SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
----------------------------Slightly long post warning-----------------------------------
Hey guys, I put an STM Slipper in my '07 525EXC motard and am having some problems I just can't figure out myself.

Background story: I have already re-installed it about 5 times as the clutchpack from the standard clutch was too thin (gears did not engage), and the clutchpack that came with the STM was too thick (clutch did nothing). So I had to use trial and error - it seemed to work fine with 3 of the thicker fibres and 4 of the thinner ones.

1. With the bike off, in gear, clutch in, it is very hard to push (the rear wheel almost locks up) [Not sure if it's somewhat normal but the standard clutch only did this to a small extent]

2. There is a small pull forwards when at a standstill with clutch in (On flat ground it wants to roll forwards)

3. After riding for more than 15 minutes (including clutch-up wheelies etc.) it began to slip when I gave it a hit in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Sitting at some lights for a while the bike began to overheat (never happened before) and I noticed the clutch cover (and oil inside) was much hotter than usual which must've contributed.

P.S.
I haven't noticed the slipper clutch doing the 'slipper' bit very much, I can still clutch start it fine & a friend of mine with a Suter clutch is unable to clutch start his. Mine has the 170kg pressure plate.

Before these problems arose (after 15mins) it felt completely normal apart from problems 1 & 2

Much appreciated if you read all that!

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
check plates to make sure they are not warped -
is clutch new ?
any different adjustment springs /plates

is there any notches in clutch basket?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
check plates to make sure they are not warped -
is clutch new ?
any different adjustment springs /plates

is there any notches in clutch basket?
I bought it second hand but in like new condition, and the fibres i got with it are brand new - reused my old steel plates that seem fine
The plates all look fine, plenty of meat on the fibres that weren't new.
Nothing else is adjustable, it just bolts together. You have to buy a different pressure plate to change clamping force (but mine is the heaviest available weight i think)

Today I swapped one thin plate out for a thicker one so I will try have a ride tomorrow and see if its improved at all. But i think it is now a couple hundredths of a millimetre thicker than recommended thickness.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Slipper

Are you using the assembly bolts to correctly compact the clutch pack when you assemble the clutch pack??
There are many different clutch "stack heights" for an RFS motor. Early bikes had a thinner stack... then 04/05 bikes were thicker.and in 2006 they were even thicker. If you search through the microfiche in through the years you will see the differences in the clutch stack quantities of fibers and steels and more investigating will allow you to know some of the steels were a different thickness than others... and the rollers are different lenghts.

First thing to do is verify the year of the slipper clutch that you actually have and use the stack height made for that year slipper not the one for your 07.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts