SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 690 SMR 08, but i want something i can be a little wreckless on ( low-side, beat up the clutch, jump off road, etc.. ) and not fear wrecking a 10$k machine.

Engine size doesn't matter too much, since its really going to just be a private property goof around machine, but im 228lbs and 6foot, so something with a little grunt but is also cheap to maintain / fix

also - must be CA plate-able

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
find someones old plated enduro bike, and throw some wheels on it.... a old dirtbike is what you're looking for.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
find someones old plated enduro bike, and throw some wheels on it.... a old dirtbike is what you're looking for.
yeppers this is more or less it. Im just curious on models and part availability - i came into possession of a 1983 CR80 a few years back and i couldn't get some integral parts ( see: brakes. To "stop moving forward" you would have to grab the clutch, throttle up some revs, drop the clutch and slide into a tight donut :rofl: was hairy as fuck ) so I was hoping for some specific regarding models that are older but still have high part availability.

Thanks !

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
yeppers this is more or less it. Im just curious on models and part availability - i came into possession of a 1983 CR80 a few years back and i couldn't get some integral parts ( see: brakes. To "stop moving forward" you would have to grab the clutch, throttle up some revs, drop the clutch and slide into a tight donut :rofl: was hairy as fuck ) so I was hoping for some specific regarding models that are older but still have high part availability.

Thanks !
well, the motocrossers lose value the quickest since racers(and wannabes) tend to discard them in favor of the newist machines.

your largest problem is going to be finding one street legal...
really any popular late 90 or early 00 jap motocrosser should still have parts availible.
the WRs still have everything availible and might be easier to find one plated in cali... id start looking at them first... but only because you're almost never going to find a 2stroke motorcrosser plated in cali....

·
Registered
231 Posts
XR600? Big enough for you, enough get up and go, street legal, and pretty much bulltproof. You can get em dirt cheap if you look around, especially the late 80s early 90s models.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
haha if you find one on this side of the country let me know! (still looking:()

·
Registered
575 Posts
I'll trade you my DR650 for your KTM. Feel free to wreck the hell out of it.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have a wr400 and it kicks ass off-road. You should be able to pick one up for under $2500 with a plate on it.

BTW nothing is ca plate-able, either it has a plate already or it doesn't get one.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a wr400 and it kicks ass off-road. You should be able to pick one up for under $2500 with a plate on it.

BTW nothing is ca plate-able, either it has a plate already or it doesn't get one.
re: plating - yeah i know, back in 04 or 05 they nerfed that. Price range is 0 ->2$k and zip code is 93105

most dual sports here, even 10years old, people are asking like 2.5+ - insane.

·
Registered
31 Posts
yeah prices in CA are insane for any offroad bike with a plate. For under 2k I think you're looking at an XR400.

An XR600 would also work and leave some money left for wheels.

·
Registered
504 Posts
if its just a toy spend the extra few hundred on a wr400, it will destroy an xr400 and probably a 600, and it will be reliable if you keep up on valve checks etc.

or keep a look out for good deals, i picked up a ktm300exc with a plate on it for $500 that needs a motor rebuild, bottom and top end. but who the fuck cares, its a 2 stroke 300 with a plate on it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts