SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to supermoto i raced mx for 5 years. I bought a yamaha r6 for street riding, its fun but i think ill have more fun on a supermoto then i could and a crouch rocket. How well do supermotos ride on the street? as far as highway riding? i work about 25 min away from my job and normaly about 20 min on the highway somehwhere around 75 80 miles an hour. Thanks for the info...

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
i have an 08 Suzuki drz400sm... i too work 30 min away (all highway). they are fine for cruising on the highway. but they just dont have anything more to give really when your cruising at 75. it still has a lil bit but not much since it tops out right around 100 stock... but what it lacks on the top end it totally makes up for in every other way.. it definitely takes some getting used to not having the balls out power of a supersport (i came from streetbikes).. but once you realize what all you can do, its awesome.... i dont even miss the super speed power anymore

im sure others will be able to give a better explanation.... im new and ive only had a sumo for a month and the last 2 weeks ive been out due to an injury at work that gave me a huge laceration on my face (fun fun)... BUT... i love it so far. its so much more fun than i ever had on my streetbike.. going on the road, off the road and anywhere you want really

not to mention better gas mileage and cheaper insurance.. and depending on what you get the bike itself is cheaper. some sumos are pretty freakin expensive. i went the cheaper route. i got my brand new 08 drz OTD for $6000. yeah ive heard its the slower of the bunch. but its still super fun.. and its cheaper. and once i got the 3x3 mod, jet, and exhaust. its great

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
It depends on what you get. A race prepped bike is TONS of fun on the street, but the trade-off is much more maintenance. Something like a KTM 690SMC, Husky 610sm, Xr650R, or the smaller factory SMs can do that without issue. (though the smaller ones will really be rung out at 80mph.)

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah i was thinking about getting a ktm inbetween a 450 and upper 500's cc, thanks for the info:thumbup:... any more? and i could ride the back streets to work might take a little more time but if its on a supermoto it might just be worth it.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Yeah i was thinking about getting a ktm inbetween a 450 and upper 500's cc, thanks for the info:thumbup:... any more? and i could ride the back streets to work might take a little more time but if its on a supermoto it might just be worth it.
nope your wrong

if your on a sumo it most definetly is worth it! :lol:

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tooshea

·
Registered
265 Posts
I rode sport bikes for years, and just bought my first street legal SM(KTM 690 SMC) and absolutely love it. A blast in the twisties, but works good on the freeway too. Tops out stock around 120(says KTM). I dropped a tooth up front and topped mine out at 110, so plenty of power and good top end.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts