SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been considering doing this circuit on a supermoto bike. Actually, it'd be a hoot if we could get a bunch of sumo guys to do it together (we could go out in our own session). Has anyone been there on a SM bike? More important still, is anybody game for it!?

I guess my concern is that even though Shenandoah is a relatively short track, would the straights be too tapped out for your typical 450 (like my X)? I know the Apes would eat it up, but i'm not looking forward to revving the snot out my bike for a whole day.

Other than that, the turns and layout look like an absolute ball bust. www.teampromotion.com has several dates available. Late summer works for me. How about Aug 28?

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Roger Lyle has had track days on Shenny and some sumo's went. They (Masma) are talking about building us a full on sumo track (as opposed to using Washington Kart Circuit which we do now) using part of Shenny and adding a badass dirt section.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I know a few people that have done it, and all had a blast. They usually don't use the carousel for bikes and cut through the crossover. I don't know how they do it now, but a few years ago they were using it for a few sessions at the end of the day. Since they cut out that part of the track, there isn't a very long straight, so any sumo should be fine. But then again the people I know who rode it were on 525+ bikes.

I forgot to add that they use the old ram turn instead of the 1, 2, 21, 22 turns there. The only runoff for those turns is about 5 feet to a concrete wall

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Not much runoff... couple BAD places (bridge) where if you go off it is a bad, bad, day.

I hit an indicated 117ish on the back straight on my 560 with OEM gearing (short gearing).

Barry

·
Registered
377 Posts
Roger Lyle has had track days on Shenny and some sumo's went. They (Masma) are talking about building us a full on sumo track (as opposed to using Washington Kart Circuit which we do now) using part of Shenny and adding a badass dirt section.
That would be frickin' sweet!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have ridden my DRZ400 there a couple times and had an absolute blast. I will be there Aug 28, come on out

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I'd love to ride that track but cost is an issue for me. I don't belong to any trackday organizations, so for me to do a single day I'm looking at $200 or more. F that. Last year there was talk at the Summit Point Supermoto trackdays of doing a day at Shenandoah at a substantially reduced rate. If so, I'd definitely be interested, but in the meantime that $200 gets me 4 supermoto trackdays *or* will pay for a weekend trip riding with the junkies in Western North Carolina.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Shennandoah is a great track for a 450 or bigger, ok for a drz400 maybe. I would like to take the SMC out there this year again at least once but yeah, it's getting a little ridiculous on cost. I'll do a Roger Lyle day, but I'm simply not willing to pay for TPM and these other orgs that are working out to be substantially more than $200 for one TD since I'm not a track whore.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I did Shenandoah yesterday with Roger Lyle on my 250 smoker. It was effin' awesome! I could have done without the back straight, I was out of gear about 3/4 of the way down but the rest of the track is perfect for our bikes and FUN. The concrete walls are a little sketchy in spots, though.

This was my first time ever on a track that wasn't intended for karts. I'll definitely be doing more this season as money allows. At $200 it is pricey.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I did Shenandoah yesterday with Roger Lyle on my 250 smoker. It was effin' awesome! I could have done without the back straight, I was out of gear about 3/4 of the way down but the rest of the track is perfect for our bikes and FUN. The concrete walls are a little sketchy in spots, though.

This was my first time ever on a track that wasn't intended for karts. I'll definitely be doing more this season as money allows. At $200 it is pricey.
:thumbup: Good to hear it...but cost is an issue for me too....gotta stick with the cheapo trackdays:lol:

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Todd, definitely let me know when you want to ride out there again since I want to do at least one RL day on Shenandoah this year.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Todd, definitely let me know when you want to ride out there again since I want to do at least one RL day on Shenandoah this year.
Absolutely! That would be great. Can't remember the last time we've ridden together...last season at Summit supermoto I think.

And come on Craigs! Poney up the $200, gotta do it at least once. It is a blast.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Absolutely! That would be great. Can't remember the last time we've ridden together...last season at Summit supermoto I think.

And come on Craigs! Poney up the $200, gotta do it at least once. It is a blast.
......The tallest gearing I have for the Husq is 15/42.........Like racing up and down route 95:lol:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
... i agree that 200+ is pricey. i sent an email to the folks at Team Promotion about offering an "introductory" price for us sumo guys (where maybe they can waive the $50 membership fee), but apparently fell on deaf ears.

having said that, i'm still game if we can agree on a date.

hows the aug 28 date sound?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Shoot, TPM is one of the most expensive around unless you shell out $2000 or whatever for their high-end membership.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
got a reply from Barb at TPM:

You and your riders can have your own group of 25 riders. The cost would be $175 total for you and your riders. We can hold the 25 spots until 14 days prior to the event then we open them for sale.
You would send me all the info (name, address, phone number, email address, date of birth, track experience).
If this works for you can send 5 or 10 guys at a time to secure spots.
so basically - we can ride in our own group, and for $175 each. who's in???:headscrat

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Make sure that $175 isn't missing a "membership". Most of these orgs require some sort of membership fee on top of the TD price. Roger Lyle is only $25/year, making it the cheapest in terms of membership cost.

·
Registered
137 Posts
TPM often works out deals for non members to allow them to ride w/o paying for a membership. This doesn't surprise me in the least, I've seen them do it for racers, large groups and late in the year when it would be stupid to require a membership purchase. I'm already a member or I'd happily join in on this deal, if I hear of anybody else who might want in I'll send them this way. I will be at Shenny for their Aug 28 date as well as this Sunday July 10th. Hope to see a bunch of other Sumo guys out there, its absolutely the most fun ever.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts