Votes: 4 44.4%
  • No, I like my horse.

Votes: 5 55.6%
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to read the sticky link about the subject, but both links were gone, and nobody has had to deal with new yorks fascist way of doing things, but if by some god given chance you have any no-how about the subject, any help is appeciated!
Thanks

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
:headscratGonna have to throw out a little more info!!!! Nobody knows what you are talking about:headshake

·
Registered
804 Posts
I heard a rumor that NY DMV now has a hit list of bikes that are a no go, there is suppose to be something in the VIN number now that throws up a red flag...thats just what I've heard and it came from a buddy of mine that works at my local dealer as a salesman..

If your thinking of trying to get a mx bike road legal your best bet is to buy one that is already plated from another state and hope you can sneak it thru the system.. :rolleyes:

or buy a EXC/SMC from KTM they are G2G I've owned and plated both..

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ug, i know there is a way, i know people that did it, but they refuse to tell me how, and new york has KKKaliforna as its idol, thats why we have strict laws from guns to cars, but i think your right, i have to pay a homeless person to register my bike in Vermont, and then transfer the title,
its almost not worth it. I could have got a new 2010 crf450 for $2600, but i would have to store it on the street, then they would come around and tow it, another $300:bs: for the impound fee every week, then ny's registration fee and ny's buttrape tax. Oh well, and for the person that doesn't understand what i was saying, i hope you enjoyed your stay in ny, nobody knows any laws or anything here.

But i have relatives in florida, could they register it, then sell it back to me?

·
Registered
804 Posts
But i have relatives in florida, could they register it, then sell it back to me?
maybe !!

I don't know the Florida laws but it seems like that was one of the freindly states for plating a bike....Arizona was another if you know anybody out there..

If you find a way be sure to post up what it took to get it done... :thumbup:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmmmm i sense a business idea

thanks for your help, i will be sure to post a way if i do it, just need to get some money and hide the crf from the popo

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
There are a few ways, When I had my Wr450 I got it legal with a title from an MSO that said for off road use only.

I worked at the local custom bike shop and they were a licensed manufacturer. I got the paper work to make my Wr450 a "Custom" motorcycle. This gave me a title, and I walked into the DMV to register my bike. If anything it was even easier then doing it with a street legal bike, seems to me that there are less regulations on a custom bike.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
i love you....you dont understand how happy this makes me.....thats what i figured when i called my local bike shop

BANANAS FOR ALL
:bannana::bannana::bannana::bannana::bannana::bannana::bannana::bannana::bannana::bannana::bannana::bannana::bannana::bannana:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Let me know how this one plays out :thumbup:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, i will try to do a whole writeup by next week, theres a custom motorcycle show a few miles from where im staying, ill go talk to them, and then do a full writup in detail, so that way the whole internet will know how to do this. But in the meantime, i know you have to do something with form MV-82, heres the link

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/mv82.pdf

·
Registered
804 Posts
ok, i will try to do a whole writeup by next week, theres a custom motorcycle show a few miles from where im staying, ill go talk to them, and then do a full writup in detail, so that way the whole internet will know how to do this. But in the meantime, i know you have to do something with form MV-82, heres the link

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/mv82.pdf
good luck man :thumbup:

I'd love to get a KTM 300 XC plated here.. :D

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have a plated 2005 KTM 525 SMR. Registered in October, 2010. Before that it didn't have a plate and I'm neither the original owner nor could I track down the original owner.

It was a PAIN to get it titled. This was in New York City.

I'm likely looking to sell as I'd like a commuter bike (e.g. WR250X).

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a plated 2005 KTM 525 SMR. Registered in October, 2010. Before that it didn't have a plate and I'm neither the original owner nor could I track down the original owner.

It was a PAIN to get it titled. This was in New York City.

I'm likely looking to sell as I'd like a commuter bike (e.g. WR250X).

wow, i bet, especially in NYC, did you use the custom motorcycle route?:headscrat

·
Registered
202 Posts
wow, i bet, especially in NYC, did you use the custom motorcycle route?:headscrat
Although I'm thinking of selling my bike and therefore shouldn't convince anyone to buy a bike that isn't mine, I'm really not sure that it should be too difficult to plate. My issue was that I'm not the original owner and the original owner is off the grid. I had an MSO that said "motorcycle" (as in, not "off road use"), so I don't know what other red flags there would be. Yes, I am aware of the 8th digit, but as far as I know New York has not yet adopted that policy.

If I could do it over again, would I? Probably not. But now I have a plated SMR, so I guess that should carry value. But for a first bike/new rider?

·
Registered
50 Posts
ug, i know there is a way, i know people that did it, but they refuse to tell me how, and new york has KKKaliforna as its idol, thats why we have strict laws from guns to cars, but i think your right, i have to pay a homeless person to register my bike in Vermont, and then transfer the title,
its almost not worth it. I could have got a new 2010 crf450 for $2600, but i would have to store it on the street, then they would come around and tow it, another $300:bs: for the impound fee every week, then ny's registration fee and ny's buttrape tax. Oh well, and for the person that doesn't understand what i was saying, i hope you enjoyed your stay in ny, nobody knows any laws or anything here.

NO GO for florida they changed there laws, they do the vin check now too. They didnt used to.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
damn, i always figured that any motorcycle is better than a huge SUV, but oh well...its like when the cop told me i couldn't do auto cross in an abandoned parking lot [my friend was the owner of the lot BTW, he was in another car] he said it was a public highway....didnt give us a ticket, guess ill just start smoking crack or something, cause everything is illegal in ny now.

·
Registered
202 Posts

Wow, how did I miss the crazy rant? I know not everyone agrees on all issues, but I seriously get weirded out by all the gun and anti-California talk on this site, which is usually just added as, in my opinion, off-topic ranting. I disagree with the way some things are done. I don't like that I can buy a Hayabusa as my first bike, but legalizing an off-road, relatively low hp, single cylinder, low top speed, low cc 'tard is becoming ever an impossible task.

I didn't see any mention of you being denied at the DMV. Have you tried to title your bike and were denied? Do Honda MSOs say off-road use only? I think I've read that KTM switched their MSOs to say off-road at one point, but the only one I've seen is the one I had (2005 SMR), which thankfully just said motorcycle.

I read about the custom bike route when I was having difficulties, but something about it made me shy away. It's sad to see so many choppers with plates, but then awesome, perfect for city street bikes like 'tards are a pain to legalize. Hopefully you'll have luck, though.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
yea, i can agree on the gun thing, i dont like the crazy second amendment people, but i know people who were in the wrong place at the wrong time, and did nothing wrong, so thats my excuse. I dont like to hear that the solution to everything is to give everyone a gun. But, i think banning everything is just as bad, if not worse.

no i didnt get denied yet, i just cant afford the chances of impound fees, and the possibility i might be stuck with a bike i cant use, and no spare money. Dirt bikes dont sell to well in the city.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts