SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for your help. I am new to supermotos but not new to motorcycles. I currently ride a 2003 triumph speed triple 955i. I now want a supermoto bike for a second toy! Something i can stunt around town and not worry about abusing to much. I want to buy something used because i cant justify buying a brand new supermoto only to tear it up...I was thinking of spending between 2 and 4 grand on one (i know broad price range) but if 4 grand will get something a hell of a lot better than 2 i can justify spending the extra money. I don't know much about what supermotos are best for overal stunting and going crazy on. I would be riding this thing mainly around town. My question is what are some good supermoto bikes that you would recommend i buy between 2 and 4 thousand?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Sounds like a drz or wrx would be the bikes to get for your price range. Might be able to find a converted MX bike but probably not. A converted MX bike will be a little more fun if you're just planning to ride around town.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
thanks for the reply! I have been doing some searching and I am really liking the look of the 2007ish husqvarna 610's and 2008 ktm 690 although i am defiantly foreseeing my budget and the point of buying something cheap to beat up.....But i really want something that performs!!! I don't know how its going to feel going from a 955cc speed triple to a 610cc or 400cc bike

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Get a DRZ and be done with the debate.

Super reliable, affordable to purchase, maintain and modify. Very capable, even if you have to learn how to maintain momentum rather than just rely on sheer power alone.

This makes you hone your skills and ultimately is much more rewarding and safer on the street for your body and license status.

I went to the 400 from a Gen II Hayabusa. Sure, it's a bit underpowered, but it's stable and fun as hell.

VERY nice modded up and clean DRZ's can be had right in that price range, or a near new stock one, if you wish to do the mods yourself.

Mine is only jetted, and has been toured, raced, off roaded, and routinely shames much bigger bikes. You'll just find yourself looking for the right environment to exploit it's advantages; Tighter roads, dirty and rough pavement. Forget the high speed roll ons, drag racing up an on-ramp or from a red light. In minutes, you'll never miss it as you'll be giggling and goofing around like an 8th grader on an BMX bike.

Welcome and good luck. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sm

I bought an '06DRZ 400sm with 1,100 for 3 grand that already had Akrapovic exhaust and have since added 434 cylinder works with manual cam chain tensioner (420.00) new hot cams from flea-bay (175.00) and I found an FCR carb in good shape from an
'00 YZf426 (130.00) I rebuilt and jetted with JD jet kit (100.00)
There's your 4 grand and a killer Super Moto. Complilments my KTM 950sm perfectly!

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
I was going throughout the drz/wrx debate when I was shopping too. The FI is what sold me on the x. And i thought it looked better. Both are easy to find, capable, and have a very sting aftermarket pats and mods. Either would be excellent for your purpose. Seems like for "stunting" more people are going with the x. They're about the same price and both have nearly no maintenance.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Personally if I had 4 grand to spend I would find a wr, crfx or ktm exc and convert it. You can find later model ones around here in the 3 grand range and find the supermoto setup for a grand or so and be ready to go. I would go with the off road versions to get the electric start and the lights. My buddy just sold his nice 05 525 with dirt and supermoto setup, street legal for 4200.

I could never go the WRX route, not enough power iin a 250 for me. My 625 is wanting for power sometime, of course I generally ride at 10,000 feet or better. I doubt you will ever find a 690 for 4 grand, if you do snap it up. For me the fuel injection has been a non issue. My carbed bike runs great from 5000 to 12000 and I dont have to worry about the electronics.

If any of the companies would come out with a 450 version of the WRX that would be the cats meow.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I have a 675 trumpet and my XR650R makes it feel calm in comparison NO JOKE. Up to 60mph that is. I say go with the dizzer, I wish I would have for one simple reason... Suspension. My XR is a fuckin tits fun bike to ride but I can out ride the stock suspension and I'm no professional by anyone's standards. Make it rain dude, the DRZ will so every single thing you want it to and has a good resale.

·
Registered
216 Posts
DRZ or WR250

These are both very reliable bikes. I traded in my R6 for the WR250X and haven't missed it much at all. I would like another bike I could slab 500 miles a day on though. . . . anyway . .

The 250 is plenty of power for me as long as the guy in front of me isn't braking for long sweeping corners :rant:

What sold me on the WR was the seat position, very dirt bike like over a drz with more of a dual sport position in my opinion.

Seriously the only bike I think I'd take over mine is the Husky 450 thats a SUPERmoto

I ride with aprilia 550s ktm 690s drzs and husky 450-610s and don't have a problem keeping up and passing in a corner once in a while. mostly back roads, state routes, dirt gravel roads and random woods.

DRZ if you want torque and carb
WR if you want FI and light weight
Husky 450 if you find some bone head selling it for 4gs or less :thumbup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well guys i was looking to get a supermoto for next season but just today i was hit by a nissan altima on my speed triple,....Lady was speeding didn't see me and and i went flying, I hit the ground and Popped up so fast almost as if to say its not my time im still breathing and once i was standing i couldn't believe i was...I hobbled off the road and then felt a horrible pain in my foot. I thought it was broken, I got taken away in a ambulance and my bike and her car on a toe truck....All is ok with me, badly sprained/ brused foot more will be known soon..the lady had to be going 60mph she hit me so hard....Anyway bike might be totaled and I easily have 3 grand of aftermarket accessories that should be covered under my insurance so that plus what they give me for the bike alone i might have a little more to spend on a new bike!....Husky ktm? lol or maybe a new triumph or ducati lol :rolleyes:Thanks for the feedback and ride safe.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Good to here your alright. Might be Husky time.:D:D

·
Registered
324 Posts
No drz!!!

They are lacking in torque so greatly you have to jump on them or let the clutch out wide open to get them to lift the front end. Just a too heavy underpowered bike. Go wrf, ktm, or converted crf.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
you have to jump on them or let the clutch out wide open to get them to lift the front end. Just a too heavy underpowered bike..
no way. a modded drz will pick up the front in 2nd just by nailing it and can easily lift 3rd with a tiny bit of clutch and proper technique. they are almost bulletproof and if you want something to beat up... theyre great bikes and very reliable. almost zero maintenence, also cheap, and have a huge aftermarket following and a ton of parts that are EASY to find. cant go wrong getting a drz for your first sumo

·
Registered
637 Posts
They are lacking in torque so greatly you have to jump on them or let the clutch out wide open to get them to lift the front end. Just a too heavy underpowered bike. Go wrf, ktm, or converted crf.
What are you talking about? My mostly stock DRZ (jet kit, 3x3, exhaust) will loft the front no problem. Either you haven't actually ridden a DRZ, or you don't know what you're doing.

·
Registered
324 Posts
ya good one.

Relax. Im just saying that the bike is pretty heavy for huw much power it has. I am used to bikes that have a lot of torque. My street ride is a buell xb12s and i also have a wr450 supermoto. I didn't mean to hurt anyones feelings about their drz's but i just didn't think they had much torque at all. I could pin back the throttle in every gear and the front only tried to loft in second. I am very experienced and have been riding woods for over 15 years and I definitely know my way around a dirtbike. Just because someone says your bike isnt that powerful is no reason to get upset. :D

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Were not upset. But supermoto Isnt all about Huge hp numbers. Were saying you dont know what you're talkin about because everyone knows letting go of the clutch with it wide open on ANY bike is a terrible idea, and if that's what it takes for you to get a drz on one wheel, you obviously don't know what you're doing. I can get a bp wheelie going on my 250 in 5th gear just by bouncing and standing on the passenger pegs. No clutch at all. And telling someone not to get a drz for their first sumo for the reasons you described earlier is pure craziness. They are a very wise choice for a first sm.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The only reason why its not a good first bikeis because people that are going to grow and develop in the sport are going to grow out of it too fast. It is a great beginner bike but a 450 isn't that much quicker but down the road is far more upgradeable if you decide that you want more performance out of your bike. Just coming at it from a financial perspective.

Obviously i was kidding about dumping the clutch wide open. Seriously just an overexaggeration but they do feel underpowered to me and that was just an opinion.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
wrong again. even very experinced riders love the drz. a ton of people here have gone from liter bikes to a drz400. they love the reliability and the easy of maitenence. from a "financial" perspective, the drz is still a better chouce than the 450 race oriented bikes due to the low cost of ownership and the initial price of the bike itself. (assuming you find a nice used bike)

i ride the piss out of my 250 and have for 3 years and dont see myself outgrowing it any time soon.

we get it though. the bike doesnt have enough power for you. the person that started this thread wants a supermoto as a second toy. if i remember right "something i can stunt around on and not worry about tearing up"

the drz's are TANKS. you almost cant tear them up if you had to. he wasnt asking what would be the best race bike.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts