to check would be the automatic cam chain tensioner followed by the valves and an oil change to look for metal....then the stator to see if any thing is broke off in there. Unless you already did the stator loctite fix.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Ouch that sounds nasty. Darkside has the right idea, drop the oil first look for any big chunks of metal. Next check your valve clearances, while you have the valve cover off pull your exhaust cam and check and/or remove your auto decompression. Throw the acct in the trash. Don't run the bike anymore either, something is clearly very very wrong with your motor. Did it sound like the noise was more in the top end or bottom?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies. I will do the oil tomorrow. Also my friend who is a mechanic is coming to see the bike tomorrow, I will tell him about your advices. I am a newbie, so I am not sure about the other things you have mentioned. The bike was OK before that, not a single bad noise. It was a sudden death, something went terribly wrong with the engine, while I was riding it at about 130km/h (80mph).

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Not that the year matters on a drz but from the video that does not look like a 2008 model. Mine is an 08 and they came with renthal fatbars and flowery looking pattern within the graphics and tank.
However if it is an older model then the other replies would be correct to start with with the loctite fixes.
When it started in the video did u shut it off or did it die on its own?
Maybe you will get lucky and something like a loose and destroyed stator bolt.
It will still cost some money but not an engine rebuild hopefully.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Thinking a little more about the bike and my comments about the year of the bike may not apply if you are located in another country?
You don't post where you are from in the world but maybe they didn't send the same setups all around the world.
Kind of like the 2013 blue and white version in the states was available for e a few years elsewhere.
Keep us posted on what you find.

Kevin

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I live in Ireland and the bike is imported from UK. It doesn't look like most of the 2008 DRZs I have seen around the internet. I didn't shut it off, it just dies on its own...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts