SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had my eye on the 08 sm450r and sm510r for a bit. Mostly the 450 though. But i'd like to know what i'm getting myself into first.

How often do you guys change your oil? Adjust/check your valves? Do ANY other maintanence on your bike? Including anything spark plug/air filter/chain related.

I just want to know if either of these two bikes will be good enough to ride daily without also changing the oily daily ;). I don't mind weekly, as I think it would be worth it. Its going to be my first supermoto bike, but not my first bike. I think I'd get bored too quickly with a drz400 so i want something in the performance 400-500.

Thanks in advance. Safe riding. :thumbup:

·
Registered
163 Posts
450 and 510s = oil and valves at 600 miles.

610 = oil and valves at 3000.

If you are going to ride it daily the 610 is the smart choice. Weekly oil changes will fast become a chore. There are a few filters on these things.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I have roadraced a 450 for 3 seasons without a single failure. I change the oil after each weekend. I change the paper filter every weekend. Roadracing is the most abusive form of racing for high engine revs. The other filters are screens that I wash out every other weekend. I wash em with aresol brake cleaner. Including safety wiring it takes about 10 minutes. I have never found clutch debris in the screen. All motards should be done more frequently than most other bikes cause their in a higher compression ratio state of tune. Read it as race ready. Plus: Only just over a quart of oil and tons of ground clearance makes it very easy to do. Hint: Buy a case of oil and say 5 filters to last a season. The valve clearance got checked twice and they were dead-on. My bike has only been back to the shop once cause I put a Fast by Feracci exhaust on so I had them dyno it to check the jetting. I changed the jetting myself when I changed the exhaust and it was spot on. Husqvarna makes the bike with the goodies(suspension,brakes,maguri controls) already on the bike so setup for racing isn't a change everything proposition. 450 vs 610. For racing the light weight is the deciding factor. And a smaller piston at higher revs is better. 450 vs 510. Street riding a 510 cause of the torque in the lower rev range. Never for a minute think any motard is a highway bike. No matter which one you choose you are gonna have a blast!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was wondering the exact same questions. Ill be using my bike as a daily, and I heard neither the SM450/510 are good for daily bikes.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Me and a couple of my friends use our 510`s daily as killer duel sport bikes. I change my oil every 1000 miles and check the valves every 2000 miles. Oil changes are super easy and valve checks take 30 mins. We both have only adjusted the valves once. My 510 has 9000 miles and my friend has 12,000 miles on his. My only problem was a water pump seal that was pinched when assembled at the factory which i replaced at 500 miles. I have seen a bunch of TE 510`s and 450`s with well over 10,000 dirt miles, these bikes are tough!

If you planning on racing these bikes you should plan on more frequent oil and valve checks. They are sold in Europe as DS bikes with oil change interval of 5000 km.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Some great first hand feedback on the longevity issue there John. And just a second confirmation that access for checking and adjusting the valves is by far the easiest of any bike I have ever owned PERIOD! This includes screw style adjusters. Yes the head on the Husky is THAT easy to check and change if needed. The only issue is removing and measuring the shims and then finding a way to get to the shop to swap or buy the one you need. Another hint. The shims are the same diameter and thickness range as those used by Kawasaki Vulcan 800's and 900's and I'm sure many other bikes.

A standard I use when I drain my oil is I like to see it come out no more than dark brown with some transparency to it still. If it comes out blackish or opaque where you can't easily see some light coming through the drain stream then it's been in there a little too long for my tastes.

The 450 and 510 only hold 1.3 liters. Also it's a pain to check the level if they still have the old high line drain screw as the only way to check it. These bikes really need a sight glass or dipstick. I can't remember but I think the new ones have this or are they still using that stupid screw?

Given the small amount of oil involved I'm probably see the oil reach my personal condition limit after about 500 to 600 miles. I just can't see them going to 5000 kms with that small an amount of oil. Unless John can confirm that it still comes out at less than the color limits at his 1000 mile point. I've only done track days so far and I change the oil every second day and do the filters every second oil change so the filters go 4 track days for me. So far the oil comes out only barely darker than it went in and the mesh filters never have more than a couple of spots in them once I got past the rather mettalic brake in period where I thought the engine was chewing its own kidney. However that's apparently normal for these engines and it goes away after the breakin.

Valve and the top end don't seem nearly as fragile as the service manual suggests and part of why I bought mine is the same stories about toughness and longevity as John found. Four years back it was still the same thing. The forums were full of stories about folks having fun and doing mods for personal reasons rather than "fixing" things. Meanwhile the other brands all seemed to have the posts concerned with various failures and issues. That made my choice pretty easy and I've never regretted it for a second.

The 510 is more torquey and likes to be short shifted before you bounce it off the limiter. It actually pulls harder through the gears when you do it that way. The 450 likes to rev and gets the best performance when you kiss the limiter or just catch it before. The 450 fits the racing classes better. The 510 shakes like a paint mixer at racing pace and seems to throb at pit cruising speeds. I can't say what the 450 is like since I have not ridden one yet. They are incredably fun bikes to ride but I think the narrow, hard and sharp edged saddle combined with the bar, peg and seat vibes would get a little old on longer rides really quickly. But for up to maybe an hour at a time or if you're in an area you can play more then you'd be in for a heap of fun.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Not on an 04 with no filter change. Unless you're leaving it on the side stand and it has to have that much to pour out. The book said it had to be upright and level on its wheels.

·
Registered
444 Posts
When i change the oil I always remove the magnito cover because atleast a few ounces of oil gets trapped in there. Its also a good idea to wipe the flywheel down to remove any particles. Once i get all the oil out and clean the filters I refill the bike with 2 full quarts of oil. (I know the manual says add 1.8 L of oil, but there is atleast another fews ounces of oil in the mag. cover)

I think the oil still looks perfect at 1000 miles when i changed it. The bike has 1 paper filter and then 3 additional screen filters so i think the filtration system is designed very well.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have an '07 TE510 with a set of SM wheels and it is the toughest and easiest bike to work on that I have owned and bar far the funnest to ride in the right circumstances. Not my first choice for highway droning to and from work but for track days, blasting around town, general hooliganism and the odd SM race, it can't be beat. Beauty of the TE with the SM wheels is that I can swap the wheels and within an hr be ready for a dirt race too! :thumbup:

Bike kicks ass! :bowdown:

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
My sister's got a GREAT personality. Oh, wait. you were talking about motorcycles. NM :lol:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had a TC450 last year, same engine as the SM series. Amazing power, much easier service intervals and ease of getting work done than any japanese bike. I changed my oil every 4 hours of riding, but that was high revs most of the time in the dirt. Air filter every 8 hours, again dirt and lots of dust. Valves never needed adjustment but I did check them.

I'll be adding a smr510 to the stable soon, EFI is going to be nice. I have a TE250 as well with EFI and I'm never going back to carbs.

Scotts makes a nice stainless oil filter for the huskies. Good purchase. I refill with 1700cc 10w60 if I empty out the filter too.

Best bikes on the market as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Can anybody compare / contrast a 510 v 610? I am shopping and was pretty much set on a new 610 as it's a little lower state of tune, heavier, better street mount with less frequent service requirements, but what about seat of the pants feel? Anyone ridden or own both and can give some feedback?

Why was Ferraci's closed today - I was all set to go shopping :headscrat

Thanks
Brian

·
Registered
50 Posts
Check out some of the old posts too. They help. I'm actually looking into the 450RR. I don't know if I'm ready to ditch my SXV yet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts