SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
its going to be a preference thing. The spring can be replaced with heavier/lighter ones. I think 220 is the stiffest and 30 is the lightest, I think staying on the lighter side is a good bet but you could try it and see if you still get a bunch of wheel hop/chatter. The one thing i don't like about my STM is i can feel the chatter through the clutch lever. You get used to it but just thought id give you a heads up. seems like a good deal. Just know that you can adjust it by replacing the spring, but they are around $90 each.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Yep that is what you need. I think most people are happy with std 140KG spring. This is the exact clutch i have in my 07 YZ450. The add say 03-06 but it can be used with the 07-09 also if you use the clutch pak from the 03-06 which is basically the steel plates from the 06 plus 1 extra fiber. As far as feel mine operates identical to the stock clutch I get no chatter what so ever. It simply works as it is suppose to and eliminates rear wheel chatter/hop when downshifting quick on corner entry. The only difference from the stock clutch is at very low RPM if you stall you will feel it "click" through the lever and disengage then stall. Not an issue at all and actually makes the bike harder to stall if you have that issue. Looks in decent shape and all there. You might even be able to grind him a bit on the price.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Yep that is what you need. I think most people are happy with std 140KG spring. This is the exact clutch i have in my 07 YZ450. The add say 03-06 but it can be used with the 07-09 also if you use the clutch pak from the 03-06 which is basically the steel plates from the 06 plus 1 extra fiber. As far as feel mine operates identical to the stock clutch I get no chatter what so ever. It simply works as it is suppose to and eliminates rear wheel chatter/hop when downshifting quick on corner entry. The only difference from the stock clutch is at very low RPM if you stall you will feel it "click" through the lever and disengage then stall. Not an issue at all and actually makes the bike harder to stall if you have that issue. Looks in decent shape and all there. You might even be able to grind him a bit on the price.
Mike its interesting you dont get any chatter through your clutch lever. Myself and a few others with STMs have all had that.:headscrat

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A little confused..... I thought the slipper clutch stopped/reduced wheel chatter. How do you feel it through the lever?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I run an STM on my CRF250 and get no "chatter" on the lever. What I do get is a click if I feather the clutch a bit while the slipper is doing its thing, which is normal. Is that what you guys are talking about?

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
A little confused..... I thought the slipper clutch stopped/reduced wheel chatter. How do you feel it through the lever?
because the clutch is doing the slipping so you get some feedback through the clutch actuation rod, through the cable and to the lever.

When i back it in I don't just dump the clutch. I let it out and constantly modulate it. I always have a finger on the clutch even if i am not pulling on the lever. Its not chatter like the tire or chain etc. but i can feel the clutch working. Maybe the rmz clutch setup is a little different I dont know. Its not bad but it is something you notice at first.

·
Registered
93 Posts
...and I forgot to say, which was the original question, I run a 110Kg primary spring. Don't know the secondary spring tension, but I use a hydraulic clutch so the pull is no problem ;)

With the 110Kg on a 250R I can slam into the proper gear and dump the clutch with no wheel hop. The clutch places max drag on the wheel, so much so, that if I even brush the rear brake it'll stall. Power comes on nice and smooth of the turn. Just about the only thing I don't like is that it take more clutch travel to fully disengage compared to the stock, it felt odd at first.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info. Sounds like a good deal. seems like the springs aren't too difficult to replace and switch up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts