SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am fairly new to Supermoto riding, and I come from the world of motocross. I have been riding with my motocross helmet and goggles, but the wind noise is insane above 40 mph. I am wondering what y'all think about helmets? I am on a college budget, so it can't be too expensive, but should I go the dual-sport (motocross-looking) helmet with the visor, or a road-bike helmet? I just want a quieter ride without so much wind resistance, but a cool look to fit Supermoto.

Thanks!
Rhett

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, sounds good. I will definitely try them out.

Is there much of a difference though in having a face shield? Or are they all about the same noise level?

·
Registered
477 Posts
I've ridden with an MX helmet on the street, and with good earplugs it really isn't bad at all. I like the airflow on hot days.

I have an Icon Variant now that I really like, but still use earplugs. The Variant is a bit pricey, but I got a 50% off deal a while back on a discontinued graphic.

It is definitely going to be quieter with a full face helmet.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Ok, sounds good. I will definitely try them out.

Is there much of a difference though in having a face shield? Or are they all about the same noise level?
noise level is all about the same.
Some goggles will whistle or if the strap flips it can make noise... but overall they're all comparable.
the face shield is nice because bugs and splashes dont hit your face.... goggles are nice because of the airflow... so its whatever you feel like there.

around town I sometimes take the stupid route and wear my MX helmet with sunglasses... without the goggles it sounds the same. if I am going on the interstate I sometimes pickup one of my sportbike helmets because the visor catches wind and gets annoying.... plus pebbles at 65mph hurt my cheeks... im a wuss like that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok sounds good. Thanks for the info, I will stick with the MX helmet for now if the sound is about the same.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have 3 helmets that I wear on a regular basis: MX, Icon Variant and Full face . I also have 4 bikes ranging from dirt to sportbike. Here's what I know :

You can do 100mph with a MX helmet but it feels like 140
It's nice to have a peak for low sun so MX and the Variant are tops at dusk and early morning or in winter.
It is much smoother in a full face, aerodynamic helmet. It also makes you ride quicker because it 'feels' like you're not going as fast.
MX helmet in the rain sucks!
People pull over to let me past more in my Variant because it looks mean.
If I was to choose just one helmet it would be the Variant. It does mist up in the cold months so I have a full face that is specifically for winter. But really... I need 3 of them.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I have and like my Variant, but I don't wear ear plugs...I listen to music when I ride (cell phone through Scala Q3).

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
You can do 100mph with a MX helmet but it feels like 140
YES! I rode my CBR one time with my MX helmet on... Going my usual 90mph on the interstate, I turned my head a bit, the visor caught wind and it caught me off guard.
huge diff.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Many great replies here... I have both options, MX and Full Faced... I switch them as I see fit. On colder days, full face makes more sense.

I like the look of MX on a Supermoto, but the full face is quieter and less windy, so the comfort is often more worth it than the "look".

Wear earplugs with both options.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts