SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Go to hell!

Nah, I kind of agree. If you're on asphalt only, its roadracing. If its on a tight kart track, its roadracing with style!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Go to hell!

Nah, I kind of agree. If you're on asphalt only, its roadracing. If its on a tight kart track, its roadracing with style!

if you follow rowdy's logic, the only racing taking place on a kart track is kart racing, regardless of what you're riding/driving :D

·
Registered
364 Posts
- what does that make your "supermoto" bike... a kart on a kart track ???

- does that make your supermoto bike a cruiser if you are just "cruising" over the a friend's house ?

- what makes it "roadracing" .... No roads are involved, it is a track.

I see where you are coming from but not sure I follow completely with the logic....

You asked for it :D

·
Registered
204 Posts
I think its determined by the type of bikes.

Sportbike on dirt wouldn't be motocross but a sport bike on dirt.
Supermoto's on ice wouldn't make them snowmobiles, but supermoto's on ice.

Supermotos on a kart track, road track, the moon, and in the white house, are all supermotos, just location.

Location doesn't define your indentify. If i was born a texan and am proud of it.... put me in Maine, and I'm still a texan! (you're asking for it if you disagree)

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
street use was not covered in my original post, so i kinda dodged that one my996duc1.
if your on a kart track with no dirt, your riding your motorcycle on a kart track.

maybe i opened it up to much, but i dont know how someone can say they are racing or tracking and call it supermoto when there is no dirt.........??

you may be riding a supermoto bike, but your not riding supermoto....a subtle but telling difference....

·
Registered
271 Posts
you may be riding a supermoto bike, but your not riding supermoto....a subtle but telling difference....
+1:clap:

·
Registered
204 Posts
so by your argument you aren't riding supermoto when you obey traffic laws within reason, respect other drivers and riders by not doing hooliganish activity in trafficed areas, and backing it in on intersections? And also if you go get milk in your backpack on your bike, you aren't riding supermoto till you begin to race it and wheelie?

I don't agree (that is the point of the thread i guess).

I consider myself a sportbike rider right now, tarder at heart until i get my ktm, even on my 250. Even though my bike doesn't have clipons, i don't drag knee etc, its about the type of bike and general style of riding.

to summarize, if you say you only are riding supermoto when you are backing it in, etc, then to be a "responsible and safe" motard rider you can't really ride supermoto till you get on the track or almost abandoned backroads? I completely disagree for the sake of argument. If you see me commuting to work on my KTM 690 duke and I'm in the HOV lane, not wheeling, i would expect you to wave and respect me as a tard rider, not a cruising commuter. If i see a sportbike rider going under 80 mph, i don't think "poser, jump it up a notch", i think sportbike rider.

?

·
Registered
801 Posts
uhm, who cares? fun is fun right?

I cant stand people who get all anal about things that truly don't matter.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i didnt say supermoto was backing it in, wheeling or general hooliganism. i made it clear it had nothing to do with street riding at all. i didnt say you had to wear a mx helmet and ride foot out. i said none of that at all.

this is all about racing and track day descriptions and identification....based on the surfaces your riding on, or lack there of....

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
To be honest, I don't want to be lumped into any one category of riding.....even if it is as badass as supermoto. I ride all things two wheels...fifties, built fifties, supermoto, cruisers, pavement, dirt, gravel, whatever. If it has two wheels and a place to ride it, I'm there :thumbup: I see your point rowdy, but does that mean that the awesome supermoto paved track in Bulgaria I think it was with all the jumps and whoops that are also paved is not supermoto? It ain't roadracing....that's for sure.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
i didnt say supermoto was backing it in, wheeling or general hooliganism. i made it clear it had nothing to do with street riding at all. i didnt say you had to wear a mx helmet and ride foot out. i said none of that at all.

this is all about racing and track day descriptions and identification....based on the surfaces your riding on, or lack there of....
+1 on wondering if the ULTIMATE supermoto track in ballsgaria doesn't count as supermoto?

lets face it the reason supermoto still uses dirt is because that's the easiest way to include jumps into a track. If every supermoto track could be like this one, then nobody would use dirt.

edit: damn u hpi for stealing my point while i was searchin for the picture, now i look like a copier and i had to change my whole post. But its still a good point

·
Mullet Lord
3,302 Posts
HPIguy beat me to the punch with the Ballsgaria track. While I see your logic, I disagree. Supermoto entails an entirely different riding style than roadracing. Not all of us are fortunate enough to have tracks with dirt sections nearby, so we apply our leg out, rear wheel sliding style to any track we can ride. In fact, very few permanent tracks do have dirt sections and those without dirt generally want to keep it that way. I think that this is a very small bone to pick in terms of "supermoto" proper.

A bigger issue in my eyes is the "squidification", as I choose to call it, of supermoto. There has been a recent influx of squidly influence on both this site and the streets. The supermoto squid, by my definition, buys a DR-Z400SM or a WR250X (don't get me wrong, there are lots of fast guys who own and ride these bikes and you know who you are), covers it in cheesy vinyl graphics and paints a bunch of parts to match the graphics scheme. This type rides recklessly on the street, asks "how fast it will go" & "which is the loudest exhaust," and wouldn't dare try riding a track (despite portraying the "I'm a badass, I ride HARD" image). While most of us (myself included) would like to see the sport grow, these types seem to close the gap between the supermoto and sportbike crowds.

I'm sure I will upset a few members with this statement, but I'll go ahead and say it: I consider supermoto a sport, not so much a type of motorcycle. Much like motocross is a sport. Some will probably agree with me on this, and many probably won't.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the "if;then" logic of the paved bulgarian track would be that it is the 'jumps' that make a supermoto track, no matter what they are contructed of, rather than just the inclusion of dirt??

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
The Bulgaria track is NOT truly supermoto. It's a kart/roadrace track with jumps. It looks interesting, but supermoto is DEFINED as being somewhere around 70% road surface and 30% dirt. I don't even like the urban cross jumps in the AMA stuff!

I've hit the ground while backing into a corner and while going through a corner. That hurt enough! I can't even imagine crashing after landing from one of those or after getting knocked off in mid-air! (Watch the intro to this, from 2005 http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...supermoto+wisconsin&ei=3nBkSLaLH5SGrQKP9YD4Bw)

The addition of dirt means that there is an extra skill set involved. That's what Superbikers was all about, seeing who could adapt the easiest and best.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts