SuperMoto Junkie banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

· Registered
680 Posts
Every one is different - so YMMV on settings. You'll need to test stuff out for your self. Your weight, ride style etc etc will impact your final 'best' settings

But *waives hand* softening the compression on the forks should make things a lot better. With it set to max it'd be like riding around with 2x4s and not forks. I'm a bit shocked you have teeth left. Mine would have rattled out. Hell the 10 clicks out of 'sport' could be rather jarring over highway ripples.

I should note that my fork settings are on the ENDURO forks. I've got a 690E with SMC wheels and brake - Weee

· Registered
541 Posts
WOW! I just took it for a short ride and it felt totally different, in a good way. It will be interesting to see how it reacts on the track.

Paab, I will be there on Monday and will look for you. I assume you will be on the KTM?

I'm not sure what the "blue" group means. Several of my friends who have done track days with us in the past, signed up months ago and they are in the intermediate group, which is where I usually am. Two of us signed up a week ago and the only spots left were in beginner, so that's where I'll be. I was kinda hoping that I'd get bumped up to intermediate after a couple of sessions, but no big deal if I don't. What group is blue? I would like to follow you around for a couple of laps, if at all possible.

And thanks for the knowledge! Bike feels great.

· Registered
3 Posts
WOW! I just took it for a short ride and it felt totally different, in a good way. It will be interesting to see how it reacts on the track.

Paab, I will be there on Monday and will look for you. I assume you will be on the KTM?

I'm not sure what the "blue" group means. Several of my friends who have done track days with us in the past, signed up months ago and they are in the intermediate group, which is where I usually am. Two of us signed up a week ago and the only spots left were in beginner, so that's where I'll be. I was kinda hoping that I'd get bumped up to intermediate after a couple of sessions, but no big deal if I don't. What group is blue? I would like to follow you around for a couple of laps, if at all possible.

And thanks for the knowledge! Bike feels great.
-- where are we Match.com....? "i want to follow you around for a couple of laps..."

-- no amount of susp. tweaking will help out that poor old 690smc you refer as a KTM(gp637)......its been thrashed beyond its life cycle...recognize it, own up to it.....take action....."upgrade"

-- you're going to a track day, don't know basic suspension settings, let alone know that you've been riding around for the last 5yrs with compression dialed full in.....come on......you're in the beginners group because it is where you belong (praise the lord) !:nutkick:

· Registered
696 Posts
I'll be on the KTM. We run 4 groups at Jersey. blue is high intermediate. But I will ride with some of the other groups as well. Certinly can show you around for a few laps. It's a date! :rofl:

· Registered
111 Posts
I've got comfort on the front, standard on the rear... i found standard fork settings bone shaking, it was just too uncomfortable for the road, felt like I'd be thrown off the bike mid corner if there was a bump. Seems to be fine now, a little stiff but I did 355 miles in a day on it last week and I was fine.

· Registered
216 Posts
I was just thinking (always a dangerous thing), what if we went with a lower weight fork oil to soften the high speed dampening? Instead of having to redo the fork valving. I have no idea what weight comes stock.

· Registered
541 Posts
gp637.....refer to passing rules for TonyTrackDay as they state clearly....."beginners group - no passing in the turns".... :laughings

ps. no wheelies :rofl:

As the forum name suggests, this is for supermoto riders. I'm sure there are plenty of "I have a 200hp bike to make up for the size of my penis" forums. Go find one of those.

· Registered
696 Posts
I was just thinking (always a dangerous thing), what if we went with a lower weight fork oil to soften the high speed dampening? Instead of having to redo the fork valving. I have no idea what weight comes stock.
5wt. There is a 2.5 wt from racetech, but it's not enough of a difference.

· Registered
859 Posts
I used 2.5w Motorex fluid when I did a fork service. Not much if any difference felt. One quick and easy improvement was going to SKF fork seals and wipers, not huge difference, but a little better (some of the new KTMs now have SKF seals as standard equipment, and is it listed as a model improvement)

If you are in there anyway to do seals though might as well try out removing some of the valve stack thickness. At the time I did mine I was not confident enough to try experimenting, but next time I'm in there will try to use lighter stack. Also it uses triangular shaped valve shims so I don't know how easy they are to find same style but thinner shims.

As for cheap, remove pre-load is free. SKF seal kits are a little pricier than the standard WP ones but worth it to me. They claim to last longer too

· Registered
696 Posts
Stoked for 2 days around NJMP! Can't wait to try my new front end settings on the fast, smooth corners of the thunderbolt. I'm expecting to be able to push my corner entry speeds up a fair bit based on my laps at NHMS and some street rides. The bike already "liked" the Jersey track, now it should be sublime.

· Registered
541 Posts
It was great meeting you and thanks very much for showing me the way around Thunderbolt. You're a great rider and amazing how fast you can get the 690 around that that track. I was watching some of the video I took of that day, and it was amazing how different my lines were before and after we did that sesssion together. Thanks again, and I look forward to the next track day.

· Registered
696 Posts
Hey, thanks, I could see you picked up a lot of the lines I showed you very quickly. I can watch in my rear view mirror, and even by the 3rd lap you were looking a lot smoother and on the line. Nice riding.

We're coming back in Sepetember. Sign up!

21 - 40 of 45 Posts