SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When someone sponsor's you with discounts....product....ect... what do you do in return for them?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Go Fast

If someone is sponsoring you it is because they want their brand or product to be associated with how you perform and conduct yourself, it is advertising for them so develop your skills as much as possible and be helpful and courteous to all fellow competitors and fans on and off the track.

Depending on the sponsor they may have additional requirements which they will surely tell you about.

I am not sponsored for but as a former semi professional athlete these were the things that were expected of me.

P.S it seems winning followed by a gratuitous shameless sponsor plug in the post race interview is the norm as well

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
As a formerly sponsored rider, I always felt it was my responsibility to, first and foremost, be a positive representative of their company. Other than the obvious mention of your sponsors when you get the chance and keeping the sponsor informed of your results (no matter what they are), the rider has to present a good image to everyone around.

When I was racing and was sponsored, I even made sure that I wore my sponsor's gear when I was teaching dirt bike classes.

·
Registered
8,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are on the right track MXCAT!

I currently have about 100 contracted riders. 99% take the discount on product and I do not hear from them again.......till next year when they want more. :damn:

No updates .....No progress reports. :headshake

With that said...... I have 3 riders.....2 Canadian Supermoto riders Adam Jambouri & Emmerson Connor & Freestyle rider Paul Smith who send at least monthly reports with where they have been and what happened. Adam Jambouri & Emmerson Connor are 2 of the nicest riders you will ever meet with great parents. In my book they are up there with Travis Pastranna! The funny thing is........ I do not even have an official signed contract with either of them!

I do not know how much they promote my products to potential customers for me but....... I suspect they are giving 1000% more effort than the others. In return...... they NOW get FREE product from me....... and I give NO ONE FREE PRODUCT till this!

So again.....what do you do for your sponsors??? Or as Dr Phil would say.......hows that working for you?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Our Way

My son has recieved sponsorship help from some local companies and some national ones thru Sponsorhouse.com. We always made it a point to keep his MX bikes clean and the sponsor decals visible. We told friends in the pits and anyone online in MX forums of our positive experiences with sponsors products. We made it a point to visit local sponsors at least each quarter, and offered to pass out sale fliers or business cards at local races and to run their banners on our EZ-UP. For national out of state sponsors we tried to update them and say thank you several times thruout the year. My wife also volunteered to medic at many local races, and thru her treating of other injured racers we met a number of other parents and we always tried to present a respectful and professional manner. We stressed to our son that sponsors expect their riders to advertise the product in a responsible manner.

·
Banned
531 Posts
Isn't there some kind of NASCAR winners circle protocol verbiage hat trick formula on the web that you could stipulate in the contract? :lol:

·
Registered
516 Posts
I am sponsored for BMX racing. Basically, I am required to wear a Jersey at all races and make it so far in the season. In return, I get swag, contingency money, and free product.

·
Registered
740 Posts
With that said...... I have 3 riders.....2 Canadian Supermoto riders Adam Jambouri & Emmerson Connor & Freestyle rider Paul Smith who send at least monthly reports with where they have been and what happened.

This is exactly how it should be. I try to talk to the people that help me out once every two weeks. I tell them how the last race went, when the next race is and ask them what I can do to help further their company. Additionally, I try to inform people at the races and elsewhere about their products and why I use them. I feel very fortunate to have what I do and I try to show that everywhere I go. Having and developing "people skills" helps too! I also try to get my sponsors out to the races as much as I can and also try to practice and ride with them so they not only have a better understanding of the type of riding (for r&d purposes) but to help further the sport too. But, ultimately, the biggest thing for their investment is a return in sales and when I talk about their products I talk about it in a very utilitarian way. "I love xxx product because it works. Let me show you how it works and why I use it..." etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts