SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about getting a DRZ or a SV650 for my first bike. Ill mainly be commuting ~5 miles to work and joy riding but Ill have to make a 200+ mile trip every now and then to go between school and home during breaks.

Is it worth it to get the DRZ and just deal with the long ride once in awhile, or should I stick to the SV.

Obviously you guys are a little biased :D but some opinions would be great

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
drz will be fine on an occasional 200 mile trip!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have owned a SV standard and DR dual-purpose model, as well as about 20 other bikes, and now a WR250X.

I think I would go with the DRZ under your scenario. Now if you live in a part of the coutry where the road offers good visibility, and dry, warm, sand free roads, and you planned on longer distance recreational street riding on the weekends, I would seriously consider the SV. The SV is a very nice street bike for a beginner or an experienced rider looking for something to keep them out of jail.

·
Registered
525 Posts
As stated above, depends on what kind of riding you plan on doing.
An SV is quicker, more comfortable, more versatile and more of a "real" motorcycle
but you can't take it down a set of stairs. or beat on it in the mud, dirt, fields, woods, etc. etc.

If you're sticking to street riding, basically the DRZ will be better on tight, twisty stuff and the SV will be better everywhere else (more open roads)

The SV seat height (I believe) is lower than the dizzer, but after sitting on both the DRZ definitely feels like an easier bike to start on (it's my 1st bike too :D) because of the lower weight. Feels like you're riding a REALLY heavy mtb bike rather than a 400lb tomahawk missle ready to propel you into the nearest guardrail.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Dude Drz on the highway isn't as had as people make it out to be. I can easily cruise at 85 without ringing its neck. And mine is stock except.for exhaust. Get the Drz and you won't be disappointed

·
Registered
573 Posts
SV650 is one of the best first bikes in the biz. Easy enough for a first bike, but you won't outgrow it in a year. But a supermoto it ain't :bannana:

·
Registered
425 Posts
If you have to do the long trips, try and do it on backroads, it takes longer, but doesn't seem like it. Sitting on the freeway on a supermoto wears you out.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I own both.
My '02 naked SV has a GSXR front shock, 636 rear shock, Power One tires, and a full scorpion exhaust.
My DRZ has a 39mm FCR carb, Yosh RS-2 exhaust, shocks resprung and revalved, and maxxis DOT slicks.

They are different weapons for different roads and moods. The DRZ is way too much fun on anything under 65 mph and city riding. It's so forgiving and the margin for error is very wide.

The SV is a great bike too. The power is so predictable and it is much more comfortable on the highway. The seat is more comfy but the riding position is not. I take it on the twisty back roads too, just not as much and not as fast as the DRZ.

My commute is 5 miles with a quick shot on the interstate and the DRZ gets maybe 55% commuting duty.
If I were going on a 200 mile highway ride I would definitely take the SV, but if I had to pick one bike, it would be the DRZ.

My suggestion is to wait until you get a GREAT deal on either one. I bought my SV for $1500 and put $500 into it. And DRZ-SM's can be found for around $2500 if you are patient.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I've owned both. For what you're doing, I'd try to pick up a DR-Z, put a decent seat on it, and maybe look into a removable windscreen. Or at least put the money into a good quality helmet that's stable at higher speeds. MX helmets are great for 5 miles, or all day going slow, but after 30-40 min at high speed they're terrible.

·
Registered
364 Posts
My first bike was an SV. It was one of the best and most versatile bikes I've ever owned. It just as happy on the track as it is on the road. It's really a fun bike, it's cheap to insure, it has a huge following, it's easy to repair, and parts are plentiful and cheap. You have a tough decision really. Your also going to go faster on an SV, it's highway friendly, and it gets great gas millage.

A supermoto like the DRZ is more of a dedicated bike, so your going to sacrifice some comfort commuting with it.

If I were choosing a bike that was my primary means of transportation is would be the sv hand down. Just save up and get a sumo when you have the money.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I also had an SV650 as my first bike. Loved it. Would still have it if it hadn't been stolen.

As first bike, it really depends on where you're looking to ride. Around town, a motard or an SV will both be fine. Really twisty stuff, and motard will be better, moreso as the speeds drop. Also, you can venture offroad with a motard. I wouldn't necessarily recommend that with the SV.

On the other hand, if you plan on doing much distance riding, the SV would be better. A good example is my situation...I have yet to get my DRZ to Deal's Gap, as it would involve either an entire day of backroads getting there, trailering it, or two hours on the interstate. None sound appealing. Whereas my other bike (SV1000S), I just hop on and go.

Also, do you think you'll want to take it to the track? Well, might be worth it to consider what tracks are nearby and what kind of bikes are they condusive to.

Finally....a big plus for the motard....it's your first bike. You're likely to drop it. A motard will take that abuse far better than just about anything else out there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Everyone is making really good points here. Ill just keep an eye out for a good deal and see what happens. Ill also keep an eye out for a larger displacement SM. I made a thread last week about a 625 SMC that is still for sale near me.

Also, for anyone that is in the market for one, some guy in Fairfax, VA is selling his Aprilia 450 for 3500. Wouldnt want that maintenance but here is the ad.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/2438128123.html

·
Registered
451 Posts
Had a DRZ and still have an SV. Honestly, you can't go wrong with either one.

I beat the piss out of the DRZ. Wheelies, jumps, a spectacular highside and more miles on the track than the street. The only problem I had was a bent set of bars due to a cartwheel from the highside.

The SV is sporty enough to embarass most riders that buy the lastest and greatest sportbike, if you have a hint of skill. It can be riden for miles and miles with ease and keeps on ticking.

Whatever you get keep on top of maintenance and you will be happy. Good luck! Oh and wear your gear!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Had several of each: SV and DRZ. I still commute 5 days a week on the DRZ SM. No better commuter IMO. Do some interstate with it but not as enjoyable. Done several 150-200 mile rides on it on the weekends. When the roads go straight, I don't wring it out and usually cruise around 60mph. Handles great in the tight stuff.

The SV is a good commuter but I usually only ride it on the weekends or on long multi-day trips. Fiddle with the suspension and it handles very well and wheelies about as easy as the DRZ. It's fun to embarrass riders on "better bikes" on the backroads with it...especially the Italian v-twin variety. Afterall, it's a cheaper, more reliable version of a Monster.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I would NOT consider many other motards other than the DR-Z for a beginner rider, unless you are already well versed in motorcycle maintenance. Other choices would be WR-X, maybe DR650. Honestly though, the DR-Z does absolutely everything you ever need it to do, and more.

I love SVs, and my wife had one for her first bike. One thing to watch out for is the engine braking. On/off throttle mid corner can be a problem in parking lot style scenarios. They get better milage on the highway than the DRZ, but worse on city streets <55mph.

I rode the SV for quite a while when I didn't have a motard, and it was a light bike, but not NEARLY as fun to toss around as a DR-Z. The DR-Z also wrecks incredibly well. I thrashed my fist bike (YZF600R) because it was so heavy and I was new. It didn't always wreck well. On the DR, I've wrecked about 10 times as much as I ever did on the yamaha and I've never not been able to ride home. Well, the bike wasn't ever not rideable. ;)

·
Registered
107 Posts
i havent owned either but i have a 250x and my dad had a 06 sv650s. Really is up to you im going to tell you that that 200 mile trip is going to suck on the Dr straight up... Not worried about the motor or anything but your ass is going to hurt when you get off and if your going in a straight line it is boring... I commute 5 mins to work and the bike is perfect and go out on the weeknds to mess around. Cant say enough good things about the Sv its a great bike like everyone mentioned. My dad put a slip on a Filter and a timiing advancer and it really woke the bike up would wheelie really easy. In the ends its up to you either bike you wont be dissapointed in there both solid the newer sv's are fuel injected thats a plus in my book... Just find a deal on something look for a Drz with the mods already done so you can save some bones.. Good luck and let us know what you got

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Like previously mentioned,it depends on where you ride. I had a similar delemma. I chose the DRZ because the suspension was superior over the SV. It had full adjustability compression/rebound. The SV didn't. That reason and Supermoto bikes ability to go anywhere is why I chose the DRZ.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts