SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made believers out of a few guys this sunday, i was toying with them pretty much going half throttle just so i could pass them on the inside. you guys know the story. They talk trash about my "dirtbike" and you ask them if they wanna go hit some twistys and then they pretty much say nothing after except holy shit. haha so lets hear your best story about Gsxr R1 kills.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It is the best. I am 40 years old, 6'2", and 275lbs. I love to just mess with the squids in the local canyons. When they finally get to the top, they ussually come over and ask me wtf I am riding.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah, i have an R6 that i race at Miller and a 690 SM for the street. the first time i had it out looking for people to ride with, some of them complained about "having to wait for the dirtbiker". They argued about it for about 5 minutes while i smiled. finally i stepped in and offered that if any of them had to wait for me at the top of the canyon, I'd never try to ride with them again. I got to the top, helmet/gloves/jacket off, kick stand down, enjoying the peace and quiet when 6 of them came screaming to a halt next to me. they thought i was a god and asked me for tips. i put my gear back on and just before i started 'er up, told them "trade in your toys for a real bike". haha, i obviously wasn't worried about them catching me, and they were a bunch of squids anyway, so i haven't ridden with them since. i don't even think they get together anymore. i ride with a few sporties that are actually cool and can almost hang with the 'tard.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah, i have an R6 that i race at Miller and a 690 SM for the street. the first time i had it out looking for people to ride with, some of them complained about "having to wait for the dirtbiker". They argued about it for about 5 minutes while i smiled. finally i stepped in and offered that if any of them had to wait for me at the top of the canyon, I'd never try to ride with them again. I got to the top, helmet/gloves/jacket off, kick stand down, enjoying the peace and quiet when 6 of them came screaming to a halt next to me. they thought i was a god and asked me for tips. i put my gear back on and just before i started 'er up, told them "trade in your toys for a real bike". haha, i obviously wasn't worried about them catching me, and they were a bunch of squids anyway, so i haven't ridden with them since. i don't even think they get together anymore. i ride with a few sporties that are actually cool and can almost hang with the 'tard.
Welp, personally I'm new to the whole Motard lifestyle. I currently ride a Yamaha R1 and have the same issue you have outlined with most other street "riders". Most all of them seem to be able to ride in straight lines really, really well. I tend to leave everyone far behind when we hit corners. I can't wait to see what I can do when I get a good motard setup and start rockin that full time.

I think the important thing to keep in mind is that 80+% of the people riding street bikes haven't a clue on how to ride them. I was talking with a group of randoms the other day and none of them knew what I was talking about when I said "feelers"...

·
Registered
271 Posts
Hahaha...I like this thread... Last year I took my bike up to Utah to watch the Sumo races at Miller and the next day I was with my friend who has a R6. We decided to hit some of the mountain ski resort roads up by Snowbasin. We were riding up Old Snowbasin road(an old 2 lane access road up to the resort). I had never rode on this road before and it was his idea to hit it. I was following him close behind in the twistys about halfway up I get the old wave around by him...so I pass him...cruz it the rest of the way up not hitting it too hard because I've never rode on this road before so I was being careful. When I got to the top and looked back he was no where around...so I waited a few...I thought something might of happened to him so I started my bike and was about to head back down when I see him coming around the last corner...he drove past me up to the resort and needless to say he was pissed!! Here is a picture right after we parked the bikes...He doesn't look to happy does he!? I keep telling him to get a real bike!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
You guys can delude yourself into thinking your SMs are faster or you are so much faster, but it simply sounds like you are riding with really slow people, or you're riding through some gravel ridden switchbacks where sportbikes don't do well.

Get out there with some Nesba 'A' or even 'I' folks and you will find that 600SS or pretty much any bike can go as fast as you can - not because SMs are slower, but because it's all about the rider. Plus, on the street, it's also about how many risks you want to take. If you are passing people 'on the inside', then you're the risk taking squid, and I would let you go by and keep my distance from you as well.

Basically, to some extent my point is that the trully fast people usually don't brag about passing anyone because it's meaningless and they don't need any ego boost, especially when you're talking about random people who probably have minimal riding experience.

·
Registered
681 Posts
You guys can delude yourself into thinking your SMs are faster or you are so much faster, but it simply sounds like you are riding with really slow people, or you're riding through some gravel ridden switchbacks where sportbikes don't do well.

Get out there with some Nesba 'A' or even 'I' folks and you will find that 600SS or pretty much any bike can go as fast as you can - not because SMs are slower, but because it's all about the rider. Plus, on the street, it's also about how many risks you want to take. If you are passing people 'on the inside', then you're the risk taking squid, and I would let you go by and keep my distance from you as well.

Basically, to some extent my point is that the trully fast people usually don't brag about passing anyone because it's meaningless and they don't need any ego boost, especially when you're talking about random people who probably have minimal riding experience.

please sir, do us and the rest of the world a favor. back away from the computer, pull your panties down and untie that knot, then sit back down and realize how much of a whiner that post makes you look like.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
:Funny::laughingr

·
Registered
5 Posts
yeah no sh!ot, when it comes to certain twisties, i would argue to the grave that a SM handles better than a sporty. yes, most of it is about the rider. as i mentioned in my post though, the guys WERE squids.....so i don't take much pride in it, other than hopefully sitting on their "cool guy" ego. If you were to put taller, wider bars on your sporty, and take her to the gym to lose about 100 lbs, you would know what it feels like to own 90 degree corners and tight twisties. oh yeah, the road i was riding is one of the only fun motorcycle roads in the area, i see harleys on it all the time, and we all know they DON'T ride on "gravel ridden switchbacks". oh crap, i should have said that i don't like passing people on the inside because they usually panic, so i pass them on the outside of corners where i can see all the way through past the exit. i'm not in it to die, but they were holding me up at 80%. why are you on a SM forum if you would rather argue in favor of sporties?

·
Registered
271 Posts
please sir, do us and the rest of the world a favor. back away from the computer, pull your panties down and untie that knot, then sit back down and realize how much of a whiner that post makes you look like.
:Funny: ++1

Hey Witold...Please do us a favor and get off the SMJ site and go troll around the sportbikersquids.com where you belong!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
why are you on a SM forum if you would rather argue in favor of sporties?
I'm not arguing in favor of anything. I don't really care what other people ride. As long as they're enjoying themselves, it's cool with me. You can read my post for what it is... to me, people who 'spank' this bike and blow by that bike, and out accelerate X, sound like they're 12 years old on a rice forum and I just don't understand why they are trying to use others as the measuring stick for themselves. That is all. :thumbup:

·
Registered
197 Posts
It's because far too many sportbike riders talk smack about how slow sumos are. ;)

·
Registered
271 Posts
...and it's too much fun to see the look on their face when they realize that a dirt bike was able to ride faster then them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Witold makes a good point about "better" riders, some guys seem to go fast on any bike they get on and it dosen't matter what you're riding. The only chance you have of smoking them is to pull off their plug wire as they go by.

The great thing about riding an SM is that most sportbike riders have the opinion that we ride some slow converted dirtbike, and that they are naturally going to kick butt. It's really damaging to their ego when the "inferior" bike blows them away, not realizing how most SM guys are really into riding and have highly developed skills.

Today's SM guys are like the '60s and 70's car guys with a blown V8 in their chevy station wagon - smoking the unaware and grinning all the way to the finish line. It's definitely rewarding to put the cocky squids down. LOL.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I have to agree with Witold. Ultimately it boils to to the rider,not the bike, with the

exception that on the street it has a lot to do with the risks someone

is willing to take. These days if someone gets within 50ft of me I

wave them by. And "winning" a street race just shows you're more retardeder. :D

Read it, Live it.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/flashback/122_0911_the_pace_nick_ienatsch/index.html

For instance, I don't go to Deals Gap anymore, but when I did my goal was to never touch the brakes. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,971 Posts

ill second that, ask azizavfr or Johnsba on here about a crazy guy on his gixer 1k... he blew up our local twisties so fast we (of whom arent slow) were amazed, at least i was... and there is this guy on a bmw k1200 i ride with on occasion pass me on random occasions on dirt shoulders... yeah he's been riding for 40 years and aint so squid. I thought yeah im on a motard, these guys on sporties are slow... well wait till ya get your ass handed to ya on your own stomping grounds by a vet on a 500lb bike.

Kysar- awesome story man!! that is funny... "get a real bike ya squids" hahahah:clap::clap:

·
Registered
1,397 Posts

:clap:
good post

·
Registered
12 Posts
yeah no sh!ot, when it comes to certain twisties, i would argue to the grave that a SM handles better than a sporty. yes, most of it is about the rider. as i mentioned in my post though, the guys WERE squids.....so i don't take much pride in it, other than hopefully sitting on their "cool guy" ego. If you were to put taller, wider bars on your sporty, and take her to the gym to lose about 100 lbs, you would know what it feels like to own 90 degree corners and tight twisties. oh yeah, the road i was riding is one of the only fun motorcycle roads in the area, i see harleys on it all the time, and we all know they DON'T ride on "gravel ridden switchbacks". oh crap, i should have said that i don't like passing people on the inside because they usually panic, so i pass them on the outside of corners where i can see all the way through past the exit. i'm not in it to die, but they were holding me up at 80%. why are you on a SM forum if you would rather argue in favor of sporties?
lol, is that somekind of crazy racism of bike types? bikism? lol

Harley guys hate sport bikes right? lol

I'm really, really in to the idea of making and riding a motard, however I will never ever give up my street bikes... I love the power, the handling and the over all fun factor, but I'm at the same time excited to see what motards have in store for me. However as fun as the motards sound I really dont ever expect to be diving in to a 60 mph bank on the highway at 170 on a motard. Sure you're not going to be doing that everday, but when the stretch of road your on is empty and you have the ability, why not?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
some of them complained about "having to wait for the dirtbiker". They argued about it for about 5 minutes while i smiled. finally i stepped in and offered that if any of them had to wait for me at the top of the canyon, I'd never try to ride with them again. I got to the top, helmet/gloves/jacket off, kick stand down, enjoying the peace and quiet when 6 of them came screaming to a halt next to me. they thought i was a god and asked me for tips. i put my gear back on and just before i started 'er up, told them "trade in your toys for a real bike". haha, i obviously wasn't worried about them catching me, and they were a bunch of squids anyway, so i haven't ridden with them since.
Ironic your bet was to not ride with them if you were slow and the end result was they were slow so you won't ride with them. :)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts