SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used Husky SMR 450. The bike is amazing 99% of the time. Every little bit, the clutch, when starting from a stop, will grab as I'm letting the lever out and stall the motor. Most of the time it works perfect. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
the ears on your outer clutch basket have developed grooves. you can file um down for the quick redneck fix or replace the clutch basket...or do nothing the bike wont explode your clutch will just be grabby

·
Registered
608 Posts
how many hrs/ miles on the bike?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how many hrs/ miles on the bike?
The bike has 2900 miles on it. I'm going to bleed the clutch tonight and if that doesn't help, I'll pull the case off and check out the backet. With the engine off, you put it in gear, pull in the clutch and try and push it, it doesn't want to roll. This was the same with my Beta trials bike so I thought all hydraulic clutches were this way. Guess it isn't supposed to do that.

Good places to buy clutch basket?

·
Registered
267 Posts
The bike has 2900 miles on it. I'm going to bleed the clutch tonight and if that doesn't help, I'll pull the case off and check out the backet. With the engine off, you put it in gear, pull in the clutch and try and push it, it doesn't want to roll. This was the same with my Beta trials bike so I thought all hydraulic clutches were this way. Guess it isn't supposed to do that.

Good places to buy clutch basket?

Ferracci has a billet clutch basket that is real nice. I installed it in my 510 but havent ridden it yet. You may also want to check the length of the clutch push rod, apparently it flattens a little bit and doesnt push the hub all the way. You can shim it or buy a new rod. Read about it over on thumpertalk.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a TC 450 that had the same problem with. I heard that the husqvarna clutch plates get hot and stick together after a hard ride. So one day I went to ride my bike and the clutch would not disengage and I couldn't start the bike without it taking off.

My local Husky dealer told me that the sticky clutch was an easy fix. You just have to stall the bike with the rear brakes. Get the bike going in high first gear and then just mash on the rear brakes. This should break loose the clutch plates. It may take a couple of stalls to break them loose but it worked just fine for me on the first stall.

Know I just focus on riding easy for the last 15 minutes of my ride to let me bike cool down.

By the way, I am the president of HusqvarnaOutlet.com - Online supplier of Husky bikes and parts world-wide. Check out our Husky Message Forum and Husky Chat Room to share your opinions with others.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just changed the engine oil, cleaned the master and bled the clutch line, and checked the clutch basket. The basket looks fine ( no grooves worn into it ). My clutch is still sticking. Any other ideas as to what might be causing this?

·
Registered
961 Posts
I just changed the engine oil, cleaned the master and bled the clutch line, and checked the clutch basket. The basket looks fine ( no grooves worn into it ). My clutch is still sticking. Any other ideas as to what might be causing this?
Just curious, what oil you are running?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well a local guy I know who works with a lot of clutches suggested I run some Shell Rotella T oil thru it. He said it works magic on clutches. So far no good either. If anything the clutch is worse. This is driving me nuts.

·
Registered
365 Posts
give it a little more gas when leaving a stop, or slip the clutch a bit. hydro clutches are more on/off than a cable system. cables you whats going on more. once a hydro clutch hits a spot in the lever movement it will either let go or push. their a little harder to modulate some times. if your not used to them it can be a little iritating. but mainly it sounds like your plates are sticking. this is normal if the clutch gets to hot, like from slipping it to do wheelies(no offense, just guesing from your avatar). pull the plates and inspect them for wear. and check the steels for any blueing or discoloration, this is a sure sign of over heating. on a side note, if you dont want to have to change the oil to check the clutch, just put the bike on its side. wont hurt anything and you wont lose oil.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts