SuperMoto Junkie banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
don't ever jump into something over your head.

I always say just ride within your limits. You alone know when you're riding fast, and as long as you stay in that comfort zone you're not in over your head. That being said, you can ride the wheels off your bike, but be mindful of these limits, which will increase gradually with experience. being in the comfort zone gives you confidence and feels safe.

The first time you wheelie out of a turn it might startle you, but after a while, you learn what happens when you aggressively give a lot of exit throttle, and what you can and can't get away with in terms of body position to get it up or keep it down. you learn how much throttle you need to give it before the front wheel wants to lift, and already the comfort zone is increasing. it doesn't move in leaps, just small incremental steps....

·
Registered
446 Posts
Good read man, thanks.

Took my SM out for the first time in awhile on Sunday and FAILED to check my tire pressure.
Almost dumped it on a wide sweeping turn as the front sidewall folded under the rim.

Rode home slowly, measured 7 psi up front 12 in the rear.:headshake

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would like to thank you for your post. This will be my first full season on any motorcycle. I had a full set of gear bought before I had bought my bike. Every pay check for about 4 months, I'd buy a new piece of gear. I'd like to thank this forum and posts like this that shed light on the 'not so sexy' parts of riding motorcycles. It is always humbling reading post like this.

·
Registered
525 Posts
The Mental: Making sure you have a clear mind is essential. Too often have I rode with a heavy conscience, anger and grievances that I carried from before the ride began.
Absolutely!!!

Last spring a friend and I were blitzing cross-country on our way home from watching another friend at the track, he crashed hard during his last session, totally destroying his bike (he broke his hand and bruised a shoulder).

During the rainy ride home, I was thinking about his crash and worrying that his injuries were truly as minor as they appeared.

In a split second I mentally stopped riding my Blackbird in the middle of a corner and got the front tire on the paint, nearly tucking it. A quick flashback to my MX days and some throttle and clutch and I remained on the road and on my tires. I found a place to stop within a couple miles to pull the seat out of my ass and get my head back together.

Point being, you have to RIDE THE MOTORCYCLE the *entire* time that you're on it. I stopped riding for a split second because I was mentally distracted and damn near went off a cliff.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree with you about riding gear. Usually quality costs more. But having the gear on always is something I don't do. If I'll make a quick run to the shops, I'll have my helmet and jacket on with jeans and sneakers. I know that I can crash even on those short trips but I'm stupid enough to take the risk. I just don't seem the point to gear up fully for a 5km run. When I really go driving around the countryside, then I'll wear every piece of protective gear I have. Usually the speeds are greater then than on my short rides.

Now when I think about it, I've never heard that someone riding a supermoto had been killed in an accident. Not atleast here. Usually the fatalities are sportsbike riders or older guys who have bought a huge bike for their first ride. Ofcourse you will get killed on a SM if you drive like an ass.

Lastly, don't drink and drive! Even if it's legal to drink a beer and then hit the roads, don't do it. It will have an effect on your reaction time and coordination.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
We have lost some smj brothers on the street. I can't remember his username but I think it was a kid with a yamaha? that someone saw in his local news.

slidnrin recently passed away as well, although that was a freak incident

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
:headshake
Lastly, don't drink and drive! Even if it's legal to drink a beer and then hit the roads, don't do it. It will have an effect on your reaction time and coordination.
I just wanted to clear something up here...

I dont drink and drive, ride and booze, get high and fly or anything that would impare my judgement in the slightest.

The times that I have "stumbled" into a bar and found a new beer were times where I knew i would be immobile for several hours. The three times I can recall doing so I had a beer with either a burger, fish n chips or some other wholly unhealthy meal and found some solice in trying out a new beer.

In no way whatsoever am I implying one should drink and ride - I am also not one who subscribes to the zero drinking the day of riding philosophy. I encourge responcibility and good judgement, i hope that was conveid effectivly.

P.S of the three new beers I tried, two are my new favorites and I keep them well stocked!!!

Thank you for all the comments and feedback - I hope this works for some. I for one have left the street - so wish me luck on the track fellas!

:bannana:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I use a rear bike flasher as well. Works on the bicycle(Where I use it even during the day), can't hurt on the motorcycle.

Thanks for the post Lafayette. As a daily driver, I don't mind rain.
I might add a few;
When stopped at a light or stop sign watch your 6. Have the bike in gear clutch in, plan a way out if the vehicle behind you is not stopping.
If I ride my SMR at night I hang a LED red cyclist's light on my back pack, jacket tail or collar.
When going through an intersection scan left and right for vehicles which may run a light or stop sign.

God Bless

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just my 2 cents, I learned a very valuable lesson last night. Dont think youre better than that, too smart to make that mistake, too much of a hardass to take yourself out. Some of us street tarders are our own biggest threat. I jumped off a sidewalk into a left hand turn at about 35mph last night and landed right on top of a dew covered man hole cover with cold tires and lost my bike on the street for the first time. Luckily there was little damage to me or the bike but it was an awesome wake up call to how little jeans do and how much gloves do (mx vs leather)

Another one I learned is if you are leading a newer rider, ride at THEIR pace not yours.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Bumping this up as I hope to make some edits once my accounts are merged. Been too long and I have some edits I would like to make.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts