SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed I have a very slow leak from my oil drain plug. When I was changing the oil for the first time the other night I was reefing on it the wrong way (well, as much as you can with an allen wrench).

I'm at work so I haven't had time to play with it but I'm hoping the bolt is just a tad loose and the remedy is tightening the bolt a little.

If I did over-torque the bolt trying to remove it is the only fix to re-tap the drain hole and get a new drain plug? This doesn't sound fun has anyone experienced this?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Maybe you should try replacing the O ring on your drain plug first. You might have damaged it, or perhaps it's missing.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Did you check if it's the bolt's thread, or the thread in the engine that's stripped?

It's more likely to be the engine's thread that's stripped. If this is the case, you can get a bolt with slightly larger thread, and a corresponding tap to tap a thread in the engine. The better choice would be a heli-coil. These are steel inserts that look like little springs. The stripped thread is tapped slightly larger, then the heli-coil is inserted, and the inside of the helicoil becomes the thread that's the same size as the old one. Once the heli-coil is in there, it won't come out, and I doubt you'll ever strip the thread, as it will probably be the bolt's thread if you do. My dad has repaired threads in everything from head bolts to spark plug holes with heli-coils they are so simple yet so ingenious.

Search heli-coil in Google if you've never seen them. You can probably get a kit to do the thread yourself at a hardware store.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Skee, mine did the same thing after the second oil change. I actually tightened up after the intial ride and it quit leaking altogether.

Mike

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Skee, mine did the same thing after the second oil change. I actually tightened up after the intial ride and it quit leaking altogether.

Mike
Good to hear!
I'm bout to head home so hopefully this will be the solution.

Thanks for the advice about the O-ring and heli-coil as well!

·
Registered
725 Posts
oil drain bolt

I'd get a keen-sert instead of the helicoil. a much more quality piece. it is a threaded sleeve, much more secure. ask any machinist.....:arsenal:bike:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tightening didn't help. Leaks maybe 1 oz after I let it sit after a ride. Ordered up some crush washers so hopefully this will work.

The 08's have a oil sight correct? Hopefully the cover is the same and I can pick one up once 08 parts are available.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I got my crush washers in the mail. I went to drain the oil to see about replacing the washer and this is the sight. It sure as hell looks like a stuck crush washer to me! I wasn't able to remove the washer though it's stuck pretty good. I tried wedging a razor blade in there to try to get it out to no avail. Any other tips?

·
Banned
900 Posts
So I got my crush washers in the mail. I went to drain the oil to see about replacing the washer and this is the sight. It sure as hell looks like a stuck crush washer to me! I wasn't able to remove the washer though it's stuck pretty good. I tried wedging a razor blade in there to try to get it out to no avail. Any other tips?
to me it doesnt look like its there but if it is ,try a small screw driver or heat it up w/small torch

·
Banned
900 Posts
im looking again and to me it doesnt even look like one was there or you lost it in a oil change,i have found mine at the bottom of my oil jug twice,lol

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm, would make sense cause that thing is on there good!

I guess I'll just slap her back together tomorrow and see if it leaks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts