SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to go to Summit point July 29, I'm trying to get the bike and gear ready so that I don't get up there and not pass inspection. Just a few questions.

What is hard back protector? Is the foam pad in the back of my Joe rocket jacket going to work, it has elbow, back, shoulders and forearm protection, its leather. I have moto x pants.

I know I need to wire the rad. cap (how?), anything else (what)? But, what kind of coolant do I put in to pass inspection? Any picks of a container you guys are using.

If I run all the hoses into the airbox is that ok?

I know I'm forgetting something maybe I will remember.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
167 Posts
The foam pad in your jacket isn't a hard back protecter. They are referring to something like this:

http://www.revzilla.com/product_images/0016/1146/dainese_wave_back_protector2.png_zoom.jpg

As for safety wiring the radiator cap, it's pretty simple. Here is a pretty good guide:

http://www.sportrider.com/suspension_settings/hands_on/146_0002_safety_wiring_techniques/index.html

You don't need to wire every single fastener on your bike, but wiring the oil drain plug, oil fill cap, and the radiator cap is recommended.

For coolant, drain your coolant and refill with a mix of water and water wetter. Don't be the guy that crashes and drops all that slippery coolant on the asphalt.

As for a catch can, I can pretty much bet that running all the hoses into the airbox won't suffice. I'm sure one of the guys with more experience in this area than I will chime in.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Last year I had many of the same questions before I went to the August track day at Summit Point.

I showed up late, about 11am and I am an old fart so the tech inspection might have been lenient.
*Hard back protector: was not checked, I had a hard one in the truck though. My jacket, like yours has a soft back protector and elbow and shoulder protection.
*Radiator cap: I didn't hear about that, but I was running Engine Ice, they didn't check.
*Hoses into air box: Don't know. I had all hoses from the carb and the fuel vent going into a can. Most other's were more Disneyesque [Mickey Moused] than mine which I was rather ashamed of.
*Forgetting?: I got away with not having my oil filler cap wired, but was warned. They checked my boots and kickstand wiring, throttle return spring, kill switch and several other things I now forget.

I don't think you will have a problem if you make a good faith attempt to meet their rules.
Last years requirements: http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?104903-Summit-Point-WV.-Supermoto-Trackday.-AUG-20
Like I said I may have gotten away with stuff because I am old [60 at the time] and reminded them of their dads or some such malarkey. I had a great time, first time on a track, and everybody was super nice. However the pavement reminded me of lubricated Teflon, slick.
Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
309 Posts
All the tracks I have been to allowed me to just put rtv on the oil fill and drain plugs.
Most of the time engine ice is acceptable, but usually just ask what you are running but don't check it.

As for gear, I use the a-star bionic armor, mx pants and tech 10's.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was at the local shop this morning and looking at the engine ice it says that many ama champions blah blah blah use it. I might just see if I can find some water wetter and go that route.

Still have to wire the DRZ, put on the axle sliders and order a back protector, and maybe some knee pads since I only have moto x pants.

Anyone have any pics of there DRZ wired for fluid containment?

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
replace glycol based a/f with water + water wetter

safety wire on drz: both oil drain plugs, 3 bolts that hold the oil filter, oil filler cap, and Coolant cap

stock coolant overflow is fine

Need catch can to run all carb overflow lines to it....be sure to also run a vent line from the catch can up above the carb for proper venting and prevent vapor lock

tape over or remove all lights (headlight, turn signals, brake lights, etc.

Remove all mirrors.

Numbers on sides and front of bike.

Gear at Summit Point: the main thing is, they don't want anybody to get hurt as a result of lackluster gear. If you wear what you have, they will be cool with that. Street riding boots/low sportbike boots are ok as long as they cover the ankles. Any riding jacket with a back pad in it is fine for tech, a designated hard back protector is better in case of a go down.

Rule of thumb "DRESS TO CRASH!"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts