SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 3150 Posts

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd post my latest squid spotting. This one was here in lovely San Antonio, TX. Both my gay-dar and squid-dar went off when I saw this douche with the helmet mohawk and sneakers trying to be impressive with his little wheelie.

Has anyone else spotted squids this spring?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
i had a dude on a gixxer come up to me at a stop light...he was wearing shorts and a t shirt...while i was in full gear...and he asked why i was wearing full leathers...i just laughed at him and wished him luck.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Haha yes, what a scumbag :lol:

I don't really care what people wear as far as how much gear they have on.

A squid to me is the cocky inexperienced attitude, ripping in and out of traffic, bouncing off the rev limiter at lights combined with shitty power wheelies(like the picture you took) massive chicken strips, and generally no skill what so ever. They should be shot on site.

These people can be found riding your average GSXR,R6,CBR,ZX 600/1000 and usually sporting shit gear like Joe Rocket/Icon "racing" jackets with all the patches and ugly designs. They are usually wearing an Icon,Rocket,Scorpion or HJC lid with horrible cheap flashy graphics all over them and sometimes apply the cherry on top with an adhesive mohawk.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
The Great Street Squid

Taxonomy:
Via Architeuthis (The Great Street Squid)

Habitats:
Local bike shops, street corners, backroads (With no curves)

Coloring:
Bright, loud, obnoxious. Commonly the male of the species has multiple anodized bike parts that match the coloration of the rest of the bike. Colors may vary, but are generally offensive to the eye.

Locomotion:
Most often seen on a large bore bike with tires in poor condition. (In the center, the sides are most often unused.) Can be seen quickly accelerating in a straight line. This species seems to have great trouble with negotiating turns. Current theory seems to lean towards the possibility that the cognitive time/space abilities are not fully developed. Either that or a lack-o-skill. Tests are being done to fully explore the divergent theories.

Growth & Reproduction:
The growth of the male of the species seems to be arrested around the 12th year of life. This can be seen quite clearly when observing the critter in it's favorite habitat....a motorcycle speed shop. The obvious posturing and crowing are for the purposes of determining relative ranking within the pack. (Silimar to a wolf pack...only wolves don't squeak.)

Reproduction:
let's hope not.

Adaptations:
Customized flashy paintjobs on the vehicle of choice and helmet.
Race takeoff tires
The standard 'No Fear' decals to make said vehicle go faster. (Good for 10+mph)
No leather gear whatsoever
T-shirt & Shorts
Flip-Flops
Short lifespan

Feeding:
Fast food
High Octane gas

i had found a cool web page that i thought i shoulda posted up that said all that...it was a pretty funny page but this is all that i could find...

·
Registered
86 Posts

I don't really care what people wear as far as how much gear they have on.

A squid to me is the cocky inexperienced attitude, ripping in and out of traffic, bouncing off the rev limiter at lights combined with shitty power wheelies(like the picture you took) massive chicken strips, and generally no skill what so ever. They should be shot on site.

These people can be found riding your average GSXR,R6,CBR,ZX 600/1000 and usually sporting shit gear like Joe Rocket/Icon "racing" jackets with all the patches and ugly designs. They are usually wearing an Icon,Rocket,Scorpion or HJC lid with horrible cheap flashy graphics all over them and sometimes apply the cherry on top with an adhesive mohawk.

i like my cheap cheesy joe rocket helment... :hmmm:

·
Registered
762 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well I wouldn't be caught dead riding in one :hugs:
my other gear is legit, tech 7 supermoto boots, a cheaper tecnic set of leathers (i'm kinda a noob) and an clean alpine stars jacket.... i just love my cheesy good & evil helment i think its funny... i guess i need to start saving for my shoei lol :bannana:

·
Registered
762 Posts
my other gear is legit, tech 7 supermoto boots, a cheaper tecnic set of leathers (i'm kinda a noob) and an clean alpine stars jacket.... i just love my cheesy good & evil helment i think its funny... i guess i need to start saving for my shoei lol :bannana:
Haha, your gear is fine, quit making me looking bad ( oops I do that on my own). Its all a generalization.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
HAHA.....I really like my Scorpion VX-17 helmet too! To think I had a few sportbikes and did power wheelies on them about 10-12 years ago. I did, however, go to mall parking lots because I was ashamed if my back tire was not scrubbed to whole way out.....:D Now that I have seen the sumo light, I have become a muche better rider and can do much more on this bike than I ever could on my 600's. Hell, I even scrubbed the chicken strips off both the rear and the FRONT of my current Maxxis Goldspeeds:thumbup:

Someone posted this saying on here before: "You can ride your fast bike slow, But I can ride my slow bike fast!", and "Why not use the whole tire, instead of just the middle?"

As for the mohawks.......It just makes it easier to spot them from farther away!:nutkick:

·
Registered
685 Posts
Taxonomy: Via Architeuthis (The Great Street Squid)...
I like this . . . proper abuse of language.
The English language was intended to be abused as well as used [don't know about Norwegian though].

·
Registered
64 Posts

and sometimes apply the cherry on top with an adhesive mohawk.
What if you don't have an adhesive mohawk but have a real one under your helmet?:rolleyes2:

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've seen that video (nice BTW!), and it made me think of a squid criteria rather:

One is not a squid just because they do a wheelie, occasionally ride aggressively, wear obnoxious stuff, etc., however a bad street rider is someone who crashes - esp. a lot. You can crash on the track, in your practice parking lot, etc., and still not be a total a** but do us all a favor and keep your crashes out of the public eye:

That said, once someone (we've all done it) crashes on the road - you are a squid:
The ranking as follows (higher scores = more squidly):

+1pt for every car which must stop and slow down for your crash, +100 if the crash occurs at rush hour

+10pts for every buddy who you're riding with who now has to stop, and deal with the aftermath. +50 if your bike is no longer rideable, +500 for ambulance rides +1000 if you are unconscious.

+100 for every piece of gear not worn during a crash incident (on top of +500 for ambulance ride)

+10 for every dollar spent on replacing scraped bodywork
+500 if your first bike is a 600cc+ crotch rocket
+1000 if you ram it into someone else's property, +200 more if that property is a fixed object.

+25 for each spectator who encouraged you to attempt a stunt you've never practiced. +500 if it goes horribly wrong. -200 if you injure one of the spectators.

I'm sure you can come up with more...

I guess the overall point is that 'stunts' require skill and effort, and are therefore not in and of themselves squidly. Likewise, stunts by nature will require practice, and failing a stunt (given the correct venue) is not inherently squidly either (gotta learn somehow). however showing off - and worse still showing off poorly (i.e. leading to spectacular crash)...Now That is squidly.

Please keep in mind - no women and few men give 1/2 sh*t about how cool you are on your bike.

·
Hawk Baron
1,502 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Because they are are trying to APPEAR as though they take corners by buying tires with the chicken strips already gone.

·
Registered
794 Posts
But the chicken strips come back in as soon as 1 ride(altho the rolled up rubber will still be there, for the most part anyhoo).

Most like take offs just cause the center is still newish(=new tire to them).

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
But the chicken strips come back in as soon as 1 ride(altho the rolled up rubber will still be there, for the most part anyhoo).

Most like take offs just cause the center is still newish(=new tire to them).
very true, i have sold many many old nasty take-offs for this same very reason. Main selling point: look at all the tread in the middle, its practically new! Besides you gotta be like a pro to get that far leaned over! :lol:

·
Registered
276 Posts
he looks like one of the bunch that went flying by me on 35 near san marcos...all had the mohawks on their helmets and lane splitting. lame

1 - 20 of 3150 Posts