SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i know theres other posts on here about this, i ve read most of them. But cant you just throw some washers behind the rear sprocket? my chain rubs pretty bad and im running out of patience and money for my 560smr conversion.. help please!

·
Registered
157 Posts
How bad is the rub? Did you try the easy stuff non o ring chain, diff. size spacers etc?

·
Registered
642 Posts
I made a spacer for my 07 wr450 . it's like 5/16 think and self centering because in rides on the sprocket landing on the hub and it has a landing milled on it . it was still not enough to stop the slapping. I got a graves chain block and switched back to a o-ring to solve my issues

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
What's up brother goose! I would not trust the washer idea, instead the only safe way is to off-set the hub from the rim. Simply loosen all the spoke nipples on the side of the rim that has the rub and tighten the opposing ones the exact amount of turns. I usually start with 1/4 turns cuz it's easy to gauge a 90deg spin with the spoke wrench.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
sure you can put some washers behind the rear sprocket........but you must equally space the front sprocket also

·
The Mod Squad
2,613 Posts
sure you can put some washers behind the rear sprocket........but you must equally space the front sprocket also

YUP, you can do it to the rear. Be sure to use high strenght bolts as the shear stress will increase. And you will pass a point of no return in where the chain will self derail off the sprocket unless you offset the countersprocket. And expect chian life to be reduced.

It is do-able.

·
Registered
111 Posts
In the weekly Motorcycle paper Cycle News, look in the back of the paper in the advertising section.

There is a company that sells off set sprockets in different widths made just to fix your problem for sumo's.

Any good motorcycle shop will have these newspapers sitting around free, just ask.

You might find them on line also.

Cycle News

SIRR1

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmm ya it already has a non oring chain, and i havent tried the spoke idea, sounds like i could fuck that up! hmm i might have to try that tho

·
Registered
648 Posts
just loosen all the left side spokes exactly 1/4 turn, then tighten all the right side spokes 1/4 turn - that way everything stays the same relatively - you won't screw up if you do it that way. if that's not enough, repeat the process doing only 1/4 turn at a time. if you get to the point where the tire is getting to close to the right side of the swingarm and you still need clearance - go to www.launchzone.ca and order a sprocket spacer kit - don't go the cheap ass washer route and end up really screwing things up if it fails.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok i might try that, seems like the only route. My tire is a 160/60 my old slick was a 155/55 and only rubbed when it slapped.. with the new tire it rests on the tire

·
Registered
66 Posts
Like CRF 69 said you must set your front equally or your tracking will be off. Kinda like this __ ---- instead of this --- ---. The wheels on your bike should be set to run a straight , racers spend a lot of time getting everything lined up a straight as possible. Less friction more speed. I'm not sure what the attraction is to have a such a big rear tire that you throw off everything else on your bike. It can be done but you are sacrificing in other areas.

·
Registered
364 Posts
just shave off the edge of the tire.
I used a dremel before I learned a better way is to use a wood plane and dish soap.

Good Luck :thumbup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts