SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need some help.....
a bit of history first
after years on nsr250's and nc30's and riding the wheels off the things keeping up with my gsxr owning mates i decided to chop them in for a "proper bike" with loads of bhp. after riding around on them for a couple of years i came across a cheap nc35 rvf400.
took it out at the weekend and i just cant beleive how much fun it was beating the bigger faster bikes so ive done the decent thing and sold the tl1000 and was looking at getting another supermoto.
ive owned a well tuned ktm640 and that was still a bit soft for my liking.
im looking at buying either a husaberg 650, aprilia 550 or a 500 2stroke.
i want to have a fighting chance of still beating some sportsbikes.
would you be able to gear an aprilia for 120 mph?
since its more powerfull and lighter than my nc35 i can only presume the aprilia would be faster?
thanks in advance

·
Registered
376 Posts
You could gear it that high if you really want to, dont really see the point though as you wont want to go that fast on a tard for any length of time. Rather take you sport bike mates to a twisty bit of tar and stick it to them with late braking and higher corner speed, its not hard to beat the sport bikes unless there are long straights between corners

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
It depends on the track. At my local road racing track (infineon) There are a few guys on motards (crf 450, husky smr) who commonly place in the top three in a class that allows sv 650s, inline 4 400cc bikes, and others. However there is basically no straight away, at the longer bigger tracks they dont do as well. I would say that if you want to hang with sportbikes on "normal" road racing tracks you would want more than one cylinder.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alot of the roads i ride are quite tight and twisty so i just need a fair turn of speed.
also cadwell park is just down the road (nice and tight race circuit)
do you think the aprilia would handle the higher speed runs better than the single cylinder bikes?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
scary sounds good to me!!
why is it scary? i had my 640 held flat out loads of times and it was more blustery than the sportsbike but didnt feel dangerous.
just been to the local dealer and they think it'll be ok ( but they are gonna say that).
i think what i really need to do is have a go on one but because of the type of bike it is they wont give me a go on one before i purchase. anyone wanna lend me one for a week!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
You should look into Aprilias fuel range, from what I hear , they have a very short range due to high fuel consumption and small tank, as low as 50 miles. I also heard from our dealer, that you will have to replace pistons and valves at 5K miles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
'Prilla's aren't designed to be held at that sort of speed and from the feedback I've had from a few mates,they will go bang-in a very expensive way!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you can buy a bigger fuel tank so thats one problem sorted and as the mileage of pistons etc as im gonna use it on sunny sundays and the odd trackday 5k miles would last me quite a while.
i dont really want a supersized supermoto either. i find it too easy to cruise everywhere at 120mph. i want to feel the proper sensation of speed again without going back to a large sportsbike either.
anyone gone proper sportbike baiting?
anyone had a husaberg, aprilia and 500 2stroke back to back? im not too concerned in the running costs, just whats the best bike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts