SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally getting started on my crf450r street legal tard(after heavily convincing the fiance we would save tons of money:rofl:) Ordered all the lights, stator etc, and working on a deal rite now on some used excels. I have a couple questions for you guys.1) Not planning on racing since theres no track near me so can I get by with stock rotors and brakes for a while or are they a must have. 2) also I am thinking of a 15 front 43 rear, Will this be a comfortable ratio on my bike cruisin at 70? And also whats the best budgeted street tire thats going to last a decent amount of time. Thanks, Cody

·
Registered
438 Posts
You can get by with the stock rotors just as long as you don't go trough some heavy twisty and get real aggressive the will heat and warp . Around town should be good ,but then just upgrade the front rotor with adaptor bracket for the caliper to save money .. my 2 Cents. Probably up two teeth in back or even four for long distance highway rides short spurts might be fine just keep it the way it is and wait and ride ,,see how it goes. Don't know about tires everyone will have there own preference.Just go pick out a mid level tire to start and figure out your riding style or where you will mostly be riding.

·
Registered
84 Posts
gearing sounds in the ballpark. it may still not be tons of fun at 70. My four speed yzf with 15-44 is pretty buzzy, but has alot more to go at highway speed. you could get a 40 tooth and have the option of 13 14 and 15 fronts. DO you want tires for 17's or stock wheels? Stock rotors will work decent for now, but i would keep and eye out for a deal on something. I got a motomaster rotor from motostrano last year when it was on sale it was like a hundred bucks off. I can't say I'd recommend the ebc rotor i have one on my 650 and like the motomaster rotor better.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can get by with the stock rotors just as long as you don't go trough some heavy twisty and get real aggressive the will heat and warp . Around town should be good ,but then just upgrade the front rotor with adaptor bracket for the caliper to save money .. my 2 Cents. Probably up two teeth in back or even four for long distance highway rides short spurts might be fine just keep it the way it is and wait and ride ,,see how it goes. Don't know about tires everyone will have there own preference.Just go pick out a mid level tire to start and figure out your riding style or where you will mostly be riding.
Shouldn't I be going down in the back for less rpms at higher speeds? Or do you meen go with a 47 or 45?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gearing sounds in the ballpark. it may still not be tons of fun at 70. My four speed yzf with 15-44 is pretty buzzy, but has alot more to go at highway speed. you could get a 40 tooth and have the option of 13 14 and 15 fronts. DO you want tires for 17's or stock wheels? Stock rotors will work decent for now, but i would keep and eye out for a deal on something. I got a motomaster rotor from motostrano last year when it was on sale it was like a hundred bucks off. I can't say I'd recommend the ebc rotor i have one on my 650 and like the motomaster rotor better.
I'm working on a deal for some used 17's rite now but if that falls through it'll be stock wheels for a little while.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So rear rotor doesn't make a huge difference? I know the front brake makes like 70% of the stopping power but will the rear end be to light with only oversized in front in heavy braking?

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
keep an eye out here for parts. 14/43 is good to go. i was running 14/45 and sits at 55 nice. raises complete hell. run a full quart in the trans and get a aftermarket can chain tentioner. here is my hotrod. blew it up due to the stock cam chain tentioner. it is now close to a cr500af supermoto.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
keep an eye out here for parts. 14/43 is good to go. i was running 14/45 and sits at 55 nice. raises complete hell. run a full quart in the trans and get a aftermarket can chain tentioner. here is my hotrod. blew it up due to the stock cam chain tentioner. it is now close to a cr500af supermoto.
Thats a sick honda man, to bad mine won't be so clean do to a year on it in the rocky arizona dezert, maybe new plastics are in my future. What did you polish youre frame with? I see it all the time just never had the opportunity to ask. Also where do I get the tensioner at?

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
well first off the trickest cam tention is made by tokyo mods. about 80 bucks. will help ya from blowing a motor. thats how mine blew. 6k+ hard street miles is damm good if ya sk me. the motor was built by ron hamp who is a crf450 god. check him out he is on thumper talk. as far as polishing the frame. go to the hardware store and get some 500, 800, 1000, 2000, and plus wet sandpaper. the frame is bare so there is no coating on it. take the shrouds and tank off and get to work with a bucket of soapy water. each grit is about a hour od sanding. i went to 12k grit. yeagh ya heard me correct. it is actually called micromesh and can be found on ebay. it is used to polish aircraft plexiglass windows. anyway 2k is more than enough. when you are done give it a good polish with some mothers and a rag and you are good to go. once you do it you will understand. the finder grit you sand wioth the less up keep you will have. i did do the swingarm but it has a coating and it is a mother trucker to get off. not worth the time in my book. now that my motor is blown and the fram is getting converted to accept the cr500 enging i am getting the frame subframe and swingarm powdercoated black. good luck and if you have any questions feel free to ask. aloha

1 - 10 of 10 Posts