SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.
I have been searching here for a while on the subject of making my 1995 Ktm 300 exc street legal. I would love to make it a SM but I have a few issues, I have the origional bill of sale from the guy who bought the bike in PA. I do not have the origional MCO or a title. He gave me a curret bill of sale as well. My idea is to ask a custom bike shop to get me a title for a custom bike and go that route but I dont thin they will just say yes. I live in Rochester NY and I cannot find the exact way of doing this. Any info will help Thanks!

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Don't know man, might just be worth selling your 95 and picking up a 300 with a title and make your life easy. I don't know if my facts are straight but from what I heard 97 is the year they started with the unstamped titles, anyone knows any different feel free to correct...

·
Registered
995 Posts
Without an MCO or exisitng title the NY DMV will not register your bike with a street title. The only legal proof of ownership the DMV accepts are MSO/MCO's made out to the person registering the bike or a title being transfered.

You've got nothing to lose by asking at a custom bike shop how they'd recommend trying to get papers. You could also see if the KTM importer would reissue an MCO. I had the Husky importer do that for me once, but it was a current year model.

I also know of a guy who has a NYS street legal 300EXC he'd probably consider selling if you wanted to go that route.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I contacted the original Ktm dealer and they do not sell ktm's anymore and said try another dealer. I am going to try to ask a custom bike shop or register it in VT and try registering with an out of state title. Or maybe I'm better off selling it and buying a street legal one already idk.... Hate all of the red tape bs. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Does NY do vin checks on out of state bikes when you try and register, I know ct does.. ran across this ealier today in the f/s section thought about it just know....

Depends on if your state checks vin# upon registration - CA definitely does - more states every year - WA this year took plates away after doing VIN checks.

8th digit of a KTM vin# -- a # 3 = closed course - no plate, a # 0 = dual sport or something like that, a # 8 I think is street bike. I think those #'s are assigned when they are brought to the states by the Feds when they apply for VIN #'s. Thus the problem with the SMR as the 8th digit is a 3 - by states that check vin it is a no go, states that just go by the MSO not stating "offroad only" sometimes slip it though. KTM's did just that for years in WA(slip through that is) they started checking vins this year and the SMR plate was done(recinded mine this year). Check your state to see how "loose" they might be, the local DMV should be able to help with this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been wondering the same thing. I just checked my vin and the 8th digit is a 0. I will go to a custom bike shop Monday. I am a mechanic and will wear my uniform maybe they will help me instead of thinking I am trying to screw them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
my '08 300 has the 8th digit 3 in the vin number and I was able to plate it as a second owner. It seems the hardest part is getting a title or MSO in your name, and for now, there are states that are willing to give you a plate.

I'd work with my local ktm dealer and be polite and persistent to get a re-issued mso. Good luck, I love my bike on the street!:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I havent been on here in a while but..... I received my papers from the VT dmv and they want me to bring the bike to VT for an inspection to receive the correct paperwork. then they will issue a title. I have recently found a frame and MCO on ebay and was wondering if I could use the MCO in NY state to gain a title? Any info will help! Thanks. This way all I would have to do is swap frames.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have recently found a frame and MCO on ebay and was wondering if I could use the MCO in NY state to gain a title?
I don't think an MSO/MCO is a transferable document. I'd only consider the frame if your name would be on the MCO as the original owner.

I heard the same thing with the VT registration, you have to bring the bike there for an inspection.

·
Registered
1 Posts
'95 had real titles

I'm pretty sure the '95 had real titles. I own a 1995 300EXC with a Jersey title, registration, and actully got it inspected a few years by adding lights, horn, brake switches.

I'm planning on parting it out as the motor seized and 1995 pistons (unique to that year 2-stroke)are made of unobtainium.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok I know I haven't posted here in a loooong time but.....I finally did it! I resubmitted my info to VT and now my ktm is Legit!

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not really, I received a letter stating to bring my bike to VT and have inspected. I then rode for another summer with no plate (woods only) then filled out all the forms again and sent it in with a check then Bam! I got a plate in the mail with registration and a sticker for the plate shortly after......Love it!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Hello everyone.
I have been searching here for a while on the subject of making my 1995 Ktm 300 exc street legal. I would love to make it a SM but I have a few issues, I have the origional bill of sale from the guy who bought the bike in PA. I do not have the origional MCO or a title. He gave me a curret bill of sale as well. My idea is to ask a custom bike shop to get me a title for a custom bike and go that route but I dont thin they will just say yes. I live in Rochester NY and I cannot find the exact way of doing this. Any info will help Thanks!
look online, there are a few companies that specialize in replacing LOST titles, i think it cost about 275 or 300 bucks...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts