SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So today, i was practicing endos and hit what i thought was balance point, am i right? My distance greatly increased, from about 40ft to much much farther. Also i found it was much harder to keep my bike straight. Is this a result of much practice or just luck? Also flipping the bike seemed much easier, and i realized i was applying much less brake pressure then normal, once i got there.
I think this means im getting better?

Another question i have, is there such thing as carb choke when you get up on a wheelie? Or hold a long wheelie,,,,,i planning on holding my wheelies and was wondering if my carb would choke up and my bike would stall mid air....Is this possible?
Thanks

·
Registered
132 Posts
As with everything, yes, there is an endo balance point. The problem with endos is that, unlike a wheelie balance point, the is no safety in case you go past it. So, it is very hard, if not impossible, to hold endo bp. And true bp would require no brake pressure.

I don't think you will run any starvation issues with the carb, as bikes are built to be operated in all sorts of odd positions. As long as the level of the fuel in the tank stays above the height of the carb you will maintain flow to the carb. The only potential issue I see is how the float in the carb acts with the bike up like that.

I guess you won't really know 'till you try.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Like Hathaway said, yes there is one, no you probably don't want to find it because the very next thing to happen will probably be you going over the bars.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Balance point is right before you eat it. A few times I had to completely let off the front brake and it still was rolling, I almost ate pavement the first time it happened, you can't save those, probably not a good idea to venture there on purpose, I do it by accident every once in a while. The worst one I though I was gone, I actually took my foot off the pegs and threw my legs forward under the bars and the seat hit my back, then the bike leveled out, by some miracle I didn't smash my face that day.

·
Registered
75 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm not trying to sound like an expert but sometime ago i remember watching a MX rider saying that when they are in the air and the rear comes up higher than the front(imagine an endo mid air) they do a "panic rev" where they rev the engine to bring the back down again?

Or maybe that method cant be done in time when doing an endo on the road...

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
it cant be done unless both wheels are off the ground. when your nose high off a jump you hit the brakes it stops the back tire and the momentum pushes the bike to level out, if you jump and start to endo grabbin a fist full of throttle will get the back tire spinning fast and that momentum will help to bring the front back up and level you out. that theory only works completely in the air.

·
Registered
77 Posts
it cant be done unless both wheels are off the ground. when your nose high off a jump you hit the brakes it stops the back tire and the momentum pushes the bike to level out, if you jump and start to endo grabbin a fist full of throttle will get the back tire spinning fast and that momentum will help to bring the front back up and level you out. that theory only works completely in the air.

ahh..thanks for explaining man!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi I'm new here, I was gonna say "yeah I experienced that carb choke" but that only happened once--I read Hathaway's response and that was probably the case, tank musta been almost-empty at that time. I'm not sure if it had anything to do with it but that was a wheelie jumping down the sidewalk (trolling the heavy Philippine traffic on the bridge :D).

Technically balance point is present in a stoppie, but there's no saving it if you go the 'other' side. :D I tried that once and it wasn't fun. I threw my body and extended my arms forward, but by some sort of miracle the rear came back down. But I looked like a retard for sure falling to my right side. Ha ha.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts