SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, this is my first post... been a lurker for a while now and now that my build is finally getting close to being usable soon, so i thought I'd start a thread now and have it be active as opposed to a long lived and barely living thread.

So after graduating high school, my dad sold my first bike (he bought it... it was technically "his" and I was just going insane without bikes in my life, but I am sick of all the squids riding their rev rockets and I definitely didn't want a 400lb rev rocket sitting in my garage, so I decided I wanted to convert an offroad/dual sport to a motard. There are plenty of other reasons as to why I wanted a supermoto, but you've heard em all before.

I was looking to get a bike and fix it up and tune it to my likings for about the same cost as a new bike. I want something that looks nice and eye catching, and have great performance, but I didn't want it to be perfect... I want to throw this bike around and not care when i bust parts on (or off) it.

I ended up getting a used 2005 CRF450R (in May? maybe June) I had watched on craigslist sit and sit until the owner dropped the price to what I was looking for (I live in Bozeman, MT and you only get so many bikes to choose from if you're going the used route). It was an ex-racer that had a bunch of candy on it that I probably would've needlessly blown a wad of cash on anyways, so I took it off the old owner... kind of looking for a problem child so I would have excuses to rebuild the engine right away... and yup... I had a bunch to do.

I view myself as a pretty fortunate as an individual, as I am going to college right now, and I have a great dog, car, and I bought a house with a 3% mortgage rate :lol: and I am renovating said house and working another job on the side... So every dollar I make

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
cont...

goes right into this bike. That's what's holding this deal up.

When I got this bike, I found that the front shocks were leaky and needed seals (previous owner bought this off the original owner, doesn't really know anything about bikes, but he knew about this for sure). I wasn't going to be a fool and not check out the valve clearances on this one before I started really putting tons on money into it. After I got that checked out I found out that the bike needed new valves. At this point I decided to buy a new oem head with kibblewhite ss black diamond valves or w/e ever they call them. I just got that head in the mail, and I got the cylinder re-nikasil-ed and I'm waiting for the cylinder to get back. I've also got a 70w trail tech stator in, and I need to install all of that other junk to legalize it.

I'm having trouble uploading pictures to this site. maybe because it's my first posts? but for the time being i make a flikr to share some photos. as of now, the pictures on there are of the bike when I first got it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pezzwatoosh/

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Getting rid of those valves will make it a nice bike. I used to live in kalispell. I love montana and some day I'll move back

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HELP!! Picture upload problems!

Yea! Montana is awesome, I don't think I'll live here once I graduate though.

And I am having problems uploading pictures still! can anyone help?
The size is well within the limits (both pixel number and file size).
I am trying to post in .jpg format, anyone have better luck with other formats? I really don't want to post pictures on flikr... i want people to know when i actually update my shit!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Best bet is to make a photobucket account, then use the direct link option on photobucket. Copy that URL and then click the insert image icon on this forum and paste it into there. Make sure to delete the "HTTP://" from the box when it pops up. Hope that helps, if not you can PM me and I may be able to explain it better.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally!

Before:

As it sits in my garage now:

New head (new '07-'08 head w/ kibblewhite ss valves):

How's this for a headlight?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Love the look of a torn down bike, it means something great is about to happen...lol I like the headlight, was gonna go with one of those for my build but it won't fit cause of the KTM speedo/odo.

·
Registered
18 Posts
fellow 406'er!

props to a fellow 406'er runnin supermoto, im from belgrade but live in colorado now an racing supermoto in our local series!

an yes get the hell out of MT for a while, its really eye opening to experience other places. i graduated in '09 an moved to sacramento cali. and went to auto tech school. i graduated that an decided cali wasnt the right scene for a MT boy, so i moved to FT Collins Colo an am lovin life here! perfect mix of cali an mont i think. an i actually get to race my supermoto!

hope the project works out for ya

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
progress!

I need a stock filter screen and a stock carb needle to come into stock at the local honda dealer... other than that the new engine is all put together! then to start the electrical work! it was kinda sketchy getting the bike home with open exhaust and intake ports and a blizzard starting! pics soon!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
props to a fellow 406'er runnin supermoto, im from belgrade but live in colorado now an racing supermoto in our local series!

an yes get the hell out of MT for a while, its really eye opening to experience other places. i graduated in '09 an moved to sacramento cali. and went to auto tech school. i graduated that an decided cali wasnt the right scene for a MT boy, so i moved to FT Collins Colo an am lovin life here! perfect mix of cali an mont i think. an i actually get to race my supermoto!

hope the project works out for ya

looks like we have some intertwining circles right here, most of my family is in cali, i am from colorado, live in bozeman, and like half of my friends from high school go to csu. and cali is awesome to visit, but not live (socal at least), but at least they got lane splitting

·
Registered
18 Posts
what a small world

looks like we have some intertwining circles right here, most of my family is in cali, i am from colorado, live in bozeman, and like half of my friends from high school go to csu. and cali is awesome to visit, but not live (socal at least), but at least they got lane splitting
ya id agree that was the best part of cali, being able to rip through miles of backed up traffic an never get in trouble. i got myself into plenty of other trouble on my 05 R1 though, CHP are profiling dickheads there.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
CHP are profiling dickheads there.
go to douglas county and see what profiling is.
douglas county sheriff, colorado highway patrol, parker police, and castle rock police (all training centers for police forces around the usa). They had insane quotas and were all bored out of their minds. one time i got a 167 dollar ticket for putting pinecones on the street in a subdivision called "The Pinery" ...good thing one friend i was with at the time (who got an identical ticket), had a dad who was a DA so we got out of it. now that friend is going to parties at the playboy mansion and hanging out with mike tyson. maybe i should've stuck with that kid...

p.s. My parents are downsizing, so now i have a 1996 xr400r sitting in my garage which i CAN drive. F yea!

·
Registered
18 Posts
rock on!

go to douglas county and see what profiling is.
douglas county sheriff, colorado highway patrol, parker police, and castle rock police (all training centers for police forces around the usa). They had insane quotas and were all bored out of their minds. one time i got a 167 dollar ticket for putting pinecones on the street in a subdivision called "The Pinery" ...good thing one friend i was with at the time (who got an identical ticket), had a dad who was a DA so we got out of it. now that friend is going to parties at the playboy mansion and hanging out with mike tyson. maybe i should've stuck with that kid...

p.s. My parents are downsizing, so now i have a 1996 xr400r sitting in my garage which i CAN drive. F yea!
ha ya ill try an avoid those areas now!:anim_peep:

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got one of those.Streetlegal Crf450r.It's a hoot,but don't use it for a commuter.:thumbup:
yea, the city/town where i live at is like 5 square miles, and i reallllly dont have all that far to go, i buy like 20 gallons of gas once every 2 months due to how little i need to drive, so this is just a toy. i'm keeping the stock tank to keep me tied down, range-wise. in a couple years i might go ahead and buy an aprilia sxv, triumph street triple r, or a ktm duke if they bring them back stateside for a more practical ride.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Engine working!

earlier this week i got my engine all put together and my bike got running... not one problem, and this build has involved opening the left crankcase to install a new stator and right crankcase to inspect the clutch, as well as dismantling the carb 3x (cleaning and inspecting, making adjustments, and adding new internals), removing nearly everything off the bike, and a refinished cylinder, new piston, new head, new valves (obv) and a dismantled camshaft. started on the 5th kick... that was with a dry carb/gas lines prior. how's that for lucky?!

so far i am hoping to get the street legal setup going by the end of next week (finals week followed by a few days of busy work schedules), and i am looking at all the things i need to get still:

-Trail tech vapor
-protector for vapor
-different taillight than what i have? (maybe some integrated turn signals)
-exhaust protector doughnut (anyone know where to get those?)
-radiator cases w/ lateral support
-radiator fan which i could mount to radiator cases (later, most likely)
-rear axle block sliders and front axle sliders
-wheels i was thinking a excel setup 17x3.5 and 17x4.25 OR 17x5 (i am going to make these wheels pretty tricked out, so would a 4.25 eliminate chain slap more? would the performance gains from a 5" be worth it for the street even?) <--- OPINIONS PLEASE
-brakes: pending purchase on some used setups now (front and rear)
-tires: thinking about contiAttacks or some avon distanzias. what do you guys think?
-maybe a bigger gas tank later on?
-skid plate and frame guards
-supermoto handguards

anyway, here's a picture of the semi put together bike... i think it looks a whole lot better than before:

oh and there's the new friend in the background!
i didnt bolt down the seat or gas tank or the new stator harness yet as i am just going to tear it all apart for doing the electrical work... wish me luck. i will need it.

p.s. dont give me shit for having the MX wheels... i may put some spikeys in them so i can rip in the snow... to break in the new engine of course =D

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
also, i have an all black seat cover i was going to put on... but i am starting to like the stock one more with this color scheme. opinions?

I also have the old 2005 450r head which needs the valves resurfaced (crfsonly.com will perform this job for 150 bucks). if in the market for a 450r head, i was thinking i could sell this to someone for $60 including shipping. if you really wanted the old springs/keepers/cotters, i could probably throw those in there too.

i also have a stock stator and flywheel. make me an offer if you want them?

1 - 20 of 90 Posts