SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have an 2006 SM610, recently its developed a strange noise when I start it up. It sounds like some really loose valves but its only for a second (literally) after i hit the starter then its gone.

It doesn't do it every time either.... any help appreciated!

·
Registered
781 Posts
Hmm.. sounds like you could have a loose mounting bolt on the starter? I'd probly start there. No pun intended lol

Unplug your spark plug cap and kneel down next to bike while cranking, see if you can narrow down where the noise is coming from.

·
Registered
781 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm.. sounds like you could have a loose mounting bolt on the starter? I'd probly start there. No pun intended lol

Unplug your spark plug cap and kneel down next to bike while cranking, see if you can narrow down where the noise is coming from.
I had a look at the starter and the mounting bolts seem fine. It only seems to make the noise just as it kicks into life - not while its winding over.

If I was to guess it sounds like its coming from nearer the top of the engine??

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the same noise. Mine is a 2004 model. I think its the cam chain! But not sure.
Its only a few seconds and then it stops, and like you said not everytime!

So my question is how do you know when to tense it?

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Maybe the auto decompression system disengaging?

·
Registered
213 Posts
610's are known for cam chain stretch and chain wear of the bolt retaining the crankcase breather. Check your cam chain tensioner and compare the number of clicks showing and make sure it is within the limits specified by the manual.

·
Registered
581 Posts
My 2008 610 has always made a very loud rattle for the first 5-10 seconds after startup. The dealer said it is the auto decompression. It goes away by itself, or I can just slightly blip the throttle and it goes away.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts