SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was tearing town my 09 510 for a valve check tomorrow afternoon when arriving home from work. To make a long story short, the spark plug wire pulled out from the boot because I went about doing this wrong of corse since this is the first time, not knowing the proper way. The part the wire was connected to remains on the plug which is not coming off very easy so I just walked away to chill out for a while until going back out to my garage. So if anyone can tell me how fackered I am and what needs to be done to save myself it would be awesome.

Thank you

Tim

·
Registered
849 Posts
Oh man, we've all done something similar at some point, no big deal!

Well, your stock plug cap/HT lead will be useless but for next to no money you could get a Taylor Lead or similar. Years ago the HT lead was a screw onto the coil job, not sure how they're fixed on the 510's, not really looked at mine? If you can unwind the HT lead off of the coil then you can wind a new lead/cap back on :thumbup:

http://www.biketuna.co.uk/index.php...ducts_id=323&zenid=4gm6kku898mfddfhg95mosnuf1

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Plug wires are usually just screwed into the coil and then the plug cap is just screwed onto the end of the wire. pretty simple deal......

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Plug wires are usually just screwed into the coil and then the plug cap is just screwed onto the end of the wire. pretty simple deal......
Found a thread saying something about screwing on but there was not much detail to say this was correct. Was thinking when first looking at everything that is how is went together, not a very strong connection. Now the question is how to pull what is connected to top of plug off so the plug wire can be put back on.

Thank you moto66 for the idea

·
Registered
849 Posts
Found a thread saying something about screwing on but there was not much detail to say this was correct. Was thinking when first looking at everything that is how is went together, not a very strong connection. Now the question is how to pull what is connected to top of plug off so the plug wire can be put back on.

Thank you moto66 for the idea
Again, can't say I've really looked at it, but I think, the HT lead may be moulded into the plug cap top? If so you'll really need a new cap with a lead attached. Then the other bare end of the HT lead just screws into the coil body connection. You've done nothing major, just maybe trashed a cheap plug cap.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not very worried at this point to be honest, will be all fix and ready to raise heck by weeks end. Going to run a wire harness for radar detector while bike is apart this evening, less chances of getting pulled over..LoL!

·
Registered
849 Posts
Hey, if you get a radar scanner hooked up let's see it :coffee:

If you get a new lead with cap you get a choice of lead colours too as a bonus :D

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will shoot a few pics of the radar detector when it is all buttoned up and looking pretty. I was liking the different color choices for the lead:thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts