SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been in the stunt scene for a long time.
i am in the process of buying my first motard.
ive riddin dirtbikes my whole life and just recently sold my dr450
but i really want a motard.
im buying a drz400sm.
my questions are mostly stunt related.
i was wondering what you guys do to protect the motor and levers?
i know there is not much use for an engine cage so didnt know if you used something more like long frame sliders or something of that nature.
also im looking to see if anyone has used a hand brake setup, and what they preffer.
i pretty much treat my stunt bike like a motard.
dirtbike bars and all
i actually take it to the clay pits and have climed a few hills that guys on dirtbikes are affraid of.
i should post a few pics.
thanks for any help you can give.
im looking forward to the new life of the tards.
biscuit

·
Registered
978 Posts

There are a few quick pics of my motard stunt bike. I love it. As of the weekend it has a new fender with a hole and a footbar that runs up to the subframe. As for the handbrake I run an F4i rear master cylinder with a gptech fitting, goodridge stainless line up to a shindy master cylinder. The thing is super strong and modulates great. 1 finger lockup alll day. For a Drz-sm fullthrottle inc has a new handbrake kit specifically for motards that should work great. I thought about trying it but wondered if I would end up grabbing it accidently, lol

·
Registered
978 Posts
As far as sliders just get axle and barend sliders and you'll be good. Mine aren't on the bike here and it was being dismantled but skateboard wheels work great.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for all your help guys.
i will be stunting a tard soon.
i think the same day i get it im going to put a 12 bar on it.
more for a place to put my foot than anything, ive found that the back pegs are close to the front ones so i figure id like one back more, and the seat is really skinny so i dont think my feet can really fit side by side like on my stunt bike now.
have you guys tried riding wheelies up stairs or stoppies down them?
also i want to find little jumps to wheelies.
biscuit

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
also do you guys recomend sproket change?
from the few tards ive riden the torque seems to be plenty and really smooth.
biscuit

·
Registered
201 Posts
im guessing you have seen Motard X Dream?

up and down stairs, no, i live on a island so ive got really no spots to try cool stuff like that, ill get to the mainland one day

gearing, if you want circles go for it, if not keep the gearing high for the fast stuff, ive geared mine to try get slow stuff down but ive lost being able to do fast stuff all day cuz the motor is screaming with low gearing, 15/52 is what ive got now, dont know weather to put the stock back on, really slow stuff is fun but fast stuff is more fun

keep the bike as stock as possible, i get people all the time coming up to me when ive stoped "cool, what is it?" ......."show us what ya got"

cuz of the sub/12 bar people think ya want to mono past people on the streets all the time, plus im a show off and find it hard not to, so i dont need people egging me on

·
Registered
978 Posts
I was going to run a 12 bar but ended up settling on cutting my new rear fender and adding some struts back to a footbar.

I have wheelied up really small stairs but never stoppied down. My stoppies still aren't that good. I can go like 100ft MAX.

As for gearing just try out what you have and see how it works out. You can always change it later.

The seats on there are super thing. I wear a 12.5 shoe and I can get mine side by side for seat stander scrapes and stuff but it's tough

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
powers stunt worx 12 bar is what you need. It maintains a clean look yet is highly functional. This isn't my bike these are just pictures I've found to show what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah i am a bit of a show off myself.
we have a show this weekend actually.
and the reason i am getting a tard is i use my bike like one and i would love to have something even lighter with more suspention travel.
i love em.
once i get one ill post some pics of stock gearing circles, what do you think?
ive done some sit down foot draging circles on my friends.
his is a stock drz400sm.
draging foot is cheating and i had to slip the clutch alot but i didnt want to drop someone elses bike.
biscuit

im guessing you have seen Motard X Dream?

up and down stairs, no, i live on a island so ive got really no spots to try cool stuff like that, ill get to the mainland one day

gearing, if you want circles go for it, if not keep the gearing high for the fast stuff, ive geared mine to try get slow stuff down but ive lost being able to do fast stuff all day cuz the motor is screaming with low gearing, 15/52 is what ive got now, dont know weather to put the stock back on, really slow stuff is fun but fast stuff is more fun

keep the bike as stock as possible, i get people all the time coming up to me when ive stoped "cool, what is it?" ......."show us what ya got"

cuz of the sub/12 bar people think ya want to mono past people on the streets all the time, plus im a show off and find it hard not to, so i dont need people egging me on

·
Registered
978 Posts
I rode my old f4i stuntbike the same way. Tossed it all over the place, jumped it a few times (stopped after 2 rear rims).

You will love the motard for everything and the other stuntbike will become very stagnant.

Post up some pics on your boys bike even. I always appreciate some good stunt pics to get us through the winter

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you can check out some pics on our stunt site.
schoolofruckus.com
he doesnt stunt his tard, he wants to learn though.
but yeah check out the pics and ill have more up soon, we have a show this sunday so ill have some more pics up early next week.
oh and its at a big car show so ill have pics of all that too.
biscuit

oh and im updateing the site so please dont pic on me about lack of content.

I rode my old f4i stuntbike the same way. Tossed it all over the place, jumped it a few times (stopped after 2 rear rims).

You will love the motard for everything and the other stuntbike will become very stagnant.

Post up some pics on your boys bike even. I always appreciate some good stunt pics to get us through the winter

·
Registered
290 Posts
I got my handbrake on from full throttle inc. and let me tell you.. ITS CRAZY! soo strong and makes the cable lever feel like a hydraulic i love it! locks rear tire with 1 finger. other than that you will have to fab everything up

·
Registered
442 Posts
Cool site man! School of fruckus!:thumbup:
Heys guys I'm not a stunter on the same stage you guys are, but i like to mess around and I always want to get better. I dont have much of problem riding out wheelies but I'm having a hell of time reminding myself to tap that rear brake when I'm too far back. I cant make it second nature! In fact it even feels kinda awkward leaning back and pushing w/ your feet. How can i help save my hide and make it more of a habit and natural reaction??

Thanks Alot!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
for starters the biggest pointer that i can give anyone as far as stunts go.
keep one finger on your clutch at all times if possible.
it helps you let it out faster than two fingers.
also the reason it always there, if anything goes wrong, in most situations, you can pull in the clutch and hold on and it will help you regain controll.
i.e. if you dont pull in the clutch and the bike comes down hard. typically you hold on for dear life. typically if the bike comes down so do your hands, therefore you are back on the throttle really hard.
front wheel is back up.
it starts really getting scarry.
remember most bikes have a rev limiter. its there for a reason, dont be scared of it.
if you keep that clutch in for a while and regain stearing you mind will start to process whats going on and you can let off the gas.

okay sorry, this is all going to take a bit, but i want to make sure it all makes sence.

if you can get your hands on a small quad (like a 250 or something)
4 stroke if possible. trust me alot of the bigger 450 and up are abit touchy and you will really hate trying to learn on them.
you want to be able to ride pretty slow and the power they have is jerky a slow speeds.

anyway all the directions from here on out will be for a quad or bike (if you cant find a quad) except on a bike when you ride slow wheelies on a bike. it wants to fall side to side as well.

anyway ride around in a parking lot or any safe place, ride around in first gear, find a cumpfy but pretty slow speed and keep your throttle in one spot.

now press the back break just a little and then more.
control your speed with your break alone.
this will get you cumpfy and familliar with the break.
go ahead and push it down all the way and stop the back wheel a few times, (that way you know that if something goes wierd that you will know that you can stop it.)

basically slow wheelies and balance point wheelies are not really controlled by throttle, you rev it up a bit, dump the clutch, find out where the throttle needs to be, then hold it there. adjusting the break to controll how far back you go.
now if the front starts to come down to much you can bump the throttle to get it back to balance and your back to locked throttle and break controll.

so after you try with both wheels on the ground and are cumpfy with it, go ahead and ride a few wheelies, press the break a bit and you can feel it pull the bike down.
once you get ready and feel confedent, go ahead and bring the bike back more and more, constantly rideing the brake.

NOTE: if you start getting really slow you may want to jump up to a synthetic brake fluid. (higher boiling point) once your fluid boils you will have no pressure and it will feel like you have nothing but air in your line.
TRUST ME, IVE BEEN THERE
just spend a few bucks and flush your lines out with some synthetic, i use valvoline.

just play around and you will get them and start rocking slow wheelies in parking lots next to girls walking to the store.
hell you might get a number or two.

lemme know if i can help with any other stunt questions.
(ive been doing it for a long time.)

biscuit

Cool site man! School of fruckus!:thumbup:
Heys guys I'm not a stunter on the same stage you guys are, but i like to mess around and I always want to get better. I dont have much of problem riding out wheelies but I'm having a hell of time reminding myself to tap that rear brake when I'm too far back. I cant make it second nature! In fact it even feels kinda awkward leaning back and pushing w/ your feet. How can i help save my hide and make it more of a habit and natural reaction??

Thanks Alot!!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Thanks for the info Biscuit! Unfortunetly I dont have a quad to mess with but i do have a '05 kx 65 to play around with, I think I'll explore more w/ that next oppurtunity i get to ride it. I think I can use some of what you told me and relate it to that. Any other suggestions or helpful hints from anyone would be appreciated. Thanks again man. I'll try to get better and if it i can get some girls attention w/ my riding so be it! I'd love some strange!! Ha-Ha! As long as the wifey dont drive by!

·
Registered
442 Posts
I reckon I'm looking to get more familiar w/ the balance point as a power wheelie runs out of gear and becomes more of a BP wheelie. Sometimes that shift into a higher gear carries with it a surge in power that is hard to predict and monitor. If that makes any sense? I reckon that is is also when control changes hands as more is placed on the r/brake and less on the throttle to keep the wheel up and steady. Regardless I'll take your advice and mess around only in 1st and practice what you told me until that back brake is natural same goes for one finger clutch modulation! Thanks again.

·
Registered
978 Posts
One of the ways I learned rear brake was using it when I didn't need to. I would do power wheelies that were lower than balance point and just start hitting the rear brake unnecessarily. It makes it so you can be at the backward angle and get used to moving that leg. I can do bp wheelies all day at idle with no rear brake but it takes time. To do the really controlled slow stuff you HAVE to get that modulation down. My favorite wheelie variations are coasters and it is the same deal. You take second or third gear wheelies then suck it up and hit it way past balance point, pull in the clutch, and modulate the brake so you keep rolling with no power. It's super fun.

But like I said, if you are still chasing wheelies with speed.... fine. Just use that time to start hitting that brake and feel how much it takes to lower the wheelie, etc. When you get better the engine will do less up and down and you will notice you can slow the wheelie down. I LOVE to pull them up at 30-40 then slow them down to like 10 for fun

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
yeah! great wright up biscuit! I have a Honda 300EX, wich basically is the best quad to learn to wheelie on, i've been practicing standing on the rear grab bar and doing some slow 1st and 2nd gear wheelies, they are fun!!! I recently picked up my 520 EXC, and that thing has too much power!:thumbup: that i've gotten lazy and i only do power wheelies now. 1st through 5th gear power wheelies baby!!! (even got a 6th gear wheelie coming over the crest of a hill at about 85mph)

but i'm having a hard time with slow wheelies on the 520, 1st and 2nd gear just run through the gear way too quick, then i rech the rev limit and don't have enough torque to keep it up still. so i don't really know how to get the slower wheelies up yet, and i can't really find the balance point without looping it??? so help!???

oh and here's a pic of me wheeling the 300.:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 92 Posts