SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok ive got $1500 to spend at the moment and just want a bike to practice stunting on. I was gona look into a CR250/500 but ive read that 2 stroke are the wrong bikes to stunt on because the power is to snappy and abrupt?

So lately ive been thinking about a CRF250/450, something old and beat up. I have a guy that owns me so he said he could fabricate up a 12 oclock bar and some stunt pegs for me. (really good talented guy, should be good quality)

So basically i thought it would be cool to get a 250/450R strip anything off i dont need, do a pod filter, get rida the subframe (if any) do a 12 oclock bar, some stunt pegs, and beat the hell outa it.

I was only thinking 2 stroke because of my $1500 budget, and i know i would spend $2500+ for a older 250/450. Im sure i could work up $2500 in a month or so though.

What do you guys think? My plan is to strip the bike kinda like ryan moore has done to his CRF450, except without the flash, and good looks:lol:

I found a few CRF250/450's for around $2500-$3200, but also found a CRF150R for $2300:hmmm:
Thoughts on the bikes i have mention'd?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
get an older WR400 or 426, you should be able to find one in your price range, my 2 cents.
:hmmm:good idea, they made the WR400/426 for quite a while back. Ill definatly take a look and see what i can find.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sorry, I just can't get over that...I'm pretty easily amused.
Ya know what i wont even edit it...that way many more can enjoy...

Ive ridden a CRF250R but it was almost 2 years ago and dont remember it much, how is the power diffornce from a 250 MX'er to a 450?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Just to keep you drooling...

another guy on here built a stunt bike. I forget what he used but I know its black and green and it came out pretty good. How about an older xr650? Like mid 1990's? Throw a big ole sprocket on the back and it should have enough umpff to get the front right up plus they are pretty cheap.

As far as a crf250 or 450, I'd go with the 450. Just because if you put a bigger sprocket on the bike you're going to drastically reduce the top end. A 450 (as seen in ryan moore's videos) will still get you fast enough for fun with a big sprocket. If you're serious about learning endos and want to get good you have to get going pretty dang fast to go very far. Sportbike stunters often do it at about 80mph, but then again they roll 500 feet. What ever you get make sure there are ample CHEAP parts for. A husaberg is a great bike, but I wouldn't stunt it just because when stuff gets broken there isn't as big of market of used parts and dealers for them around.

More of my $0.02:
A 2 stroke will work fine if you just want to wheelie and do endos. 2 stroke power hits fast and strong which is great for wheelies. They are also light weight so they are great for endos. But the problem comes if you are doing more difficult tricks which need careful and smooth throtle response. 2 strokes can be smooth if you are a really good rider with plenty of experience on them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts