SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I just wanted to do a quick write up for those of you who are running those 17" wheels and want to keep the factory speedo on there xr650l and have it read accuratly. I will give you guys a brief description on what you will need to do this and tell you it will require some machining. I did alot of searching on the net trying to fiind the solution but at the time no one had the answer to this or at least not that I found. With the 17's the speedo will read about 7-10 mph fast and it will also add just over 1 tenth of a mile for every mile you go so in ten actuall miles your odo will read 11 miles. I know I know why not goto one of those digital speedos I dont know I just like the stock speedo look and having the instrument lights still there. If there is any intrest from any of you on doing this let me know I can guide you thru it or I could probably set you up with one to were all you had to do is pull the axle and swap it out.

1. Honda part# 44800-kfb-941 (box assembly) you will need this hole piece not just the plastic gear

2. A lathe to do the machining

3. A special holder which will hold the piece while machining

4. A 17'' wheel that accepts the stock style speedo drive

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it doesnt take much machining but it is a pain to hold on to it one mistake while machining would cost you 33 dollars and shipping! so I had to make a piece just to hold it and get it centered in the lathe. You just have to machine it to accept the larger 650l axle. The gear assembly was acctually from a crf230m which has the 17's on it. if enough people were intrested I would see about buying some and machining them up myself and selling them might be able to get them cheaper if I bought more and I would probably machine them for about 10-15 bucks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Calling all 650L riders with stock speedo
Realbigman you in
I would like to also have this done

can this be milled? or dare i say it Dremel ?

I will buy the box assy, if you could machine it, $15.00 for your labor plus a gift card to BEVERAGES and MORE... that is if you enjoy certain beverages???:clap:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Always love any beverages! I thought about milling it but I could not hold it to get it centered enough. The fit on it could be a little sloppy my dad made fun of me for taking the time to make a special holder to hold it and get it squared and centered he said any ******* would have just drilled the dam thing and been done. Since iv got a small machine shop i figured I would get some use out of it and do it right instead of junking a 33 dollar part. I would think that it would wobble and float around in there if the hole was to sloppy so best to get a good fit. About .070 of an inch needs to be removed or just over a 1\16

if enough people were intrested in this I would call the place up and see if I could get any better of a deal on multiples of them and just have them shipped here machine them up and ship them out to you guys.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hey I just wanted to do a quick write up for those of you who are running those 17" wheels and want to keep the factory speedo on there xr650l and have it read accuratly. I will give you guys a brief description on what you will need to do this and tell you it will require some machining. I did alot of searching on the net trying to fiind the solution but at the time no one had the answer to this or at least not that I found. With the 17's the speedo will read about 7-10 mph fast and it will also add just over 1 tenth of a mile for every mile you go so in ten actuall miles your odo will read 11 miles. I know I know why not goto one of those digital speedos I dont know I just like the stock speedo look and having the instrument lights still there. If there is any intrest from any of you on doing this let me know I can guide you thru it or I could probably set you up with one to were all you had to do is pull the axle and swap it out.

1. Honda part# 44800-kfb-941 (box assembly) you will need this hole piece not just the plastic gear

2. A lathe to do the machining

3. A special holder which will hold the piece while machining

4. A 17'' wheel that accepts the stock style speedo drive
Great News Hotrod, awesome awesome. NICE bikes
i will be useing a Stock Honda front Hub, with a 17" rim...
tell us more:bannana: how much machining
Calling all 650L riders with stock speedo
Realbigman you in
I would like to also have this done

can this be milled? or dare i say it Dremel ?

I will buy the box assy, if you could machine it, $15.00 for your labor plus a gift card to BEVERAGES and MORE... that is if you enjoy certain beverages???:clap:
Always love any beverages! I thought about milling it but I could not hold it to get it centered enough. The fit on it could be a little sloppy my dad made fun of me for taking the time to make a special holder to hold it and get it squared and centered he said any ******* would have just drilled the dam thing and been done. Since iv got a small machine shop i figured I would get some use out of it and do it right instead of junking a 33 dollar part. I would think that it would wobble and float around in there if the hole was to sloppy so best to get a good fit. About .070 of an inch needs to be removed or just over a 1\16

if enough people were intrested in this I would call the place up and see if I could get any better of a deal on multiples of them and just have them shipped here machine them up and ship them out to you guys.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

:bannana::bannana::bannana:

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

IN

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey I took some pics tonight but forgot to bring home the camera. I took some of how I set it up to machine it and the special tool I made up and I also took some of my hubs with everything in place Ill try to get them posted the weekend.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Subscribed

I'm using a Acewell speedo due to running a CRF hub, but curious to see your pics and how you accomplished this mod.

Is this something you will be able to change back and forth as you switch from a 17" wheel to the stock 21" wheel?

·
Registered
608 Posts
I think so. . . You can undo cable, then remove speedo box assy, right, does it just pull out?
Yes, with the wheel off just unscrew the cable.

If it's just a "modified speedo box" (no mods to cable or hub) when changing between street (17" wheel) to dirt (21" wheel) you should be able to unscrew the cable and switch to the speedo drive that's calibrated the wheel.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok only a couple pics turned out well enough to see have to get some more but this is my fixture that I made to hold it in the lathe it fits around the bushing and has almost a press fit so that it centers decent and then I tighten the set screws to hold it.

Ok fyi the only modifying needed is to the bushing in the housing of the gear assembly this is only done to open it up to fit the 650l bigger front axle. No other mods are done and as long as you have the correct hub that will except the stock style speedo assembly you are good. Yes you can swap back to the old assembly for the stock front wheel and everything works the same as it did.

Attachments

·
Registered
272 Posts
Ok only a couple pics turned out well enough to see have to get some more but this is my fixture that I made to hold it in the lathe it fits around the bushing and has almost a press fit so that it centers decent and then I tighten the set screws to hold it.

Ok fyi the only modifying needed is to the bushing in the housing of the gear assembly this is only done to open it up to fit the 650l bigger front axle. No other mods are done and as long as you have the correct hub that will except the stock style speedo assembly you are good. Yes you can swap back to the old assembly for the stock front wheel and everything works the same as it did.

Well whats up , you gonna offer up the labor for this , or , supply parts and labor , what up ,

get 1 done and I'll buy it from ya , in fact , you wanna just sell the prototye . :clap:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I dont know but I can figure out a total cost to you guys and just charge you that and I will order some up gettem machined and ship them out . I got mine thru powersports plus they were the cheapest I found at 33.32 but they charged me 17 dollars for shipping although I had 3 other small things I ordered at the same time seems a little harsh. I think with 15.00 dollars for me to machine them up the cost is going to be about 65 bucks by the time shipping is added in . Let me know what ya think and how you guys would like to do it.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts