SuperMoto Junkie banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
yea son!!! scala is where its at.

same setup im going for variant and scala
Not to threadjack, but....
My next helmet won't be another Variant. Why? I want an integrated sunvisor !!
And If you don't already have the Scala, save your pennies and get the G9x or the new Packtalk. They can connect more riders at the same time, which is not something the Q3 does.
Or go with one of the higher end models from Sena, depending on what your group rides with.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I love my Variant.

its a bit noisy but FYI I noticed if you install the "Chin Curtain" that comes with the Variant (if you buy a new on), it makes it sooooooo much quieter and feels nice on your chin.

I may order the "breath box" as well to keep it from fogging as well.

Overall awsm helmet, MX styling with full street function.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hands down love my icon variant, it came with two face shields, one clear and one smoked which is great on sunny days. Plus with the visor vented you don't get that "rip your head off" effect when going quick, for me the noise level is perfectly fine with just the helmet alone. I would definitely look for some sort of sale on it as they are a bit pricey... But IMO worth it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I wear a shoie DS Hornet because it fit my head better. Pricey but worth it. It's light well vented, u can use goggles with it, shorter visor than MX and it came with the pinlock anti-fog shield. I also use the chin curtain with all my helmets because it does a good job at cutting down the wind noise.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I'm looking at the Bell MX-9 Dual Sport. It seems pretty light and I can get a great deal on it.

Bell has come a long way since it was bought back by it's employees.

Dave

·
Registered
65 Posts
I love my Variant.

its a bit noisy but FYI I noticed if you install the "Chin Curtain" that comes with the Variant (if you buy a new on), it makes it sooooooo much quieter and feels nice on your chin.

I may order the "breath box" as well to keep it from fogging as well.

Overall awsm helmet, MX styling with full street function.
Agreed %100 haven't tried the curtain thing mines still around somewhere I don't mind the noise though my CRF street moto has a built engine, and chopped Pro-Circuit T4 so I rarely hear wind hahaha

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Ya, I couldn't help myself. I bit the bullet and bought the Icon Variant. It is amazing. Got it $100 off at Revzilla, which helped. Got caught in pouring rain on my first ride with it though, and I was surprised how dry the inside stayed through the 20 minute downpour that filled my motox boots to the ankle :lol:

·
Registered
337 Posts
I just got an LS2 MX453 Supermoto helmet and love it! It runs narrow, so if you have a round head maybe not? But it has a super vented visor, I almost don't feel it on the freeway at all. It also has a great shield, very clear and optically correct. It's actual fiberglass, very light and was less than $150! It is the same helmet as a Speed and Strength SS2500.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I'm a fashion whore and I love the airflow and look, so I have to wear an MX helmet. Shoei VFX-W, goggles only. Its good at any speed, but I admit my bike is geared low for urban assault, so my top speed is only 145 km/h.

One thing that no one's mentioned yet is that if you have an MX helmet and find its visor pulls a bit too much at high speed, you can pull out a dremel and widen the holes in the visor a bit for a significant airflow improvement. helps if you're doing longer highway day rides and finding your neck's tight at the end.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I obviously couldn't care less what I look like (it's obvious because I ride a supermoto) so it's a full face sportbike helmet for me every time! Also, for those who say a mx helmet is just as loud as a sportbike helmet... :headscrat

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't think that you will find a quieter helmet. At a certain speed, the noise will still be persistent. As said in the comments above the best option for you might be the earplugs, so don't spend money in vain on a new helmet. But if you're still looking for a cool look to fit Supermoto, invest in a good set of sports clothes and the matching helmet. Even though you're on a college budget, you can find some pretty affordable sets. Try it because it's the cheapest option.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Pretty sure he's graduated by now. Thread was started in 2015 :p

Reactions: Red Flash
21 - 34 of 34 Posts