SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about taking my 04 525 SMR on the street. I have read and seen many different ideas and ways of doing this. Most are for 05 and 06's.

According to my parts diagram, my 04 came stock with the 4K3A stator and flywheel. According to both Trick Dual Sport and Baja Designs, this is what I need to run their kits. I am not sure what I would be looking for if I took the cover off and looked.

My questions is, are the 04's different from the 05 and 06's? Is there more to it that I am missing? I do not care about electric start. If I can do this for $600 or $700, I am for it, but I have seen as much as $1500.

I am thinking about using the TDS and a trail tech Vapor, then riding. Can this be done?

Thanks for looking and for your advice.

Danta

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
If you have a true 04 SMR and not a converted unit it will have a SX stator, flywheel and cover. this unit only makes enough wattage to run a CDI box....that's it. I have a 04 SMR Motor in my 06 560, I installed a EXC flywheel, Moose/Electrosport 270watt stator and a EXC cover. The Moose unit comes with a nice voltage regulator that mounts up on the subframe and works great. I have NEVER had a battery go dead in the 2 yrs I have owned this setup. Everything on the bike is wired DC and works fine. I have installed a EXC headlight with hi/lo and a Baja designs LED rear tail/brake light.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I knew it could not be that easy. I think I am going to go with the TDS kit, but need to figure out how to power it. Is it required to get the flywheel with the moose kit? what did you use for a battery? What is different about the EXC cover from the SMR? Any advice before I go into this?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
#1 Yes you have to get a EXC sized flywheel to run the Moose stator as the stator is bigger in diameter and is mounted inside the cover. Flywheel is mounted on the end of the crank. the SX/SMR cover has a smaller diameter mount area inside the cover when it is attached. I use a 5ah battery, you could even use a 7ah battery to fit inside the stock battery box.

Advice??
I say whatever style of elec kit you go with, make sure the set-up uses a voltage regulator so that everything you use on the bike is wired for DC voltage. Good luck!!
if you have any questions PM me

T

1 - 4 of 4 Posts