SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an 06 CRF 450 supermoto bike. My question is how much smaller should I go on the rear sprocket and how much bigger on the front. I will be riding the bike at Jennings GP which is a 2 mile sportbike track. The track has a top speed of about 130 or so on a sportbike.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Don't go much bigger than the 15 on the front. You'll start running into clearance issued with anything larger than that.

When I set my CRF up for the motard in Dallas, we used a 15/45. But the rider decided that was too fast, so we went back to the 14/45.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If this is a dedicated track bike for a roadrace course, the go as tall as possible. I have a 06 450X that's running 15/43. Nelson Ledges and Mid-Ohio are fast tracks and this works ok, but some fine tuning is needed. At Nelson I'm between gears on most of the turns and just ordered a 40t JT. Go with a steel sprocket, you'll really rack up the miles on a RR course. You didn't say if you have an X or R, any mods or running 17's. The R is hotter, but the X has the WR tranny. My X is opened up and rejeted. I'll go to the R cam next year for the best of both. Consider having the suspension revalved, the dirt set up wallows too much. Factory Connection did mine, very happy with it. Drop the triples 5mm and if you have bars w/o a crossbar try flipping them over and backwards. Takes a little getting used to, but puts you in the same position as clip-ons, but much cheaper, this really plants the front. Just don't get discouraged on the staights, because everything short of a Ninja 500 is gonna walk away from you, But the first time you rail outside of a Gixxer liter bike and see the riders helmet snap over to you, it's worth all the time and money and just laugh as he repasses you on the next straight. Anybody can go fast in a straight line.:laughingr

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If this is a dedicated track bike for a roadrace course, the go as tall as possible. I have a 06 450X that's running 15/43. Nelson Ledges and Mid-Ohio are fast tracks and this works ok, but some fine tuning is needed. At Nelson I'm between gears on most of the turns and just ordered a 40t JT. Go with a steel sprocket, you'll really rack up the miles on a RR course. You didn't say if you have an X or R, any mods or running 17's. The R is hotter, but the X has the WR tranny. My X is opened up and rejeted. I'll go to the R cam next year for the best of both. Consider having the suspension revalved, the dirt set up wallows too much. Factory Connection did mine, very happy with it. Drop the triples 5mm and if you have bars w/o a crossbar try flipping them over and backwards. Takes a little getting used to, but puts you in the same position as clip-ons, but much cheaper, this really plants the front. Just don't get discouraged on the staights, because everything short of a Ninja 500 is gonna walk away from you, But the first time you rail outside of a Gixxer liter bike and see the riders helmet snap over to you, it's worth all the time and money and just laugh as he repasses you on the next straight. Anybody can go fast in a straight line.:laughingr
Thanks for the info. To clarify, I have the 450 R and it will be a dedicated road course bike and it's already set up (16.5/17 rims, revalved Race Tech forks, Ohlins shock, offset triple clamps....). From what I have found on the Jennings GP forums is that I need 16/38 gearing. Does anybody know if I will have any clearance issues with the 16T front sprocket on this bike? Also, how should I set my sag for a road only course? Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
A 16t would be tight, never seen one mounted. Wouldn't be able to use a case saver, I had to grind down my Five-Ten to fit the 15. You'd also have to grind off the tab holding the swingarm chain guide in place. I also run a non o-ring chain so I didn't have to space out the c/s sprocket. The R shouldn't have trouble pulling 16/39 and with the CR tranny you'll need it. I'd set the sag same as for any other type of riding. Factory Connection said 105mm for my set-up. Don't let the street guys tell you 25-30, this what a STREET bike should be set at, you want 90-110. Don't let'em tell ya 30-32 psi either, I run 22 f/r(cold) in Bridgestones new supermoto slicks, like glue, but play with it and find out what works for your set-up. Good luck and keep posted if the 16 fits, but no case saver is quite a risk, you throw a chain at speed and it'll do some damage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts