SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started to pull the bike out to ride to work this morning and unlocked the steering tube lock. Key twisted and the cylinder popped out like normal, but the fork is still locked. I turned the bars and locked/unlocked the cylinder a few times in several different combinations, but no dice. The internal pin just doesn't want to release. Any suggestions?

If only the fork was stuck to the right, then I'd at least be able to flat track it...

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Mine doesn't have one, but I figure it's spring loaded. Try to hit it with some PB blaster and lightly tap on the underside of the pin.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine doesn't have one, but I figure it's spring loaded. Try to hit it with some PB blaster and lightly tap on the underside of the pin.
I'll try some PB around the cylinder core and a tap to the head tube. The challenge is that the lock is located at the center of the vertical height of the head tube, and sticks out perpendicularly from it. My concern is that the pin that engages the steer tube from the backside of the lock core is stuck. There appears to be a brass clip or spring loaded key stock that moves in and out along with the core, but I'm guess this is only removable from the inside.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Any chance you can remove the handlebars and look down the tube and see if there is any way to unstick it? I have a '08 SM610 and I know there is a hole there.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fixed, sorta.

Pulled the rivet and dust cover off of the lock cylinder housing. The lock core then pulls straight out with the key, like Yakima or Thule roof racks. There is steel plug attached to the end of the lock core surrounded by a compression spring. The plug has a reduced diameter that fits into the lock core, and wouldn't you know, mine broke leaving the plug engaged between the head tube and steer tube. This explains the lock moving in and out per normal operation, but the locked forks. Took a punch and tapped the broken plug into the steer tube, and removed the fender to retrieve the trash.

So now I have free moving forks, but no lock. Go ahead and steal it, maybe I'll get a 510!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts