SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi tarders,

Sorry if doubleposting this question but I can't find any good threads on this for the 690.

Would appreciate some help on settings for the fork and shock.
I tried the Sport setting and the fork went so stiff that it felt like it was something wrong with the front brake.
For my riding skills I felt the handling was not improved in this setting. Went back to Standard. Which I think is ok as long as I'm not hard on the front brake (or hard of the throttle), then it tends to dive quite hard.
The shock felt ok in Sport setting, or more likely I don't feel as big difference as when going from Standard to Sport on the fork other than the compression.

So, what settings do you use?
Maybe someone has got a nice basic setting for streetriding that I can start, that works better than going Standard all the way? This could avoid me from clicking myself to insanity. :headscrat

I'm in no way a pro rider, just want to get the most out of this excellent bike! :D
I'm 195 pounds.

/Rickard

· Registered
680 Posts
With any suspension settings, your milage my vary. These are my settings numbers are counted back from the respective max/all in/stiffest setting. So turn the adjustor all in, then back out the number below
These are set for sporting road/Track day

Forks:
Comp:17
Reb:13

Shock
Low speed Comp: 14
High speed: 1.5 turns
Rebound:13

- I'll note that my shock rebound is a touch off - could probably stand a could a bit more damping as my rear tire was showing more wear on the leading edge of the sipes after the last track day. And it's possible I could take a bit off the fork compression, but seems to be rolling well presently.

And yeah - wen I got mine it was set to the 'sport' settings all around and I thought something was wrong with the front brake as well

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow! That's some quick replies! :clap:

I'll try these settings (at least one of them tonight) and see which one suits me best.

Paab, how does the 15mm adjustment affect steering and overall handling? Falls in quicker in turns? I think it is kind of quick as it is.

(Just got it back from service and mapping today) :D

· Registered
696 Posts
It does quicken it, but not enough IMO. It also just makes the front feel more planted and gives a little more feel. Try it. If you don't like it you can put it back. Everyone I have encountered thinks it's a huge improvement.

· Registered
37 Posts
Yesterday I went in and messed around with the shock settings, and set them to sport via the manual. When I took it for a spin afterwards the rear felt super unstable and like I was almost sliding around corners. Granted this is in part due to the chicken strip down the middle of my back tire, I am going to try out some of the setting you all have posted. Plus I am eager to try out the 15mm drop in the front forks this weekend. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

· Registered
696 Posts
If you put sport setting on the front, it will feel like that. In fact, nevermind comfort settings, you really might want to back the compression clicker ALL THE WAY out. set rebound to comfort setting. drop the front. Then try the rear at sport settings. Crank in some preload in the rear as well. You want to get some weight on the front end of this thing or the suspension just doesn't work.

· Registered
696 Posts
Korr, try reducing the front compression even more. The set-up has way too much low speed compression damping. The only way to improve it is to give up the high speed compression damping and back the clickers out. If you dig into the shim stack it seemes light on compression, but removing most of the low speed portion of the stack will allow you to set the clickers back to 10-12 out AND have some good compliance and feel up front.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I tried the Sport/Comfort setting Paab suggested and I'm very happy with it, I'll try Yuu's settings aswell.
And slide the forks up 15mm.

As soon as the rain stops.
I hate this piece of shit Swedish summer. Worst in aeons.

· Registered
157 Posts
Korr, try reducing the front compression even more. The set-up has way too much low speed compression damping. The only way to improve it is to give up the high speed compression damping and back the clickers out. If you dig into the shim stack it seemes light on compression, but removing most of the low speed portion of the stack will allow you to set the clickers back to 10-12 out AND have some good compliance and feel up front.
I understand correctly that you propose to put the comp = 10, rebound = 5?
Sorry, the difficulties of translation.
Thanks for the tip!

· Registered
541 Posts
So, I've never been much of a suspension guy, never really learned too much about it. I'd done numerous track days on sport bikes at Loudon, and more recent on a 690 at NJ. I knew the 690 didn't feel great, but I seemed to be going around the track pretty fast, so I assumed it was just the nature of the beast, so to speak.

I'm doing a track day this monday in NJ, and thought I'd check the threads and look for some suspension settings. This is what I found on my bike:

The compression damping screws (at the bottom of the forks), were turned in all the way, totally bottomed out. The rebound settings were back 10 clicks, or sport mode as the manual calls it. The rear was set to Sport mode (5 clicks).

I set the damping to "comfort", or 20 clicks back, and the rebound to 15 clicks, which is what the manual suggests for comfort. I left the rear as it was, Sport. I also took Paab's advice and dropped the forks 15mm.

One think I did notice right away is that when I sit on the bike, the front forks compress a little bit. This was not the case before. When I sat on the bike before, the front forks didn't move. So Paab, what kind of difference do you think I'll feel, especially considering I went from 0 clicks on the compression to 20? Do you think I should set them somewhere in the middle first and see how they feel, or is "comfort" the best setting for this bike?

Thanks for your input.

· Registered
541 Posts
Paab,

I didn't see a preload adjustment on the front forks. Is there one?

Also I'm a little nervous about going 20 clicks back on the compression. I tend to do a lot of wheelies, is this going to cause the forks to bottom out when I come down?

· Registered
696 Posts
THere's no preload adjuster. You want to remove the spacers inside the fork cap.

If you can bottom the SMC in I'll give you 100 dollars! lol. No, it won't be that soft. There's too much low speed comp damping even with the clickers all the way out.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts