SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 610 head is anyway. Last couple rides I've noticed some oily grim around the front of the cylinder above and below the header. What did you guys that had the weeping head gaskets do, replace or just torque 'em down?

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm pretty sure its just the valve cap, aka the valve cover (but not the little inspection window cover)

You mean the covers you take off for adjusting your valves...those covers, right?
I'm not sure I know what the inspection window cover is.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
If it's above the exhaust it is probably the rocker cover. I think that is what Ungarisch is saying? If it's not leaking bad, I'd probably let it go till the next valve adjustment or even the cam chain replacement. It would probably add about 30 minutes or more to do it with the valve adjustment.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it's above the exhaust it is probably the rocker cover. I think that is what Ungarisch is saying? If it's not leaking bad, I'd probably let it go till the next valve adjustment or even the cam chain replacement. It would probably add about 30 minutes or more to do it with the valve adjustment.
So you can pull the rocker-cover without disturbing the cams, chain or lifters?

·
Registered
374 Posts
My 610 had the same weeping when I bought it (with 1300 miles). The cover you remove to adjust the valves was the culprit. I was going to let it go until I did a valve adjustment later but I ended up doing some maintenance that started as an oil change and fuel screw swap escalated to a valve adjustment and radiator flushing.

I used some black ATV silicone on the existing gaskets (I had 0% confidence that torquing them better would seal them up) and haven't had any weeping since then in about 500 miles including a track day.

They aren't TERRIBLE to get to if you don't mind pulling one of your radiators (a good time for a flush and some watter wetter instead of glycol).

·
Registered
262 Posts
wow i thought this was completly normal!! i cure mine once a week with some good ol brakecleen:laughingr
Same with mine. Low miles due to injury, but I bust out the contact cleaner after every ride. The front of the motor and the oil fill are weeping enough to make a mess of things. Still not a leak though.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Same with mine. Low miles due to injury, but I bust out the contact cleaner after every ride. The front of the motor and the oil fill are weeping enough to make a mess of things. Still not a leak though.
for the oil fill just go get a thicker o-ring. pull the old one off and put the thicker one in. pretty sure its a 3/4 that fit on mine. cap doesnt screw down as far as before but hasnt leaked since.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I had a little bit of weep myself on the exhaust valve cover, the cover that you remove to adjust the valves.

The exhaust valve cover is always more prone to weep due the higher temps on that side and the resulting differential expansion and contraction.

I just carefully removed the gaskets, wiped them clean, inspected the mating surfaces for burrs and other defects (found none), and then reused everything after I adjusted the valves.

I have not had any weep since then. I'll be checking the valves, taking a look at the CCT, and changing the oil & filter soon though, I'm up to 4,000 miles already.

·
Registered
76 Posts
i have the same weeping problem goin on with my 610. bought it about a month ago at 2000mi. after about a week of riding i started to notice it. leaves a little spot on the ground after i park it then stops. when i do the cam chain i will have to take care of it. until then i will just deal with the oily appearance. have yet to check my cam chain. from how it sounds i should definitely be a few clicks out. trying to get a clutch cable now. :hmmm:

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had a oil weep from the valve cover as well. I just RTV'd it and adjusted my valves in the process. But now im waiting on a water pump gasket... and till then the bike is out of commission.

So if you are going to fix it probably a good idea to order the gasket before hand... which i should of known better..

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Making your own outta gasket material is much mo better, and you don't hafta wait either. :thumbup:

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think i have the same problem but on my 510, just noticed it last oil change. Anyone else have this problem on a 510?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts