SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys I would like to say hi to everyone I'm kind of new to the site and I'm looking forward to get to know you guys.
Anyhow I'm starting to change my old 93 KLX 650C (the dual sport) into a supermoto. I'm sure that someone out there has done this already and any tips or tricks would be great. I'm having trouble finding a 17" front wheel for my 650, the rear wheel is already a 17. The parts guy at the bike shop is no help. He keeps telling me its not a KLX its a KLR and their no wheel made for it and that I will never find radial tubes. Which is funny because there is supermotos on his show room floor.
If any of you guys have any advice to give me that would be awesome even if it telling me I'm wasting my time with a 16 year old bike
Thanks
COOTER

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey Cooter

I just got a KLX also... The 17inch wheel can be done..I have seen another KLX in my city that has 17's ..its a pretty rare bike .. so I think aftermarket parts will be harder to come by.. I think most people with this bike lace up 17's to the current hub. This is what I will probably do eventually

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey Guys I would like to say hi to everyone I'm kind of new to the site and I'm looking forward to get to know you guys.
Anyhow I'm starting to change my old 93 KLX 650C (the dual sport) into a supermoto. I'm sure that someone out there has done this already and any tips or tricks would be great. I'm having trouble finding a 17" front wheel for my 650, the rear wheel is already a 17. The parts guy at the bike shop is no help. He keeps telling me its not a KLX its a KLR and their no wheel made for it and that I will never find radial tubes. Which is funny because there is supermotos on his show room floor.
If any of you guys have any advice to give me that would be awesome even if it telling me I'm wasting my time with a 16 year old bike
Thanks
COOTER
I see how old this is, but the information I'm presenting is what we've experienced in the Yahoo KLX650 group.

Well, I have about 44,000 miles on my KLX650C. I did have to rebuild the topend when the SECOND cam chain tensioner failed at 15,000 miles. I have nearly 30,000 trouble free miles on the rebuilt top end. We put in a Vulcan 1500 piston, to displace 678cc. The compression allows pump gas, but pulls really stronger through the whole power band.

I now make manual tensioners for a variety of Kawasakis courtesy of my KLX and Zephyr. That is the one weak spot on the KLX650 - the "automatic" cam chain tensioner that junks out. I've sold about 40 of them to date. The kit is $30 if you don't already have a manual conversion. If you do, that's a plus. You should be good to go and trouble free. I also used a Dial-A-Jet to compensate for modifications and altitude changes. It's an enrichening circuit that does away with the need for rejetting. It worked on the stock engine and has compensated for the big bore, the BajaDesigns full reverse cone megaphone exhaust, and opening up the lid of the airbox. It also has worked from sea level at Daytona to about 5000 feet in the Appalachian Mountains without any adjustment.

When it comes to wheels, put the rear rim on the front since you need a wider rear rim to fit the tire you will want to put on it. You should use the stock 3" rear rim on the front for a 120/70-17 which will still be a bit big for that width rim, but will work. On the rear you likely want at least a 4.25 rim to fit a 140 or 150 tire. You can't go too big unless you shave the side of the tire or do some modifications. I'd stick with a 140/70-17 rear and a 110/70-17 front tire. They're wide enough and aren't overly costly.

For what it's worth, there is the Yahoo KLX650 group that is specific to the C and R models. I'm a moderator and the guys know their stuff. Feel free to come over and join if you haven't already.

And that service guy just apparently has never run into the KLX. I'd never seen one until my friend/mechanic at the dealership where I worked back in 98 showed me the service manual cover. I found one, traveling 250 miles one way to get it. Have never regretted it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
realize this is old.

Thanks
COOTER
well i see that im like 3 years late to this post, but i was looking for info in general to the klx 650....
a freind just picked one up today and i didnt know if there were any known problems that he should be aware of or anything that he should address before it breaks, and I imagine that it wont be long before he too decides to convert to sumo. But Ill ask more about that another time.
thank

·
Registered
22 Posts
thats cool I have a KLX and love it.:clap:

KLX678 is right change the came chain tensioner

You can either get it from him or big bore thumpers

I have not sumo'ed mine yet. I will probably go with a 19 front instead of 17 though.. still trying to find out if the EBC brake kit will only work with a klx650r wheel and not the C

·
Registered
38 Posts
thats cool I have a KLX and love it.:clap:

KLX678 is right change the came chain tensioner

You can either get it from him or big bore thumpers

I have not sumo'ed mine yet. I will probably go with a 19 front instead of 17 though.. still trying to find out if the EBC brake kit will only work with a klx650r wheel and not the C
My site is kriegercamchaintensioners.com It isn't complete yet, the home page is junk for now. I plan to replace it with testimonials for the parts I make. Sold over 40 so far covering 14 states, the UK, Finland, Malaysia, Singapore, and Australia. Bikes range from the KLX to a Concours.

I am working on doing one for the DRz400 and have already done one for the DRz450 first gen. As I get calls for specials I make them for the same price. I just like the adventure of doing the stuff and I figure my mark up is adequate to cover my work so I'm significantly lower than the others.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I see how old this is, but the information I'm presenting is what we've experienced in the Yahoo KLX650 group.

Well, I have about 44,000 miles on my KLX650C. I did have to rebuild the topend when the SECOND cam chain tensioner failed at 15,000 miles. I have nearly 30,000 trouble free miles on the rebuilt top end. We put in a Vulcan 1500 piston, to displace 678cc. The compression allows pump gas, but pulls really stronger through the whole power band.

I now make manual tensioners for a variety of Kawasakis courtesy of my KLX and Zephyr. That is the one weak spot on the KLX650 - the "automatic" cam chain tensioner that junks out. I've sold about 40 of them to date. The kit is $30 if you don't already have a manual conversion. If you do, that's a plus. You should be good to go and trouble free. I also used a Dial-A-Jet to compensate for modifications and altitude changes. It's an enrichening circuit that does away with the need for rejetting. It worked on the stock engine and has compensated for the big bore, the BajaDesigns full reverse cone megaphone exhaust, and opening up the lid of the airbox. It also has worked from sea level at Daytona to about 5000 feet in the Appalachian Mountains without any adjustment.

When it comes to wheels, put the rear rim on the front since you need a wider rear rim to fit the tire you will want to put on it. You should use the stock 3" rear rim on the front for a 120/70-17 which will still be a bit big for that width rim, but will work. On the rear you likely want at least a 4.25 rim to fit a 140 or 150 tire. You can't go too big unless you shave the side of the tire or do some modifications. I'd stick with a 140/70-17 rear and a 110/70-17 front tire. They're wide enough and aren't overly costly.

For what it's worth, there is the Yahoo KLX650 group that is specific to the C and R models. I'm a moderator and the guys know their stuff. Feel free to come over and join if you haven't already.

And that service guy just apparently has never run into the KLX. I'd never seen one until my friend/mechanic at the dealership where I worked back in 98 showed me the service manual cover. I found one, traveling 250 miles one way to get it. Have never regretted it.
Hey my name is Ryan, I have a 1995 klx c and can’t find any rear rim. Is there another rear rim and hub I could use?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts