SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to a friends an hour away. Bike ran great. an hour our so later they wanted to see it. Started right up no problem. Fast forward 2 hours. I go to leave and battery is dead dead. Try to jump and voltage pulls down to 8-9v when key is turned on. Got the bike sta rted, it ran okay. Little misses here and there. I tried riding home, bike kept missing while riding. Finally stalled, totally dead battery and here I sit. What should I be looking for?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked over the obvious. Didn't see anything wrong. I shouldn't say dead dead as it would click and buzz but not crank. The low gas light kept coming on even though it was full. Bike would slowly loose electrical until it would just stall. If I jumped it and pulled cables off right away it just shut off. I'm guessing its just not charging and runs on the battery once running. Should I be checking the stator? I heard something on left side of motor at about 5k rpm I thought exhaust springs were vibrating

·
Registered
771 Posts
I had oodles of electrical probs w my bike, all was solved by thoroughly cleaning the battery connections and spraying them with that red spray for battery corrosion prevention.

my bike would stall while cruising, engine light would flash randomly, wouldn't start.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I looked over the obvious. Didn't see anything wrong. I shouldn't say dead dead as it would click and buzz but not crank. The low gas light kept coming on even though it was full. Bike would slowly loose electrical until it would just stall. If I jumped it and pulled cables off right away it just shut off. I'm guessing its just not charging and runs on the battery once running. Should I be checking the stator? I heard something on left side of motor at about 5k rpm I thought exhaust springs were vibrating
I dont know what your problem is, but just to clear things up, its normal to die when you disconnect the battery while running. Hook up a voltmeter when its running to check for charging voltage.

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess that would help. Its an 09 smr 510. the bike doesn't make enough power on its own to stay running at idle if say the battery were disconnected? I will have to pull all connections off and clean them. I wish I had some tools with me yesterday. A voltmeter would have made wonders. Is the charging system similar to a car? Something like 14v while running?
Things leading up to this which may or may not affect what happened. Last time out on it I got stuck in a very light rain. Wasnt riding but the bike got a little wet. It was running a bit hot going to the party, ran on the highway some and got stuck in traffic a little on a near 90deg day. After the last time running and before it wouldn't start I took the seat off because the one kid wanted to see under it.

Thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
815 Posts
Now it sounds more like a bad cell on the battery..or possibly a flaky switch that would shut power, like kickstand switch, run switch on bars. All problems I've had with other bikes, and twas me I would start by trying another battery. At least those are the simple things I would start with....good luck.

·
Registered
444 Posts
How many miles? My dealer told me to pull the left side engine cover by 2000 miles and re-install the stator bolts with the most serious lock-tite I can buy. He said sometimes they aren't torqued all the way, or can start to back out and cause some problems.

Having said that, before you freak out, get your battery checked out. Always start with the cheapest/easiest solution first and work your way from there.:thumbup:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I haven't gotten a chance to work on it I'm totally f'ed this week with work. Bike has 1400 miles on it. I'll check out everything everyone said when I get some time

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just a couple weeks ago i got the bike back going again. i went through all electrical things measuring resistance and all that and everything looked good so i ordered a motocross battery by yuasa. i stuck the old battery on the charger and with it making 12.5 sitting there i stuck a light bulb on it and it dropped to 4 volts. ding ding ding. battery was trashed and bike runs good now.

thanks guys

1 - 11 of 11 Posts