SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before anyone comments. Yes, I understand that I am on a supermoto forum based website. Now, what would be more fun to hooligan around on and sometimes daily commute. I've ridden plenty of dirtbikes and atvs all my life, I know how to handle them and rip some mean wheelies. But a streetbike would be a new thing to me. What I'm mainly looking to do is just ride with some friends and daily commute maybe 10 miles to work. Time to convert a supermoto would not be an issue, and neither is the price. But almost everyone in the area has a streetbike. What should I buy? What is more fun and less maintenence? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a street bike and actually looking into getting a supermoto. The street bike (cbr 600rr) is a lot of fun but tends to be a little boring on small commutes. I am looking into getting a ktm 690 enduro to sm that way I keep the size and higher speeds for my short highway drives to work and keep the street bike for long rides/track use/riding one up/riding with other sport bikes if necessary. I'm sure there's plenty of other opinions though

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have had several 600s and 1000s. IMO it's easier to have fun on a supermoto. I would rather drive a slower bike fast than a fast bike slow. The reason I stopped riding sport bikes was riding a 200 mph bike 35 on the way to work. Plus I can climb stairs on my wr lol, not to mention I now look for dirt roads instead of avoiding them

·
Registered
69 Posts
I like having both, got a ninja and the 450, different tools for different jobs. Sumo's are probably the more versatile of the two though, race it at the cart track, hit the trails, plus the whole hooligan thing. :arsenal

But like I said, I like having both. What's you commute like? 10 miles of back roads, or 10 miles of freeway?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like having both, got a ninja and the 450, different tools for different jobs. Sumo's are probably the more versatile of the two though, race it at the cart track, hit the trails, plus the whole hooligan thing. :arsenal

But like I said, I like having both. What's you commute like? 10 miles of back roads, or 10 miles of freeway?
Mostly just a state route pretty much straight and theirs some nice open spots to just about hit 150mph but then it's just a bunch of back roads and power lines near me which are decent for riding, then theirs a small city where I work (potholes, cops, and stoplights) then theirs some quarries and other decent places to ride dirtbikes.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've got a KTM 625 SMC and a Honda CBR600RR.

Since I picked up the KTM I haven't ridden the Honda except when the KTM is down for maintenance. I'm honestly at a point where I'd trade both in for a newer KTM sumo in a heart beat. The riding style is what is the biggest difference to me. Hunched over on the Honda for a certain amount of time is just to much. And I don't like being forced to just well paved roads..

I've rode a DRZ400 and could see a bit of disappointment in comparison to the 600RR which is why I went with the 625SMC. I think it's basically what you want to ride really, everyone here will say the same thing. Supermoto to hooligan around town and sport bike to highway ride.

I will add at this point it seems the Honda is more of a reliable bike at the moment. Granted I purchased my KTM neglected. But I don't really mind the maintenance part of owning motorcycles.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've had a few motorcycles. I wouldn't own a converted mx bike as a street bike... Unless its a second bike.

I had an s1000rr and sold it to buy my hypermotard. I'd definitely recommend looking at one of the supermoto inspired big motards, like the ktm 990, hyper, aprilia. You could even look into a naked, like a monster. They're kind of the happy medium between sumo and supersports.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got a KTM 625 SMC and a Honda CBR600RR.

Since I picked up the KTM I haven't ridden the Honda except when the KTM is down for maintenance. I'm honestly at a point where I'd trade both in for a newer KTM sumo in a heart beat. The riding style is what is the biggest difference to me. Hunched over on the Honda for a certain amount of time is just to much. And I don't like being forced to just well paved roads..

I've rode a DRZ400 and could see a bit of disappointment in comparison to the 600RR which is why I went with the 625SMC. I think it's basically what you want to ride really, everyone here will say the same thing. Supermoto to hooligan around town and sport bike to highway ride.

I will add at this point it seems the Honda is more of a reliable bike at the moment. Granted I purchased my KTM neglected. But I don't really mind the maintenance part of owning motorcycles.
Thanks for the input man, what do you think about doing a crf450r conversion?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've had a few motorcycles. I wouldn't own a converted mx bike as a street bike... Unless its a second bike.

I had an s1000rr and sold it to buy my hypermotard. I'd definitely recommend looking at one of the supermoto inspired big motards, like the ktm 990, hyper, aprilia. You could even look into a naked, like a monster. They're kind of the happy medium between sumo and supersports.
The only thing is in NY state where you don't find a lot of those brands. Especially for cheap. Mostly just honda, yamaha, suzuki, and kawasaki

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have two bikes. A KTM 640 and a Kawasaki zzr600. As much as I would love to have the KTM as my only bike as it is far more fun! It's just not practical. I commute by bike as well as use them for fun on the weekends. The KTM does require more maintenance. It's one of the more reliable supermoto's out there and it's still down for the count on a regular basis. You can't own a sumo and not ride it hard. I thrash the shit out of mine, that's for sure! And then I must fix it...

Supermoto's in my opinion are second bikes. Maybe a larger capacity hybrid like the KTM 990 would be the way to go but honestly. I don't think those are supermotos anymore. They're street bikes that look like sumos.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you can live without that 150mph you mentioned, SUMO! :)
It depends on what you enjoy most about a bike.
I personally like a light, highly maneuverable, flickable, go anywhere bike with good acceleration and comfort.
Hi speed runs are fun once in awhile, but the other stuff are more important.
I merged (sold) my FZ1 and WR250R into a KTM 690SMC.

Not having many SUMO's in the area is another plus to getting one! IMO...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you can live without that 150mph you mentioned, SUMO! :)
It depends on what you enjoy most about a bike.
I personally like a light, highly maneuverable, flickable, go anywhere bike with good acceleration and comfort.
Hi speed runs are fun once in awhile, but the other stuff are more important.
I merged (sold) my FZ1 and WR250R into a KTM 690SMC.

Not having many SUMO's in the area is another plus to getting one! IMO...
Yeah theirs only one other sumo in my area! How's the maintenance on it though?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Long maintenance intervals is one of it's selling points!
About the same as any other street bike - much better than a dirt bike.
What do you think about a crf450r or a yz450f sumo conversion. I've heard the crfs are pretty high maintenance and are in for repairs regularly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What do you think about a crf450r or a yz450f sumo conversion. I've heard the crfs are pretty high maintenance and are in for repairs regularly.
Any converted MX bike is gonna be more work than a factory sumo. I currently ride a 690SMC which all I have to do is fill up with petrol, press the button and ride :)

But for pure riding fun a converted MX bike is lighter and more agile - my mate has a 2012 450 sxf converted to Sumo and it is a blast, light and flickable. It does need the oil dropped regularly but apart from that is fine for the road. It would be rubbish to ride on Highways but on the bends and tracks is awesome.

Depends what you want, the 690 is a very capable fun bike that can do bigger distances, reliably.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Supermoto's in my opinion are second bikes. Maybe a larger capacity hybrid like the KTM 990 would be the way to go but honestly. I don't think those are supermotos anymore. They're street bikes that look like sumos.
I thought the same until I got my hypermotard.

It's WAY more sumo like than I ever thought it could be w/the weight (420lbs). It's very front end happy, rides really light and flickable but ha more power and much more highway-cruising-commuting ability. Only downside is: I won't take it off road because its simply too expensive to crash.

I also have a race prepped RMZ 450 supermoto. It is not street ridden. It is lighter, but I wouldn't want to ride it on the street. To me the driveability (fueling) is no where near as refined as any of the more refined street bikes. Plus kick start sucks at times.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Any converted MX bike is gonna be more work than a factory sumo. I currently ride a 690SMC which all I have to do is fill up with petrol, press the button and ride :)

But for pure riding fun a converted MX bike is lighter and more agile - my mate has a 2012 450 sxf converted to Sumo and it is a blast, light and flickable. It does need the oil dropped regularly but apart from that is fine for the road. It would be rubbish to ride on Highways but on the bends and tracks is awesome.

Depends what you want, the 690 is a very capable fun bike that can do bigger distances, reliably.
I second that. A mx converted is alot funner but also more work. Which is part of the fun for me. Unless you plan on going over 600 to 800 miles or more in one trip which I wouldn't recommend on a mx bike anyways, a mx converted is a lot of fun. A lot of guys do change oil on the road though.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
It all depends on traffic and how far you want or have to ride and the type riding you want to do-

I built my first sumo in 1981 from a Yamaha 250 MX -
figured what could be more fun than a dirt bike with street tires-

Never owned a multi cylinder street bike -just 1 cylinder thumpers -
but I would buy a Honda VT500 twin if I could find a good one -

Personally I find riding in a straight line Boring as Hell and would rather
drive a car on a commute - AC -music- no sweating ect-
but I live in the 4th most traffic congested city in the US -

Think about a WR 450 - makes a very good sumo -

1 - 20 of 30 Posts