SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I might have fallen into a pretty good trade deal and be getting an 04 crf450r, the only problem is I want to street title it. I know the maintenance sucks but that I am okay with, I have another streetbike to put miles on, this would just be the random in town tear up kinda deal. I know the yamahas have problems with the stators not handling the headlight/brakelight, how are the hondas?

Also the title is possibly an issue, the guy bought it from Kentucky where he says they don't title resold dirt bikes or some craziness, so he doesn't have the title. He said go to the dmv in Missouri (where I am living) with a bill of sale and they will mail you out a title for $60. I'm going to call the dmv tomorrow and find out about this but was wondering if anyone has any experience with such a thing?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Im in Ga... I bought a 07 yz 450, had to have the vin# verified by the police, then i had to do what is called a title bond (for a vehical that dosent have a title or it is lost). It cost about $50 for the bond. I dont know about your state but the best thing to do when you go to the dmv is be nice and polite!!! Getting plates for these bikes can be a pain... just be patient. AND CHECK YOUR LOCAL LAWS

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Everything I have heard about is that MO is pretty lax about it, and I will probably go to my hometown to get tags, figure a little town is more likely to not care and take any money they can get!

·
Registered
211 Posts
NP Man I was in the same situation just a couple months ago... remeber also these things are not cheap to change into a sumo... and the whole thing with the stators... well its just a mess i just run mine with a recargable battery.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How long can you run your headlight before you have to recharge? I might look into that, it would kinda be a pain but I would hardly ever ride when I need it anyway.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
a close friend of mine converted a CRF (he owns a shop, did it for a customer). the bike passed inspection in CT and was registered and everything. however, stator is not going to pump out enough juice to power the lights for an extended period of time. i believe the low-beam requires something like 22W and the stator only generates 20W. you will have to put it on the tender after EVERY ride if you want to keep the battery alive.

·
Registered
211 Posts
man its all pending. 2 1/2 straight. but i like to turn it off as much as i can. its supposed to be on all the time by law. that battery also runs tail and blinkers. if i plan on having it on and im going to ride all day, i throw an extra battery in my backpack. its a pain but its better than all of the problems your going to run into with the stator.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would like to know how much trouble you have trying to tag your creation. I am in mo to and am thanking of what I would like to do next after I get board with my drz
Cedrake

·
Registered
142 Posts
dunno where you heard the yammis have stator problems, it's ALL dirtbikes dude. keep in mind you're building something that was never designed to go on the street, and it sounds like you won't be riding it much anyway (i guarantee that sportbike will start sitting more once you start riding the sm though) most people never spend the time and money to properly set up their electrical systems...you can't fault the bikes for that. you'll definitely need some sort of stator and for the rest baja designs has the best package to get you going, however its far from perfect. the battery packs are terrible. they're nothing more than a bunch of AA batteries strewn together, and they either overload or don't hold charges at all. i've gone through 3 in the past year. if you put a real battery in your bike though, problem solved. i'm going to be running a ttr50 battery which is about as small as they get and they retail for about 45 bucks. they also do the superlight batteries for 200 bucks but for my yz, being that its kickstart only, i couldn't see spending the money for something that only powers lights.

building an mx bike into a sumo is sweet. there are hurdles along the way yes. it's well worth it. if you want easy, buy a drz!

·
Registered
564 Posts
^^^ james knows what he is talking about for sure... he and i just set up my sumo with the ttr battery and it got rid of the light flicker a bit but once the stator cant keep up with the electrical need, your screwed... that is prolly my next little project after my custom shifter project. ill be more than happy to do a write up on wiring the ttr battery into a baja kit along with a staot upgrade if you guys want it that bad. should help out a few people.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had just heard that the yzfs were hard to find a stator that can keep up, had heard the crfs don't have as much of a problem. The battery idea you mentioned sounded good though.

I wouldn't doubt it at all if my triumph will sit after I get a supermoto up and going, at least I hope its that fun!

·
Registered
142 Posts
definitely that fun. came from sportbikes and never looked back. what kind of triumph do you have? 675's and speed/street triples are some of the only street bikes that do anything for me anymore. that triple exhaust note is mesmerizing :bowdown:

dunno what you're budgets like, but theres no shame in buying one thats set up already. the best deals are the street legal enduros that have all the lighting done but their owners aren't trying to recoup all the sm cost back. i bought my street legal non-sm yz426 for 1700 (and in california no less). i would imagine you could steal something like that in mizzou.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would like to get one already setup with lights but I might just fall into this crf on trade so I won't have any cash in it. I will have $1500 or so cash to set it up.

Oh, here is my triumph, its a speed triple with a bunch of random stuff changed on it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
wow good lookin s3 dude...i usually think its sacrilege to take the dual rounds off them but that headlight setup looks clean.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks. It's usually 50/50. Some people love it, some hate it. I love it, I have always been one to go against the norm, maybe that's why i want a supermoto!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts