SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I tend to ramble, so I'll try to keep this (relatively) short.

First off, the name's Todd (call me Todd, Reeper, Skullface, whatever); relatively new to sumo, but not to bikes or other fast things with engines. I grew up on dirt bikes in the 80's, and learned how to ride on an '81(?) YZ50 Zinger that I still have (needs a resto though).

From there I moved onto an XR80, then split time between my father's KX125 and his old '82 XR200 (which still runs like a sewing machine and starts on the first or second kick btw). My father (who saw Take It To The Limit in theaters) raced that KX125 in the 80's and 90's on ice in the winter, and dirt in the summer (MX and flat track). The KX would win by a straightaway or more in the 125 class (on ice), so he moved up to the 250's, and before long, he was embarrassing some of the 500's (in his 40's at the time) :thumbup:.

In my teen years I started getting more into building muscle cars (I've got pics to post if there's any interest) and less into bikes. The loss of a good friend in a street bike accident (not his fault) kinda turned me off to the concept of ever owning one. I also did a 5-year tour in the Army after 9/11 that kept me away from the few friends I had that were still into MX and stuff. Lately though, I had the chance to screw around on a buddy's YZ450 a few times, I've got the bug again. :D

I've been lurking here for a few days and have seen some rad bikes and knowledgeable folks, which is more motivation to get/build myself a sumo street bike. I'm not opposed to racing eventually, but for now, $$$ and comfort-level dictates that it'll just be fun summer transportation. As far as what to buy/build, I'm open to pretty much anything, and I welcome ANY and ALL suggestions, opinions, and advice. In the long term though, I do have kind of a whacko idea I'd like to see come to fruition. Please feel free to blast me if this is complete lunacy, but I keep seeing everyone adding high compression pistons to their bikes.... has anyone ever considered turbocharging? I've seen some sport bikes with turbos, and sure, there'd be some plumbing issues to take care of, and it wouldn't really be "practical", but a small, low-boost turbo would theoretically replace the high compression job, sound friggin' awesome, and who gives a crap about practicality anyway? I became addicted to turbos after buying a Buick Regal T a few years ago, and I wouldn't do it for hp gain or anything (that's what I meant by low boost), just more for the "wtf was that!?" factor as you spool in traffic and whistle by some squids with fluorescent mohawks on their helmets.

That's all for now... later :bike:

·
Registered
801 Posts
Hello all,

I tend to ramble, so I'll try to keep this (relatively) short.

First off, the name's Todd (call me Todd, Reeper, Skullface, whatever); relatively new to sumo, but not to bikes or other fast things with engines. I grew up on dirt bikes in the 80's, and learned how to ride on an '81(?) YZ50 Zinger that I still have (needs a resto though).

From there I moved onto an XR80, then split time between my father's KX125 and his old '82 XR200 (which still runs like a sewing machine and starts on the first or second kick btw). My father (who saw Take It To The Limit in theaters) raced that KX125 in the 80's and 90's on ice in the winter, and dirt in the summer (MX and flat track). The KX would win by a straightaway or more in the 125 class (on ice), so he moved up to the 250's, and before long, he was embarrassing some of the 500's (in his 40's at the time) :thumbup:.

In my teen years I started getting more into building muscle cars (I've got pics to post if there's any interest) and less into bikes. The loss of a good friend in a street bike accident (not his fault) kinda turned me off to the concept of ever owning one. I also did a 5-year tour in the Army after 9/11 that kept me away from the few friends I had that were still into MX and stuff. Lately though, I had the chance to screw around on a buddy's YZ450 a few times, I've got the bug again. :D

I've been lurking here for a few days and have seen some rad bikes and knowledgeable folks, which is more motivation to get/build myself a sumo street bike. I'm not opposed to racing eventually, but for now, $$$ and comfort-level dictates that it'll just be fun summer transportation. As far as what to buy/build, I'm open to pretty much anything, and I welcome ANY and ALL suggestions, opinions, and advice. In the long term though, I do have kind of a whacko idea I'd like to see come to fruition. Please feel free to blast me if this is complete lunacy, but I keep seeing everyone adding high compression pistons to their bikes.... has anyone ever considered turbocharging? I've seen some sport bikes with turbos, and sure, there'd be some plumbing issues to take care of, and it wouldn't really be "practical", but a small, low-boost turbo would theoretically replace the high compression job, sound friggin' awesome, and who gives a crap about practicality anyway? I became addicted to turbos after buying a Buick Regal T a few years ago, and I wouldn't do it for hp gain or anything (that's what I meant by low boost), just more for the "wtf was that!?" factor as you spool in traffic and whistle by some squids with fluorescent mohawks on their helmets.

That's all for now... later :bike:
Just do yourself a favor. This is equally as tacky as a fluorescent mohawk and seems to be about your speed:
http://www.sunamiturbo.com/

·
Registered
522 Posts

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
UncleBob also did a thread on here about his Turbo build. It's totally do-able, but it takes some knowledge and trial and error; there are no kits available.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts