SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been in the market for a supermoto recently and have been pretty obsessed with them.......but recently I have kinda fallen off this "liking". I am now interest in getting a street bike now, though am still on the balancing beam between both. Can someone just please give me some pros and cons on the two, to see everyone else's opinions!

I really would appreciate a lot of feedback! :bowdown:

Was looking at the DRZ400sm and KTM 690sm :clap:

Now looking at an R1 probably an 07-08 :arsenal

I can get either one for around the same exact price!

·
Registered
516 Posts
What do you want to do with it? I see you live in Florida, which is flat as fuck. Probably not the best environment for a supermoto.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly my point, That is why my mind has been changing by the day more and more. The actual "off road" locations that still exist (very few) are so damn far, its ridiculous.

I mean, how much more of a "fun factor" is a supermoto to actually get one??

·
Registered
516 Posts
They are really fun if you have twisty roads/tracks to ride at. For highway use, they are not fun at all.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So Iv'e heard. Is it really that bad though, Iv'e ridden the Klr250 and on the highway it was just terrible (I felt like a leaf in a wind tunnel) , but what about a Drz400? or something bigger?

·
Registered
277 Posts
i'm coming from a 600rr to a sm510r and i will never go back to a street bike...below is just my opinion mixed in with some general facts...

street bike: heavy, fast, uncomfortable, harder to steer, better on the highway, no offroading, not as much fun around town and on twisties, less usable top end

sumo bike: lighter, slower, more comfortable, easier to steer, sucks on the highway, can offroad, fun around town and on twisties, more usable top end

it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow

·
Registered
287 Posts
R1 Good at one thing and and thing only. Going stupid fast in a straight line.

SM. Fun at all speeds. Every sidewalk, industrial zone, construction site, kids park, etc becomes your playground.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
i'm coming from a 600rr to a sm510r and i will never go back to a street bike...below is just my opinion mixed in with some general facts...

street bike: heavy, fast, uncomfortable, harder to steer, better on the highway, no offroading, not as much fun around town and on twisties, less usable top end

sumo bike: lighter, slower, more comfortable, easier to steer, sucks on the highway, can offroad, fun around town and on twisties, more usable top end

it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow
Very true, I know this first hand when riding my friends r6 in comparison to the klr250, it was fun around my neighborhood, only thing though it didn't ever pop up even with popping the clutch :headshake

Like Pepe and I stated, Florida is flat as hell and very little of the twisty "fun stuff" so would it be a waste of a bike?

I know what supermoto I would get and I know what streetbike I would get, now its just choosing..........

·
Registered
278 Posts
I will say I was in the exact same boat. Wanted a DR-Z400SM in the worst way... then started looking at street bikes, primarily XB12SCG and an SV650... I finally decided on the Doctor, and couldn't be more happy. Just my $.02

·
Registered
28 Posts
Been in the market for a supermoto recently and have been pretty obsessed with them.......but recently I have kinda fallen off this "liking". I am now interest in getting a street bike now, though am still on the balancing beam between both. Can someone just please give me some pros and cons on the two, to see everyone else's opinions!

I really would appreciate a lot of feedback! :bowdown:

Was looking at the DRZ400sm and KTM 690sm :clap:

Now looking at an R1 probably an 07-08 :arsenal

I can get either one for around the same exact price!
I came from a cbr1000 to a crf450 sumo.... one thing to say, I have absolutely no desire to switch back to a street bike, unless I will be going on a highway ride somewhere. I'm in Phoenix and the city streets are an absolute playground for me. I'm not really sure how the streets are in Florida, probably mostly "highway" type streets? In that case... you can wheelie for days on a supermoto :)

But really, if you plan on doing any type of straight line riding over 60, get a street bike. Or a hypermotard :lol:, because doing that on a supermoto isn't the funnest thing ever...

·
Registered
81 Posts
A bigger SM, like the KTM, makes the highway more doable. You need to get a really nice helmet and wear ear plugs, and then the wind is manageable for 3 or 4 hours at a time. If I'm riding with friends, and we're stopping to B.S. every once in a while, I can ride all day on the highway.

If you ride in town much, the SM will be 10x more fun, because you can pull the wheel up, ride for a bit, shift once and set it down, and you'll still be doing 40mph. On a litre bike you'll be doing 90 if you only run it to the end of 1st. That isn't a nice speed for urban areas.

The other thing to think about, is that if you're doing much touring, a sport bike isn't really that comfortable either. It will run higher speed easier, and you can tuck out of the wind, but the folded up riding position isn't even as comfortable as the upright, wind-blown SM seat. It's possible if you're wanting to do long trips maybe you'd even have more fun on a adventure bike.

I would say buy a little bit older bike that you can get a good deal on. Whether it's a SM, sportbike, Dual sport... what ever catches your eye and gets you excited to ride. That way if you decide you want something else, you won't lose much on it when you sell it. I started on a 25 year old KLR, and when I decided I'd rather have something lighter I sold it for the same price I bought it for. I don't regret it for a second, because it showed me what I really want in a bike.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
R1 Good at one thing and and thing only. Going stupid fast in a straight line.

SM. Fun at all speeds. Every sidewalk, industrial zone, construction site, kids park, etc becomes your playground.
"stupid fast" is a understatment with those things haha :laughingr Friend just got a 2013 gsxr1000, says it has more power starting in 6th then his 600 had in 2nd :burnout:

I can already imagine the Sm to be fun anywhere I go, I just don't want to be riding on the bhgihway for a couple miles and then hate it......Although I've read that people go on and do hundreds of miles on those Sm's at time??

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will say I was in the exact same boat. Wanted a DR-Z400SM in the worst way... then started looking at street bikes, primarily XB12SCG and an SV650... I finally decided on the Doctor, and couldn't be more happy. Just my $.02
Sorry for my ignorance, but what is the "Doctor" :headscrat

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I came from a cbr1000 to a crf450 sumo.... one thing to say, I have absolutely no desire to switch back to a street bike, unless I will be going on a highway ride somewhere. I'm in Phoenix and the city streets are an absolute playground for me. I'm not really sure how the streets are in Florida, probably mostly "highway" type streets? In that case... you can wheelie for days on a supermoto :)

But really, if you plan on doing any type of straight line riding over 60, get a street bike. Or a hypermotard :lol:, because doing that on a supermoto isn't the funnest thing ever...
You'r right that's what it primaryly is. Your setup is exactly what I want!........in Florida though, the laws are crap and you can't get anywhere near legalizing a 450, or else I would be posting a picture thread of my crf450 :damn: so that's why I'm looking at the KTm690 or drz400. I imagine you changed your sprockets for the crf??

·
Registered
277 Posts
a drz400sm (stock street legal), wr426/450 (converted), or a wr250x (stock street legal) are the most reliable and low maintenance choices it seems around here...since you have more straight roads and i'm assuming will probably be hitting the highway a bigger ktm would be a good choice...if you don't see yourself offroading or screwing around on sidewalks etc. you may want to look at something inbetween a sumo and a street bike like a ktm duke 690...the ktm duke 390 is on it's way to the states as well and looks better than the 690 in my opinion...unless you're a racer or do a ton of highway miles i don't see a point in owning a 1000 sportbike...you never use all the power and it can get you into trouble more easily...a 600 sport bike is more than sufficient for the use of most people...the top end is close to a 1000 but it just takes you a little longer to get there...not to mention you barely need to shift with a 1000, where's the fun in that

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A bigger SM, like the KTM, makes the highway more doable. You need to get a really nice helmet and wear ear plugs, and then the wind is manageable for 3 or 4 hours at a time. If I'm riding with friends, and we're stopping to B.S. every once in a while, I can ride all day on the highway.

If you ride in town much, the SM will be 10x more fun, because you can pull the wheel up, ride for a bit, shift once and set it down, and you'll still be doing 40mph. On a litre bike you'll be doing 90 if you only run it to the end of 1st. That isn't a nice speed for urban areas.

The other thing to think about, is that if you're doing much touring, a sport bike isn't really that comfortable either. It will run higher speed easier, and you can tuck out of the wind, but the folded up riding position isn't even as comfortable as the upright, wind-blown SM seat. It's possible if you're wanting to do long trips maybe you'd even have more fun on a adventure bike.

I would say buy a little bit older bike that you can get a good deal on. Whether it's a SM, sportbike, Dual sport... what ever catches your eye and gets you excited to ride. That way if you decide you want something else, you won't lose much on it when you sell it. I started on a 25 year old KLR, and when I decided I'd rather have something lighter I sold it for the same price I bought it for. I don't regret it for a second, because it showed me what I really want in a bike.
Yeah the riding position for the streetbike is a little tough to handle at times and that's another thing that is putting me in between....... Well a question about any Sm in general, do they reach and stay at 40 mph without being at high revs?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I enjoy wheelies...a lot. Drop a sport bike and your looking at thousands to fix. Drop a motard and you pick it up and keep riding.

Good luck!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Haha should have known!......You didn't have any other options you looked at besides the Drz, or you were just bent on getting it?
That was someone else, I've never had a DRZ.

When I lived in Miami, I used to ride a Versys. All my trips (school, work, gym, anywhere) involved 90% highway, with the rest being high traffic, large roads. I don't think I would've enjoyed a supermoto much in that environment, with the closest turn being about 12 hours away. Back then there was no sumo racing going on either, so as much as I wanted one , I abstained from it. Now I've moved somewhere else and I have a Husky 450 and I love it.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts