SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
quit due to the costs

I quit racing a couple years ago due to the economy, its an expensive thing. most of the best racing venues are hundreds of miles from my home. (stateline, california speedway, willow springs, grange motor circuit) it costs a lot of time and fuel to get there, then its expensive to actually race. if its a weekend race i regularly would spend 1000-1500 to participate, and if you win you might walk away with a 20$ trophy and bragging rights. (i love to ride but at 1000$ ill have to pass)

the closer tracks are small and have little or no dirt sections. (70-30 is the ratio...that means 30 % dirt with real jumps people. or toss in a few urbancross jumps like the AMA or Troy Lee used to do ) without the dirt or BIG jumps its just twisting in a parking lot which isnt supermoto racing as far as im concerned.

Supermoto was a growing sport here in America for about ten years. it really headed south when the AMA stopped racing then the economy tanked. I think the track owners and promoters need to up the ante on building better tracks and changing them up so its a different experience when you go back. (my A.D.D. dont alow me to ride the same circle and enjoy it for too long)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I did my first race last week at Qualcomm..and I would have started earlier, but I just got a supermoto :D

Now im bummed that their is only one more race..

·
Registered
196 Posts
I really like this thread topic and believe it's totally worth a reply! :clap:

So i'm probably one of those "new riders we need to get into racing SM." So please reply to my thread and help a brother out. :bannana: I'm 27 and have a track only (wish i had a street legal :rolleyes2:) race preped 04' Husky 450 SMR that i've used at two trackdays so far (Apex and Grange).

I tried to race sportbikes (yes this will lead to supermoto in a moment) but didn't have the money (very expensive track time, 1 day per set of tires, gas, etc...). I decided to throw in the towel not just because of the money but because sponsorships were nowhere in sight for me (so i was going to pay through the nose for a while until i was much better and had better equipment). I was new and fast for how new i was but it doesn't matter, unless you win the big races, you get no help.

Here are my reasons for not racing supermoto.

1) COST:

Subcategory A)
The cost for one race is about double the cost for a full track day. I don't think this should be the case. Drop the cost of races by 50% and even I (with very little experience would be out there racing). I think you would more than double your turnout (which increases all of the vending sales as well) and would get people racing in multiple classes if they happen to have more money to spend.

B)
The smallest purse in the world makes people happy! If i had the opportunity to win $20 for first or even $5 for second and third place I would be gunning for it! Someone else on here posted (i think you mr thread starter) that purse for all classes would be great. I don't think it would be great, i think it is key.

C)
Sponsors need to come out of the woodwork. Just having that feeling of support from SOMEONE, even if it's Joe Bob your next door neighbor, makes you feel like you are part of a team effort and you have people standing beside you. Sponsor my 3 gallons ($14) of gas that i would put in my bike for a practice day and race. Sponsor some of my 2 gallons of gas that i use every time I go to the track to practice. $20 a month towards gas or tires from a couple of people would keep the gas prices off my mind and make me feel like it's not just me that's in it to win, but us. The "US" feeling is important.

D)
Mountainmoto said it early on in this thread that carpooling to tracks would be helpful and i think he's totally right. Friends to go to the track with is economical and fun. I live in Riverside and am trying to go to Apex or some track every week at least. I have a beat up truck that i can fit one more bike in so pm me if you want my phone number so we can get some track time in.

In short- if the price of a races drops drastically, or i get sponsors to cover some of the expenses, you will see me racing. However, you may see me pop in on practice days to size up competition regardless. :lol:

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Nice response.

Funny, it is interesting to see how many people are out on 'practice' days at the various tracks, but when it comes to race day, there is less than 1/4 of the people.

What does that mean? People want to have fun and not have the pressure of a "real race"? It seems that all my fun days at whatever track, every session turns into a race one way or another, seeing who you can hang with.

So, is it pressure, cost of the racing with limited laps vs. a reduced cost and unlimited laps?

Sure would be neat to have that order reversed somehow.

I am older, and worry about injuries (work). I get tired and sloppy having too much fun at open practice days and have had a serious crash and plenty of close calls pushing too hard. Knock on wood, I have never had a real scare or even a tip over at a race event.

:hmmm:

·
Registered
429 Posts
I'm from over in Oz, and I've stopped competing. In all areas of motorcycling.

I have lost the love for it mainly because it's so regimented. So many rules and regs, everything is on their terms, so many fees. And, understandably so. Fair enough.

You go through all the hoops just to do skids and bang bars with my buddies. When I can do it on practice days without all the bullshit.

The last few times I raced I reflected on it all, and thought I would be winding it up. Basically because the freedom just wasn't there.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I used to see that in car events. Auto-x, and open track used to be such a stuffy, arrogant, closd minded sort of event. They were busy thinking about NOW and themselves, rather than the future of the sport and making it attractive to those on the outside looking to get in. Drag racing was always casual and low key.

I now instruct open track road racing type events with a really casual crew and try my best to relate the casual-fun side of things, as long as everyone is safe. Attitudes and hassles run off as many people as the high cost and travel time.

I always used to really enjoy the motocross races that I participated in the early '90s. Nice, casual environment there as well, by both track officials and competetors, though there was always the occasional scuff between a couple racers. Not bad, considering the competetive nature of the folks and that they were mostly young and eager.

In my mid-40's now and I have to say that our local SoCal race organizers (Sttars-SDKA-Apex) and racers are just as helpful (perhaps more so) on a race day than even a casual open track day.

The Qualcomm event that I attended seemed a little more regimented with classes, tech and such, but I attributed that to us Supermoto guys working our way into what was then a Shifter Kart organization running an event at a Auto-X venue.

I think they have grown and improved over the last year or two and will continue to do so.

Bottom line, it's supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun and becomes more frustration, financial risk / burden than it's worth, then it isn't worth doing.

Hopefully the attempts to get more street oriented first timers out there will show results, and in time, with an improving economy both the riders and track owners will have the ability to invest more time, money and effort into this sport.

And for me, at this point in my life, I have much more fun riding / racing my silly DRZ in stock form than going all crazy with the top shelf parts and maintenance on my KTM. You don't need a big wallet, in depth technical / mechanical skills or a racing background or athletic history to get out and do this. Tape up the lights, kick the tires and go have fun at the track with some real great folks. It's a hoot, even if we all aren't on the podium.
We used to have our local "DRZ Invasion" days at local kart tracks a few times a year. Those were awesome for pretty much any street plated supermoto. Big fun, without all the hassles.

*Perhaps instead of race dates, tracks should be hosting first-timer street legal event dates where people can come out and just get over the intimidation of being on a track with racy bikes and fast guys and just ride around for a few sessions for fun. I am sure they will make it up over time as once people try it, they are surely going to want to come back out. It's our future, and it is what we make of it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sounds to me like all you guys are babies who have soft egos because you think you are all that but actually suck on the track. Nothing comes easy, suck it up and start by getting on you bike every week. Don't make excuses, be a do-er not a talker. Ride for free in the woods. Work your way into racing slowly. Be real, do it for the right reasons. Use your incremental accomplishments on the bike to boost your self esteem to succeed at work or even find better work. It will pay for your hobby and allow you to live a good life to boot. Don't drink smoke or do drugs and work hard and it will all work out. Then you will be like all the other racers. Then you will be able to look at yourself in the mirror and see a cool guy staring back at you. Your children will want to listen to you because they will respect you.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Sounds to me like all you guys are babies who have soft egos because you think you are all that but actually suck on the track. Nothing comes easy, suck it up and start by getting on you bike every week. Don't make excuses, be a do-er not a talker. Ride for free in the woods. Work your way into racing slowly. Be real, do it for the right reasons. Use your incremental accomplishments on the bike to boost your self esteem to succeed at work or even find better work. It will pay for your hobby and allow you to live a good life to boot. Don't drink smoke or do drugs and work hard and it will all work out. Then you will be like all the other racers. Then you will be able to look at yourself in the mirror and see a cool guy staring back at you. Your children will want to listen to you because they will respect you.
Your penis will get larger too!

·
Registered
363 Posts
SANDBAGGERS.:bs:

BUT I STILL RACE WHEN I CAN JUST FOR THE FUN!

·
Registered
196 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Am i missing something? I just visited the site you have listed and when you look at "Entry" tab it's shows $100 for the first race and each additional is $0. What "race for free" thing are you looking at?
If you have never raced with SMX before, you will be able to race your first Sportsman class for free.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts